Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 17:57   #1
BHPian

Do I have a slow-leaking Stepney?

Hi friends,

I checked my Stepney after maybe over a year (I know bad practice) and turns out that it showed a PSI of 12 compared to 32 PSI in the other tires. Is that supposed to be normal, Or do I have a slow leak?
Old 8th June 2008, 18:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

yes you have a slow leak. otherwise the air you filled in the tyre would be still there. But considering that you filled the air in the stepney one whole year back and never bothered to check it till now it can be assumed that this kind of a pressure drop is natural. I believe that you must've have checked and refilled your other tyres regularly if so then that is the reason your other tyres are normal.

Anyways fill the air in the stepney and check the pressure after two days, if there is a pressure drop of 2 or 3 units then it definitely is a leak that has to be attended.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Based on the time interval mentioned, I believe it is normal. But, just to be on the safe side, fill her up and then check after few days. Should be more or less the same.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:38   #4
BHPian

Thanks folks. Filled. Will cross-check in a few days.
Old 8th June 2008, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

i had a flat tire few moths ago in my alto

so i took out the stepney and i was fearing that the tire would have very little air but to my relief the tire had normal amount of air which i filled 2 years ago

so i think you have a slow leaking tire
Old 9th June 2008, 10:35   #6
BHPian

Definetely a slow but sure leak. The diff in tyre pressure would not be more than 2-4 psi at the most even after a year.
Old 13th June 2008, 15:28   #7
BHPian

As manikjeet mentioned there will not be a such a loss in pressure after one year, there is definetly a leak, examine the mouth area of the tube, most of the time they are the culprits, I suggest you to check the tubes before you hit the road for a long drive, it's alwasy a best practice to check the stepney once every 5 months at max.
Old 11th November 2019, 14:45   #8

Re: Do I have a slow-leaking Stepney?

Hi All,

Sorry to bump up the old thread. Mods, please move if required.

I have a small issue with my Left Front tyre. The mentioned tyre takes a lot more time to fill air than the other tyres. I got it check at a tyre dealer shop (and not a puncterwala at the road side), but according to him there is no leaks.

I asked him also why does it take so much time to fill air in that particular tyre, he also had no answer. But he said the tyre does not have any issues.

Can any of the learned guys on this forum help me.

Thanks
Aqua
Old 11th November 2019, 16:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I had similar issue on two of my tires. Reasons - after ruling out punctures by removing the tyre from the wheel - were faulty valves. Tried to replace the only the inner valve (i.e. the steel screw with the tiny rubber tube) but didn't work. Ultimately, replaced with new valves and no more loss of tyre pressure. Looks like the rubber seal which fixes the valve to the wheel didn't quite fit tight and air was leaking through it.

While you are at it, check wheels for bends / disfigurement.

And, while removing the tyre from the wheel, get the entire rim cleaned out. If the tyre beading doesn't fit tight on the rim, air will leak.
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 12:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
I had similar issue on two of my tires. Reasons - after ruling out punctures by removing the tyre from the wheel - were faulty valves. Tried to replace the only the inner valve (i.e. the steel screw with the tiny rubber tube) but didn't work. Ultimately, replaced with new valves and no more loss of tyre pressure. Looks like the rubber seal which fixes the valve to the wheel didn't quite fit tight and air was leaking through it.

While you are at it, check wheels for bends / disfigurement.

And, while removing the tyre from the wheel, get the entire rim cleaned out. If the tyre beading doesn't fit tight on the rim, air will leak.

Thanks Prabhu for the response, will check it during wheel rotation which is due.

BTW, had checked the rim from outside for bends, and it was fine.
The issue is that the air filling in that particular time takes more time than the other 3 tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks