Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 15:06   #31
BHPian

An intresting observation.

Last time when I had balanced my ride’s tyres at Tyre Professional (RVRoad, Blore), they tore away all the old sticker weights. When I asked them to just add or remove only what is needed, they said that’s not possible we do things perfectly blah…blah…blah, and hence start with no weight and then add as needed. End result: 670gms of weight on 4 tyres.

This time I went into Madhu’s Tyres (Langford road, Blore), they removed a few grams, added, only what is needed, and balanced all 5 tyres (including the stepney which had its weights removed last time). Ended up using only 250gms.

Now the question,
Do we have to balance the wheel taking out all the old weights?

And, as long as one sees ‘OK ‘ ‘OK’ in that computer screen, one can be assured that the tyres are balanced correct, right?

Is there an better way to remove the sticker weights, without scraping it off with a screwdriver, leaving marks on the alloy wheels?
Old 30th May 2010, 16:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Carboy -- I give up!! Ishan, if you are reading this, please help!

Spinerr --- I have answered that query in another thread.

Let me search and post the link here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1895390-post83.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1895608-post85.html

Also, at Madhus Enterprises, did they remove some of the sticker weights or all? As far as I know, they HAVE to remove ALL the sticker weights. Because in many cases, trying to do balancing while having the old weights on the wheel will lead the computer to ask for much more weights.

Also, you can NEVER compare the weights used during one balancing and during the next a few thousand kms later. For all you know, maybe the second time, even at Tyre Professionals, they may have used only 250 gms.

And anyway, in this case, I would say Tyre Professionals carried out the correct procedure which is best for the long term. The weights will not fall off before your next wheel balancing. If the guys at ME didnt remove the old weights COMPLETELY, I would say they were at fault.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 30th May 2010 at 16:42.
Old 30th May 2010, 16:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Past my 20 mins.

So, adding a new post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1048525-post10.html

I missed this point.

Spinerr --- In any case, as a paying customer, you have the right to ask the guy to do the balancing first with the old weights. If the computer shows a very small amount of weights to be added, then you can go ahead. And if the computer asks the technician to add 70-100 gms or more, then you can remove the old weights and try again. But if by chance the computer then asks for 150 gms, it is your bad luck. Because they cannot reuse the sticker weights.

There is no way to predict how much weights your tyre/rim will eat. Also, consider this. After 3 or 4 wheel balancings, the inside of your rim will be covered with weights!

http://www.weightsaver.com/index.htm

See this. This is a new technology being introduced to reduce the amount of lead weights that is used on a wheel. I've seen from my experience that it actually does make a difference.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 30th May 2010 at 17:03.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
carboy : About balancing, we still don't have any information which says it needs to be done except when the tyres are removed from the wheels - i.e. when you are replacing tyres.
Car manufacturers will suggest/recommend WR & WA intervals. Over & above this, you can do this when ever you find the WA to be awry - like when you have hit a pot-hole or stone / speed breaker at high speeds. I have not see a Car manufacturer suggesting/recommending a WB at any pre-defined interval. If it was required/necessary, they would have.

I have done WR + WA at every 10000 km's. But WB - never.

I am currently facing a WA problem which taking time to resolve. I will be doing one more check at Madhu's, and if it doesnt get resolved, I will then ask for a WB - and only on the current front wheels. And this will be my first WB after more than 55k km's of running.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:16   #35
BHPian

@Nikhilb2008
Thanks for those links and the tip, shall keep that in mind.

May be next time on I should insist they start balancing the wheel after removing all the weights.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:13   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Wheel alignment: every 5000 kms
Wheel balancing: every 10000 kms
Wheel rotation : every 10000 kms

This is my way. And i've learnt that if i keep it this way, my suspension will be in a good shape for a long time. Most of the car owners complain to tyre dealers that they got cheated with bad tyres(which wear out fast), but they never think that the suspension should be cared about.
Balancing : Check.
Rotation : Check.
Alignment : I have to confess, I get it done every 10,000 kms (along with the balancing & rotation) and haven't really faced any issues till date (uneven wear, car pulling to one side, handling compromise). While a 5,000 km point may be recommended, and you / Nikhil would have good reason to do so, I prefer to stick to the 10,000 km interval. Rather get all three done together, than visit the shop for alignment only once in 3 - 4 months.

P.S. I used to get them done at 5K earlier (including rotation), but have shifted since.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2010 at 10:14.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:25   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rotation : Check.
Alignment : I have to confess, I get it done every 10,000 kms (along with the balancing & rotation) and haven't really faced any issues till date (uneven wear, car pulling to one side, handling compromise). While a 5,000 km point may be recommended, and you / Nikhil would have good reason to do so, I prefer to stick to the 10,000 km interval. Rather get all three done together, than visit the shop for alignment only once in 3 - 4 months.

P.S. I used to get them done at 5K earlier (including rotation), but have shifted since.
That doesnt matter. As long as you get it done regularly. Also, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a blanket rule for everyone. Some people drive moreon smooth tarred roads. For them 10,000 kms is fine. for people who drive more on bad roads, I would recommend 5-6k kms intervals.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:28   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GTO, what's need to get balancing done so frequently? Every tyre site I looked at says that the only time balancing needs to be done is when the tyre gets removed from the wheel. Which typically happens when you replace a tyre. Why would a balanced set of tyres get unbalanced in between?
Old 1st June 2010, 10:30   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

didnt you go through the links I posted previously? Due to tyre wear, the point of imbalance changes. And after 5-10 thousand kms, they change significantly and will lead to increase wear and tear on suspension components. You may not feel it in your steering but there will be a change. Also, it will lead to increased uneven wear on your tyres.
Old 3rd June 2010, 08:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

When should I do the WB/WA

@nikhilb/GTO/BHpians

I am in two minds regarding the wheel balancing/alignment. My Fiesta has covered 7K+ on the odo in 6 months and recently completed 2nd service. Acco to Ford I should do the WB/WA after 10K, is this correct. In my earlier Santro I used to get it done every six months acco to Hyundai manual.
Pls advise. Should i wait for the monsoons to end or get the WB/WA before the monsoons knowing the true picture of Mumbai monsoons.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:09   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Get it done. You wont lose anything by getting it done at 7k kms. You will just correct any existing mis-alignment.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:23   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
You wont lose anything by getting it done at 7k kms.
Not true. He will lose money if it's done when it's not neccessary. If the handbook says 10K & he doesn't feel any problems, why to get it done?
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:26   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...es-here-6.html

Go through this thread carboy.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

^ It is just as a preventive measure. Like doing to the doc for periodic checks or when you have a light cold rather than waiting till you are bed ridden. It will give you peace of mind rather than finding something major after a long interval. Plus again as he said it all depends on the type of terrain being driven over
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:59   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Which post in this thread? There are 6 pages.

Basic fact of the matter is nothing will go wrong if you do something more frequently than adviced in the handbook. For eg. You do can do an oil change every 3000kms instead of 10000kms, but is it neccessary. Most regular oils (mineral not synthetic) stay good upto 10000 kms atleast. So you are essentially wasting money by doing oil changes when not required. Likewise, I think balancing also should be done when required, not some arbitrary mileage figure which has no basis.

Quote:
didnt you go through the links I posted previously? Due to tyre wear, the point of imbalance changes. And after 5-10 thousand kms, they change significantly and will lead to increase wear and tear on suspension components. You may not feel it in your steering but there will be a change. Also, it will lead to increased uneven wear on your tyres.
I went through the links. Only the first link talks about balancing - the others don't. Even the first link is pretty vague. From your first link
Quote:
The wheels should be balanced when new tyres are fitted, any time that the tyre is removed from the rim and at regular intervals to take into account any variation in tyre balance from irregular wear.
It doesn't say what is a "regular interval".

To counter that, take a look at these links
Car Talk

Quote:
Is there any maintenance required between intervals?
No.
Car Talk Tip: Don't forget Newton's Seventh Law: Tires in balance tend to stay in balance. If you're having your tires rotated, don't pay extra to have them rebalanced. You probably won't need it. Have your tires rebalanced only if you feel a shimmy or vibration.
Car Talk

Quote:
Ray: Actually, I almost forgot the one legitimate reason for balancing tires every time you rotate them; kids in college. The dealer's kids, that is. It takes nearly 20,581 tire balancings to get a kid through MIT these days...and that's not including books and student activity fees! 1669
Car Talk is a radio show on NPR in the USA.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd June 2010 at 11:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks