Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2008, 00:35   #1
sat
BHPian

yokohama distributor/dealer in Delhi? which ply tyre?

Would anyone know the contact nos of the Yokohama distributor/dealer in Delhi.

I would like to purchase tyres 207/70/15 for two Maruti Gypsy.

For a 2nd Gypsy which is used 90% on poor tarmac roads & balance on a dirt road (farm) I would like to purchase cross ply's from Ceat or MRF.
Any suggestion which cross ply's I should purchase, Ceat F78 15 HT85 are available in 4 or 6 ply, what advantage will there be in the 4 ply, will the ride be softer. I have used the Ceat F78 15 HT85 find the ride a little stiff with 20 psi in 4 tyres.

thanks

sat
Old 14th June 2008, 01:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Contact Iraghava. he can give you good details
Old 14th June 2008, 11:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Would anyone know the contact nos of the Yokohama distributor/dealer in Delhi.

I would like to purchase tyres 207/70/15 for two Maruti Gypsy.

For a 2nd Gypsy which is used 90% on poor tarmac roads & balance on a dirt road (farm) I would like to purchase cross ply's from Ceat or MRF.
Any suggestion which cross ply's I should purchase, Ceat F78 15 HT85 are available in 4 or 6 ply, what advantage will there be in the 4 ply, will the ride be softer. I have used the Ceat F78 15 HT85 find the ride a little stiff with 20 psi in 4 tyres.

thanks

sat
YOKOHAMA contact in delhi as per overdrive: 66099559.
Old 21st June 2008, 02:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sat, did you get the tyres or you still need help? Sorry for the late reply was out travelling.
Old 13th July 2008, 08:59   #5
sat
BHPian

Still need advice. Have decided to avoid the tubeless like yokohama since I live in rural india, puncture repair hassle.. none of the tyre repair shops where I live have worked with tubeless.

The choice is between

Ceat 205/70 R15 (F78 15 HT85) in 4 or 6 ply or (have been using these in 6 ply)

Mrf ZGT 205/70 R15 with ply rating of 95S & load inflation of 690@2.20 (single, kgs@kgs/sq.cm)

MRF Exports | Tyres | MUV / RCV / Passenger Car - ZGT

spoke to several ceat technical/sales people, to choose between 4 or 6 ply, mixed feedback, I was also advised 8 ply for softest ride quality.

The 1986 gypsy (engine still not opened, original paint etc) will be used to carry 2 - 3 foreign tourist + 1 driver for jeep safari (80% on poor tarmac roads & balance on a dirt road/track) max speed will be 70-80 kmph.

Ceat needs to redesign their website, awfull way of showing their product range, could not find the 205/70 R15, no search window either.

The MRF site will suggest the correct tyre for the gypsy but no image of the tyre tread.

sat
Old 13th July 2008, 12:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sat, why not use a tube in the tubeless when you have a puncture & wait till you come to a big town again? Or is that going to be too much of a hassle?

Or if you are a DIY guy/have a driver who's somewhat willing, you can repair the puncture yourself.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:52   #7
sat
BHPian

Quote:
why not use a tube in the tubeless when you have a puncture & wait till you come to a big town again? Or is that going to be too much of a hassle?
Too much of a hassle to go to a big town. The gypsy is used 7 days a week for foreign tourist in season time( 6 months). morning & evening trip is 30 km each, so 60-65 km a day only. So there will be no time to go to a big town.

We do have a scorpio with tubeless which is a problem to repair, perhaps we need to read up a little more how to diy. Are there any sites/post which can educate us, driver is willing. When we do go offroad sometimes, thorns are a real problem. We once had 18 punctures in a lhd 4x4 CJ3B mrf 600.16 ndms tyre.

On the look out for the endangered Lesser Florican these days.

thanks

sat
Old 14th July 2008, 13:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well cross ply tyres will always have more punctures due to absence of protective steel belts that are there in radials.

My suggestion is to use a better compromise, tubed radials! You get ease of puncture repair & protection (to quite a large extent) from punctures. What say?
Old 14th July 2008, 14:37   #9
BHPian

Yes, I too suggest you fit tube-type radial tires instead of the bias ceat tires. Besides having a longer tread life radials will do a great deal of good to your ride comfort too. I fail to comprehend how the ceat sales guy could have recommended 8 ply bias tires claiming that they will have the softest ride.
Old 14th July 2008, 18:48   #10
sat
BHPian

which tubed radials?

Quote:
My suggestion is to use a better compromise, tubed radials! You get ease of puncture repair & protection (to quite a large extent) from punctures. What say?
I'll listen to the pro's here, tubed radials it is, I presume there will be a improvement in ride comfort too (utmost importance). Any suggestions which tubed radials one should go for? will google your suggestions to have a look at the tread pattern.

sat
Old 14th July 2008, 19:07   #11
BHPian

Sat I suggest you go for 215/75/R15 size radials. The 205/70/R15 though apt for Gypsy has been discontinued by most indian manufacturers. Besides 215 would be more comfortable for ur usage {this i presume is either bharatpur or ranthambore, 'coz on my yearly trip to ranthambore i specifically seek out a gypsy with radials }
Old 14th July 2008, 20:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok Sat this is going to get a little complicated, so I hope you're sitting down!

Here are the options:

1. 195 R15 - Available in Bridgestone D689 Tube type. But the OD difference between the stock size & this is beyond tolerance.

2. 205/70 R15 - This is available in Bridgestone, Yoko, BFGoodrich etc. All tubeless though. But I believe since your running mainly slow speed, off-road stuff, these would work just fine with a tube inserted in them.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

ishan, how does inserting a tube in a TL tyre help one from puncture? The TL ones are more puncture resistant AFAIK.

Ok, sats problem is repairing the TL punctures. Get him to delhi and give him or his driver a crash course on TL puncture repairs..

If he gets punctures in TL then, IMO he'll get more punctures in the tubed variety, wont he?

BTW, NDMS is a different ball game altogether, I have driven my CJ3B with NDMS on the highway with a punctured rear right for almost 20 kms to repair it as i didnt have a jack!

Oh, why not run flat tyres for the gypsy - are they available ?

Last edited by headers : 14th July 2008 at 21:01.
Old 14th July 2008, 21:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
ishan, how does inserting a tube in a TL tyre help one from puncture? The TL ones are more puncture resistant AFAIK.
It doesn't help with the punctures but it helps with the repair, that's his primary problem.

Quote:
Ok, sats problem is repairing the TL punctures. Get him to delhi and give him or his driver a crash course on TL puncture repairs..
Well I could arrange for some training for his driver(s) but it's his call.

Quote:
If he gets punctures in TL then, IMO he'll get more punctures in the tubed variety, wont he?
Probably yes, more chances of punctures BUT they'll still be very few & far between compared to cross ply tyres that he's currently running on.

Quote:
BTW, NDMS is a different ball game altogether, I have driven my CJ3B with NDMS on the highway with a punctured rear right for almost 20 kms to repair it as i didnt have a jack!

Oh, why not run flat tyres for the gypsy - are they available ?
Not unless you want to upgrade to a ridiculously wide tyre in 17/18" or something like that. And they would mostly be designed for saloon car with an on-road bias.
Old 15th July 2008, 01:03   #15
sat
BHPian

Will call the various dealers for 205/70 R15 Bridgestone, Yoko, BFGoodrich to get a price quote.

Quote:
this i presume is either bharatpur or ranthambore
Wasava,
Its not bharatpur or ranthambore, its an area between jaipur/udaipur as the crow flies. Over 250 lakes in the area, great for birding. Roads are better than ranthambore.. I too look out for the oberoi gypsy (bridgestone dueler H/T) in ranthambore which have been very nicely customised by manvendra singh barwani, ride was much softer than all the other gypsy's we used during out 9 drives. Wonder if the suspension of the oberoi gypsy's have been modified.

Quote:
I fail to comprehend how the ceat sales guy could have recommended 8 ply bias tires claiming that they will have the softest ride.
I must admit two (one from technical dept) of the ceat people from jaipur were very polite & gave the correct advice & prices of tyres , how much discount one should get from the dealer etc. we were thinking of buying the 4 ply 205/70/15 cross ply hoping for a softer ride. The sales person who suggested 8 ply was a new recruit.

What I find disturbing is when companies refuse to divulge any price indication of their product, saying do get in touch with the dealer. 3 dealers gave different prices with sizeable difference in price.

Worst of the lot was the tata green batteries office in jaipur.

Does anyone apart from MRF make the ndms 600.16 ndms tyre for jeep in India.

sat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks