Team-BHP - Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Same Profile, Same Make. But still difference in diameter. Possible? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/40462-same-profile-same-make-but-still-difference-diameter-possible.html)

I just bought some new footwear for my Baleno. Will be posting the pics soon. Here are some details.

Tyre: Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD 3
Profile: 195/60/R14
Alloys: League

I know some people are surprised that how I got GSD3 with that profile. Minku, who is leading distributor of Goodyear in the Eastern Zone, informed me the day before that GSD3 are now coming for R14s (previously nothing below R15 was available). He has got some fresh stock. I was going for Michelin PPs before that.
Sunday morning I rush to his shop. After going through lot of dilemma, I decide to go for GSD3. (Looks does matter :D). Also I found on some sites that GSD3 has received quite a good number of points and are above quite a number of brands in the performance tyre section. I know there are lot of Bhpians who hate Goodyear. Some have some bad experiance and some have heard about it. But I didnt find enough review of GSD 3 here. So thought of taking that extra risk.
Finally I got everything for 28K (alloys+tyres+alignment_wheel balancing - my old 13" rims). The looks of the car changed completely. I was damn impressed.Minku wanted to take some pics of the car with the new footwear and put it in his shop.

Story took a new turn when I went to meet Black Pearl (another proud Baleno owner). He was also happy and agreed the car looks very very impressive now. He recently bought some new footwear for his car as well.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2
Plati Alloys
Profile: 195/60/R14.

We then started comparing our tyres. I found that while turning from left to right the tyres are kissing my Sparco mud flaps. Black Pearl was shocked. His same tyre maintains approx 5mm and never kisses his mud flaps(stock ones). After enough research we confirmed that the overall diameter of my tyre is nearly 4-5 mm more than his tyres.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?????:Shockked:
Same profile. Same Make. But a difference of nearly 4-5 mm in overall diameter. FYI the tyres had the correct pressures as well.
More than that, even after the correct upsize (as per all the calculators) how can my tyres kiss the mud flaps. Trust me, even if I get them replaced with the stock ones, it would still touch them.
If anyone has any answer to this please do tell me. Also what are the disadvantages if the tyres touch the mud flaps when moved from right to left and vice versa. Any help from the Baleno club or anyone will be greatly appreciated.

I would be posting some pics very soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrooooooom (Post 850434)
how can my tyres kiss the mud flaps. Trust me, even if I get them replaced with the stock ones, it would still touch them.

Did u try it and check??
Also try to swap wheels with BP and check if its touching.
Were the tires of both Balenos having the same air pressure?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 850454)
Did u try it and check??
Also try to swap wheels with BP and check if its touching.?

Ya thats our next plan. Swapping wheels. But one can clearly see that one tyre is taller than the other. Ignore measuring it with a scale.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 850454)
Were the tires of both Balenos having the same air pressure

I had 29 psi and BP maintains 28psi. But can minor pressure difference make such huge alteration in the overall diameter.

Could it be a slight difference in diameter of the alloys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 850509)
Could it be a slight difference in diameter of the alloys?

So does that mean I have a R14.5? But again if the diameter is different how will a R14 tyre fit in that. Somehow the tyre looks wider. (I mean the side wall seems wider). Planning to write to Goodyear :Frustrati

Wheel offset/width coming into play?

All things being equal, most probably its a problem with your Sparco mud flaps.

I have aftermarket (equivalent to OE) mud flaps on my Baleno and Goodyear Eagle Ventura - 205/55/R15. Earlier I had the problem of the tyre touching the custom mud flaps. No problem after I switched to OE equivalent.

Could be anything. Tyre wear can cause the diameter to reduce, a used tyre will have some degree of permanent flex (in the sidewalls) which can cause a reduction in overall diameter, you will find an even bigger diff if you compare a loaded tyre with an unloaded tyre.

So, i don't think 4-5mm is a big deal. Your tyre will flex/wear-out as it gets used and eventually reduce in diameter.

Shan2nu

In this case both tyres are brand new. BP's tyres are a couple of weeks old.

@vroooom, what are the widths of the alloys? 5.5J, 6J etc? One possibility could be that yours is narrower than BPs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 850520)
All things being equal, most probably its a problem with your Sparco mud flaps.

I have aftermarket (equivalent to OE) mud flaps on my Baleno and Goodyear Eagle Ventura - 205/55/R15. Earlier I had the problem of the tyre touching the custom mud flaps. No problem after I switched to OE equivalent.

Only way to know that is. Switch my tyres with BP and check it out. But somehow I feel the problem wont solve. The Sparco mud flaps are not that thick. More or less similar to the stock ones.
In between, what are the disadvantages of having tyres that kiss mud flaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrooooooom (Post 850563)

As long as they are just kissing, its okay. If they start to procreate, you'll end up with radial mud flaps probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 850546)
In this case both tyres are brand new. BP's tyres are a couple of weeks old.

@vroooom, what are the widths of the alloys? 5.5J, 6J etc? One possibility could be that yours is narrower than BPs.

Is there any site where I can go and find that. I forgot to note it down. The alloys are from League
:OT Do you have any plans to meetup today to see the new footwear?

Quote:

Only way to know that is. Switch my tyres with BP and check it out. But somehow I feel the problem wont solve. The Sparco mud flaps are not that thick. More or less similar to the stock ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvd (Post 850569)
As long as they are just kissing, its okay. If they start to procreate, you'll end up with radial mud flaps probably.

Easier to switch the kissing mudflaps and check if they procreate on BP's car :D

Quote:

Whats a radial mud flap?.

Lemme answer that. Its an offspring thats created when 2 rubbers procreate without using..umm.. 3rd kind of rubber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvd (Post 850569)

Whats a radial mud flap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 850546)

That sounds like the most probable reason.

Also, do the two balenos have the same wheel arch size? There might be minor variation across generations of the same car.