Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 21:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

@itzzme - well, i agree that there is supposed to be a difference. But how much?
I honestly felt that the MXV8, even though they were comfort oriented, provided better performance and comfort than the goodyears. Also, the goodyear's had a minimum of 4 punctures in each tyre. those were the worst tyres we have ever bought and apart from looks, they have nothing going in their favor.
Old 13th June 2008, 22:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@itzzme - well, i agree that there is supposed to be a difference. But how much?
I honestly felt that the MXV8, even though they were comfort oriented, provided better performance and comfort than the goodyears. Also, the goodyear's had a minimum of 4 punctures in each tyre. those were the worst tyres we have ever bought and apart from looks, they have nothing going in their favor.
You mean to say handling and traction was also better than GSD2..
that's great...
Old 14th June 2008, 02:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well.. I have had experiences with Bridgestones (s248), Goodyear Eagle NCT5 and Michelin (Both is 185/65R14) in my Baleno and unless you are a performance freak..XM1 (XM1+ now) is the way to go..have completed 201k kms on them till now, believe they will last another 20k at least..and in a tyre that is 20k kms old..there is no road noise..(the reason due to which I dumped my Gyear NCT5s)..very comfy too..would recommend anyone who does not want to follow michael schumacher
Old 14th June 2008, 09:54   #19
BHPian

I have recently changed to XM1+ 185 70 R14 from Stock on my Swift Vxi. Huge reduction in road noise and amazing grip. Excellent grip even on smooth surfaces. Have driven at 100+ speed on the streach between Ghatkopar and Vikroli on Eastern Express Highway, which witnessed 150 accidents due to skidding in one week, still no problem. No skidding even in sudden braking. Would recommend them strongly.

Last edited by bill1182 : 14th June 2008 at 09:56.
Old 21st June 2008, 12:56   #20
BHPian

XM1+ for Palio - Confused

Hey Guys,

In most of the posts regarding Michelin XM1+ and MVX8, I read that they are for comfort and not performance oriented.

What does this mean? You will not be able to do 150-160 kmph or above on these?

I have got Palio 1.6 Sports and thinking to go for XM1+. But I am confused now. I am looking for comfort/ride quality but I will be hitting the speeds of above 140s on highways(occasionaly)...so is XM1+ is right choice?

Can anybody clarify?

Cheers
Pankaj
Old 21st June 2008, 19:59   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pankaj,
The Michelins would be perfect for you since you are looking at comfort.
By comfort oriented tyres, the tyre has been design to give an emphasis on comfort rather than performance and in no way is related to the speeds the tyre is capable of.
When you buy a tyre, they come with a speed rating and that is what tells you the speeds the tyre is capable of.
For eg, S rated tyres are capable of going at 180kmph safely. The can go faster but it isn't advisable.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Pankaj,
The Michelins would be perfect for you since you are looking at comfort.
By comfort oriented tyres, the tyre has been design to give an emphasis on comfort rather than performance and in no way is related to the speeds the tyre is capable of.
When you buy a tyre, they come with a speed rating and that is what tells you the speeds the tyre is capable of.
For eg, S rated tyres are capable of going at 180kmph safely. The can go faster but it isn't advisable.
Thanks @lamborghini. I have opted for Michelin Enery XM1 +. I have checked Yoko as well. But somehow I liked Michelin. The grip and comfort have improved over the stock tyres.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

i have these MXV8 tyres too on my viva too now, size 195/60-R15 on 15x7J alloys, LEAGUE brand ones, i do not have a lot of experience with tyres in the higher segment, this is the highest segment tyre i have bought till date, and they just rock compared to all the other ones i tested or had a test ride on.

i really havent had a chance to ride a car with yokos or dunlops so i cant compare them yet, but then like i explained my experience with these tyres in the following thread i tells how much i love them!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/875353-post37.html

These tyres do rocK!
Old 26th June 2008, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Which bridgestone tyre is in competence with Michelin mx1+ and which of the two is better?
What is the difference between mxv8 and mx1+ and is the mx1+ launched in bangalore?

Can i blindly opt for mx1+ for optra 1.6?
Old 26th November 2008, 01:37   #25
BHPian

need a tyre change for my civic. i want to maintain the original stock size 195/65/R15. i have touched 206kmph on mum pune xpress, and do maintain 140-160 on most occasions on the xpressway.
xm1+ and mvx8 would have ideally been what i'm looking for given the lower noise and better comfort, however i dont know if it would be prudent at the speeds above. secondly are any of these available with a V rating.
lastly the pilot pp2 - i'm curious to know how these fare in terms of comfort, noise and wear - given that they are performance oriented.
would aprreciate all inputs - tks
Old 26th November 2008, 09:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Have MXV8s on my Civic. Good for regular driving, not very confidence inspiring for spirited driving. At high-ish speed lane changes, car feels a bit loose. Roll is also there, but it could be because of the suspension. But, a good comfort tire. Better than most in their category.

@ Zimbly - PP2s are a class apart. The best tires I've used till date. Cant comment on the noise. But, ride is a bit harsh (me no complaining).

Last edited by shuvd : 26th November 2008 at 09:26.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

MXV8 is an excellent comfort oriented tire but overpriced.
PPs are brilliant in terms of performance but prone to sidewall bulges.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
MXV8 is an excellent comfort oriented tire but overpriced.
PPs are brilliant in terms of performance but prone to sidewall bulges.
So it boils down to XM1+ if you want a balance of budget, comfort, handling etc.
Look at both XM1+ and MXV8, whichever u get a better deal.stick to it...

Abhi
Old 26th November 2008, 11:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbly View Post
need a tyre change for my civic. i want to maintain the original stock size 195/65/R15. i have touched 206kmph on mum pune xpress, and do maintain 140-160 on most occasions on the xpressway.
xm1+ and mvx8 would have ideally been what i'm looking for given the lower noise and better comfort, however i dont know if it would be prudent at the speeds above. secondly are any of these available with a V rating.
lastly the pilot pp2 - i'm curious to know how these fare in terms of comfort, noise and wear - given that they are performance oriented.
would aprreciate all inputs - tks
the prices of michelins have really shot up and you might find the mxv8 a bit pricey. at least i did. have a look at the yokohama c-drive. of course i dont know if the mxv8 is much better but im sold.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
So it boils down to XM1+ if you want a balance of budget, comfort, handling etc.
Look at both XM1+ and MXV8, whichever u get a better deal.stick to it...

Abhi
Abhi
XM1 range starts from 12" and ends at 205/65-15.
MXV8 is only available in 15" and 16".
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the prices of michelins have really shot up and you might find the mxv8 a bit pricey. at least i did. have a look at the yokohama c-drive. of course i dont know if the mxv8 is much better but im sold.
Yokohama C drive is only available in 225/60-15. Not for Civic.

Most Viewed