Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 01:49   #1
BHPian

Which new set of tyres - Here's some information.

When it comes to a new set of wheels for our cars, we always scout around the max before we get them. Possible reason: We ain't satisified with what is currently on or just looking for a change to see what the other tyre has to offer. In simpler words, curiosity So here is a brief preview as to what the different set of tyres does and to what kind of drive is it suited for. As the list is exhaustive, please feel free to add.

The most widely discussed/sold tyre is in order of preference is
1. Bridgestone
2. Michelin
3. Goodyear

This is followed by the rest of them but to say that these 3 are slogging it out for the top would not be wrong, although Michelin is slowly and steadly taking over the BS.

1. BS:
Of the various tyres that BS sells, the most commonly sold tyre would be
a Potenza(Sporty segment, although now not available)
bS322
c S248

2. Michelin
Of the various tyre Michelin Sells, the most commonly sold tyre would be
a.Energy XM1+
b.PP1/PP2

3. Goodyear
Eagle F1 GSD3
Eagle NCT5
GPS2

Here is what I think how these tyres would perform

BS Potenza: By far and large the largest selling tyre for all. A high performance tyre designed for a good ride comfort combined with excellent braking facilities. However, with the Potenza’s no longer in stock and other better options available, buying a Potenza now-a-days would be a not so wise choice.
Suited for
High speed drivers.Offers good grip in both dry and wet weather conditions.

S322: This tyre is designed to offer a good ride comfort without compromising on the grip. However, for all of us, who have used this set of tyre before, would nto quite agree with BS’s here. The 4 grooves do offer good grip on low speed but on high speeds and wet weather conditions, this set of tyres are beaten hands down over it’s rival.
Ideally suited for slow drivers or low mileage cars. Caution: Prone to punctures.

S248: Virtually the same as the S322.
Suited for – Low budget segement for those who carry, “It’s just a tyre” thought

Michelin’s
A class apart and in a league of their own. Have quickly and quietly taken over from the BS’s especially in the Indian market and are eating into a huge chunk of their share. BS really needs to come up with something special or risk loosing its Numero Uno title to its numero uno competitor.

XM1+ : This tyre beats all the other tyres hands down in terms of a daily use tyre. Last longer than any other tyre without compromising on the grip or its safety. Is being slowly replaced by on all cars and might be putting the MRF’s soon out of business. Although a bit on the expensive side (4400 in NCR), but totally worth the money. Ideally suited for, those who wish to have a comfortable ride and do not wish to change the tyres before 50K.
PP1/PP2: The king in the performance segment so far. Has forced the BS to stopped production for the potenza’s and is the favorite of all performance driven drivers. Excellent tyre offering amazing grip in both wet and dry weather conditions at good high speeds. Again, slightly expensive (around 4100 in NCR) but totally worth it.
Can't go wrong with the PP's

Goodyear:
Eagle F1-GS3D
As the company says “ Not for everyone”. This tyre being a uni-directional tyre is the ultimate in traction and handling.. IT’s a great choice for high performance enthusiasts. However, where good year looses out is probably on bad marketing and the “foreign” factor. Let’s just say that the company is bit outdated and needs to liven its take and needs to wake up to it’s competition. I guess it’s still suffering from the aftermaths of the BS destruction.
Ideally suited for Goodyear loyalists & wet weather conditions.
Not recommended for people who wish to make their tyres last for 50K and above.

NCT5
Is in competition with the PP1/PP2 but somehow lacks the technology to beat the Michelins. However, can be considered as a cheaper alternative to the Michelins, especially who don’t’ feel like spending 4K on a tyre. Not a bad buy. Good value for money. Not recommended for hill driving though.

GPS2- The same as the BS S248 but available at a cheaper cost of 2500.

In addition to the individual details, I would also like to take a minute to mention the significance of the grooves of the tyre.
Most of us are looking for a good tyre grip (after all that’s what tyres are for) along with a certain, good groove design to compliment the alloys. However, I feel it’s important to mention that one should also consider the environment where he drives. For eg, people who drive in wet weather conditions or moist areas like Vizag or Pondi or further down south, should avoid the BS S248 or the GPS2. Instead, for the wets, one should go for the uni-directional tyres such as the Yoks of the Goodyears Eagle but if people stay in the NCR and drive mostly around the city or on the highway, the uni-directional tyres may not be the best choice of tyres. Uni-directional tyres are designed mostly for wet weather conditions and in NCR, other than the last few days, there’s been little rain. This is the reason why the uni-directionals would wear out faster here than moist areas. For dry areas, go for the XM1’s or BS turanza’s or the PP's for performance.
A word of advice, For hilly areas, one should avoid the low-profile tyres.

Having said all this, at the end of the day, all that matters is not the car, not the tyre but the person driving. A little bit of common sense and a little bit of patience would make sure that the one’s waiting for us and the others at home, do get to see their loved one’s. Let’s just be respectful towards other people on the road remembering that not all make mistakes. Let’s keep road rage away.

Cheers!
M2S

Last edited by ajmat : 26th May 2008 at 07:06.
married2speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 13:57   #2
BHPian

Nice informative post M2S.. Thanks for sharing
Old 30th May 2008, 00:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thats a very well laid out guide married2speed. I liked the way you gave a quick overview of whats popular in the market and then gave your opinions on each one individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
.... Uni-directional tyres are designed mostly for wet weather conditions and in NCR, other than the last few days, there’s been little rain. This is the reason why the uni-directionals would wear out faster here than moist areas....

A word of advice, For hilly areas, one should avoid the low-profile tyres.
Well, i think any tyre would last longer if it was always driven in wet conditions - not just uni-directional tyres.

Also, why avoid low profiles in hilly areas? I would say avoid low profiles in areas where the roads are uneven. Some hilly areas do have fabulous road surfaces.

cya
R

ps - i have changed the title from :
Which new set of wheels-Here's some information.
to
Which new set of tyres - Here's some information.
Old 30th May 2008, 01:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NCT5
Is in competition with the PP1/PP2 but somehow lacks the technology to beat the Michelins.
Is this true? I thought NCT5s were normal regular use tyres, whereas the Pilot Preceda's are performance tyres.
Old 30th May 2008, 02:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

No, it's not. NCT5's were never in comparison with PP's. They are in comparison to Michelin Energy series & Yoko A-Drives etc.

That is the reason they come fitted on cars like the C-Class, E-Class etc. Theya re supposed to be comfort biased.

In Goodyear's range comparison to PP is by GSD2/3.
Old 30th May 2008, 07:48   #6
BHPian

Potenza GIIIs aren't available any more? Bridgestone must have a replacement, any idea what that would be? I'd think the Turanzas are not, because they're more of an all-round type of tyre than performance-based.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any review on the MXV8 by michellin ?
Old 30th May 2008, 11:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
1. BS:
Of the various tyres that BS sells, the most commonly sold tyre would be
a Potenza(Sporty segment, although now not available)
b S322
c S248
S322: This tyre is designed to offer a good ride comfort without compromising on the grip. However, for all of us, who have used this set of tyre before, would nto quite agree with BS’s here. The 4 grooves do offer good grip on low speed but on high speeds and wet weather conditions, this set of tyres are beaten hands down over it’s rival.
Ideally suited for slow drivers or low mileage cars. Caution: Prone to punctures.
Cheers!
M2S
IIRC Bridgestone has stopped manufacture of the S322 quite some time back and replaced that segment with the B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I use the MXV8 (205/55/15) on my Verna CRDi. I must say that its awesome in the handling department. Was stable at high speeds/during braking/ and in twists and turns on the ghats.

Was confidence inspiring. Have just run 5400 kms on it hence no idea about tyre wear / life as yet
Old 30th May 2008, 11:44   #9
BHPian

Are you sure the Potenza's are not manufactured anymore? I doubt that considering dealers are still receiving fresh stock of the same. Have also heard that there are plans to have it produced in India, in the future.

Nice write-up otherwise.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
IIRC Bridgestone has stopped manufacture of the S322 quite some time back and replaced that segment with the B250
Thats news for me!!
Production of B350 has been stopped.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:18   #11
BHPian

Thank you for the compliment rehan. It's always a pleasure to contribute. Having said that, i still have to learn a lot.

Quote:
Well, i think any tyre would last longer if it was always driven in wet conditions - not just uni-directional tyres.
This is absolutely true. A tyre last as long as it's made to last. However, there's a slight difference in the way uni-directional and non-unidirectinal tyres are made which makes the non-unidirectional tyres last a bit longer
The Uni-directional tyres have the lowest rolling resistance of all tyres types’ thus enhancing straight-line acceleration and shorter stopping distances. This makes the rubber burn at a faster pace no matter how well a tyre is made to last in comparasion with it's counterparts.
Also, the rubber compound used for uni-directional tyres is made to perform better under wet conditions,so when the tyre doesn't obtain the required temperature during dry weather conditions, there is a performance drop, thereby, leading to a faster wear out.
Quote:
Also, why avoid low profiles in hilly areas? I would say avoid low profiles in areas where the roads are uneven. Some hilly areas do have fabulous road surfaces.
My thought on this is
1. In the hills, there's a tendency to under-steer the car, which can cause maximum damage to the sidewalls on high speeds, thereby increasing chances of a a tyre/suspension failure.
2. The gravitional forces act in the opposite direction thereby, increasing pressure on the tyre. A bigger sidewall, would increase the area which would reduce the stress on the tyre as well. This is also one of the reason why it's always recommended to pump up the tyre pressure while driving in the hilly areas.
Having said that, this would apply mostly to high speed driving scenarios.

Let me know if i'm wrong in my thought.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2008 at 23:32. Reason: quote fixed
Old 30th May 2008, 14:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Potenza GIIIs aren't available any more? Bridgestone must have a replacement, any idea what that would be? I'd think the Turanzas are not, because they're more of an all-round type of tyre than performance-based.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Are you sure the Potenza's are not manufactured anymore? I doubt that considering dealers are still receiving fresh stock of the same. Have also heard that there are plans to have it produced in India, in the future.
GIII's manufactured in Japan are no longer available as they've been phased out worldwide. What BS has cleverly done is ship those old moulds to India & now whatever new GIII's you'll find in the market will be Made in India. Needless to say that's one of the reasons I always ask people to avoid the GIII's now.

Airfoil - Yes, Turanza is their comfort/touring series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats news for me!!
Abey dhakkan, he means B250!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Nice comfort tyre, pretty silent.
Old 30th May 2008, 15:27   #13
BHPian

@Iraghava: Thanks for clearing that up. The 'Made in Japan' tag did inspire a lot of confidence in the tyre (Potenza GIII), atleast for me
Old 30th May 2008, 15:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats news for me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Abey dhakkan, he means B250!!
Oye Ishan Venkattakutty
I know Suren has mentioned about B250 thats why i said its news to me...
I just shared the information about B350's production which has been stopped.

BTW isn't B250 available in limited sizes unlike S322??
Old 30th May 2008, 16:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@married2speed, that was a fantastic overview of which tyres for which conditions for which people. However, i slightly disagree with you on BS S322's. I have them stock on my Accent and i do agree they aren't that great. but, they are not too bad too. I take steep turns on a daily basis @80kmph and i don't feel that tyres aren't that gripping enough. But, over this speed then i can see the grip losing to a large extent ( only if in a steep turn).

Also, my car has done 25k kms until now and only one puncture.

I am waiting for 35K mark and them would love to change to a better, bigger performance based tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks