Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 23:50   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Forget about any reliable treatment, there is no treatment available at all. You can't even vulcanise at that place. Too risky to even think of repairing. Replacement is the only solution.
That's a Negative Gd Bhai. Tubeless tyres can be repaired. Don't know about other places but it's being done here in apna gurgaon and there are no side-effect so far.
This happened with me, my brand new, 50km run Michelin PP1z for my NHC, run over something, manage to get a deep cut right on the tread. No amount of haggling with the michelin representative could get it changed. It's then when the tyre dealer suggested a place where I could give it a shot. Cost incurred - 200 bucks. Nothing negative to report right now, after 2K running on front end at speeds of 140 regularly on the expressway.
I do keep checking if the cut gets any wider, so far, it's doing ok.

Sidewall cuts are definately repairable, just need to find the right person.
Cheers!

PS: Don't ask me how the guy fixed my tyre but there's no vibration, no bubbling nothing and the car runs, purrfect.
Old 5th July 2008, 01:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
That's a Negative Gd Bhai. Tubeless tyres can be repaired. Don't know about other places but it's being done here in apna gurgaon and there are no side-effect so far.
This happened with me, my brand new, 50km run Michelin PP1z for my NHC, run over something, manage to get a deep cut right on the tread. No amount of haggling with the michelin representative could get it changed. It's then when the tyre dealer suggested a place where I could give it a shot. Cost incurred - 200 bucks. Nothing negative to report right now, after 2K running on front end at speeds of 140 regularly on the expressway.
Quote:
Cheers!

PS: Don't ask me how the guy fixed my tyre but there's no vibration, no bubbling nothing and the car runs, purrfect.
M2S - A few points:

1. You say you had a cut on the "Tread", can we see some pictures if possible before & after repair?

2. Rahul's case is different as he does not have a cut on the tread but on the "Sidewall".

3. Have you ever used a tyre with a repaired sidewall?? I would really like to know your reply to this point.

Because I've twice used tyres on my cars which had sidewall cuts & were repaired using the local "hot patch" method. In both cases the tyre was only usable as a short distance spare tyre. Due to the repair of the sidewall the tyre had a permanent imbalance which mean that if you ever tried to go above 80 kmph there was massive steering vibration. And as for their longevity, I'm sorry but I could never have the courage of testing them out for more than a handful of kilometres as I didn't know how sturdy the patch was & how long it would hold.

I reiterate, most people take Tyres for granted but in our conditions & given the importance of good tyres I would rather spend my hard earned money on getting a new tyre than taking my chances with a repaired one. Just my two cents.
Old 5th July 2008, 03:32   #18
BHPian

I have something very similar on my es100. My dealer put a tube in it. I use it as a spare
Old 5th July 2008, 09:03   #19
BHPian

Sidewall cuts are "not repairable" . This means that they should not be repaired due to potential safety hazards that my arise. Unlike the tread, the sidewall constantly flexes when running over a road. This constant flexing will eventually break loose any type of repair. The problem that can arise is that if you are doing 140 kph and hit a good size pothole, the sidewall will flex a lot and the repaired section may fail resulting in a blowout and loss of vehicle control.

Sure, tire repair wallahs will fix it to make a few rupees from you, but do you want to risk your life driving a damaged tire?

The only thing that I would recommend is that you keep it as a spare. But keep in mind to keep the speed to 60 kph or so. Just put in a big patch on the inside and add an inner tube.

And by the way, trying to get a warranty claim for a clear case of road damage is a bit unrealistic. Indian tire companies would go out of business if they replaced every tire that failed due to road hazard damage. And I am not aware of road hazard insurance like they have in the U.S. (which would cover this type of damage).

Regards,

Gaurav
Old 5th July 2008, 10:36   #20
BHPian

Rahul,

Some evil body has try to pierce your tyre with a very sharp object unfortunately they were not successfull. get it changed there is no way you cna get it repaired.
Old 5th July 2008, 10:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

I also assume that the tyre may be old, could have happened due to excessive sidewall flex too. Did you by any chance drive the car with low tyre pressure even for 100 metres?

What does your dealer say?
Old 5th July 2008, 11:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^ no headers i have not driven with low pressure, well i have a good air pressure gauge and check the tyre pressure every week almost but to my surprise the pressure in tyre has never reduced even once i checked in the fuel pump and it was same on all tyres. never filled air in 5k kms

Anyways dealer told me no warranty on the tyres so i asked them to change 2 of them, will put one in spare as till now spare was OE size

Thinking of fixing both new tyre in front but ES100 was not available :( ..... he has promised me to get it on monday, right now i have put the spare tyre in place of busted tyre.

one more question, this tyre can be moved form left to right ?? IE if removed from rim and rotated ??

because i am thinking about putting the rear left tyre to spare and front right to rear left and new tyres in front ...... it can be done right ??

PS: got a call from yokohama delhi, all india sales head and his engineer will come to inspect the tyres lets see how it goes.

PPS: tyre dealer told me get the tyres repaired but i don't think i will take chances with this, better get a new tyre because i mostly drive on highways and can't take risk there.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 5th July 2008 at 11:12.
Old 5th July 2008, 11:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
one more question, this tyre can be moved form left to right ?? IE if removed from rim and rotated ??

PS: got a call from yokohama delhi, all india sales head and his engineer will come to inspect the tyres lets see how it goes.

PPS: tyre dealer told me get the tyres repaired but i don't think i will take chances with this, better get a new tyre because i mostly drive on highways and can't take risk there.
Yeah it can but the same situation exists, you will still have the same doubt with the tyre.

Anyways, good news is that the Yoko guys are coming to inspect the tyre. You could tell it that it is a faulty tyre and has got hard and cracked due to it being shelved for a long time before being sold, and you have been the unlucky customer.

Start ranting about why you thought Yokos were the best and all only to be treated like this!

Am sure, the guys will give you a replacement atleast @ 10% cost of a new tyre. Be presistant and All the Best!

Yes, you cant take a risk with such tyres IMO!
Old 5th July 2008, 12:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

If this cut happenend due to faulty tires, it casts doubts on the Quality of Yokohama tires, I for one will avoid Yoko tires in future & would never recommend to others.

But, I hope that Yokohama owns it up and accepts the defect & treats it as a one off case.
Old 5th July 2008, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

But, I hope that Yokohama owns it up and accepts the defect & treats it as a one off case.
Thats not going to happen. BTW its not the first time i'm hearing of a sidewall cut in ES100...
Old 5th July 2008, 14:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
M2S - A few points:

1. You say you had a cut on the "Tread", can we see some pictures if possible before & after repair?
Well, I don't have the "before" picture as the repaired tyre has run in 2K on it but i'm posting an "After" picture. The only difference between both the scenarios was that the before would have had a "flat" tyre while the "after" a fully inflated one and the outside cut is held together by fevi-quick to prevent the cut from further opening up due to debris.
Cut mark on tyre :(-img_0186.jpg
The work is done on the inside of the tyre and not outside. I can go and check with the bloke who fixed it as to how they fixed it, but it's sure that they did not put a tube or a "piece" inside as both these options were "not an option" which was made clear to them. Had this tyre been giving me trouble, I would have run to the dealer to get a new one, albeit with a heavy heart.

Quote:
2. Rahul's case is different as he does not have a cut on the tread but on the "Sidewall".
True, but no harm in showing it to a guy who can "possibly" repair and see if it can be used without any harm.
It'll save him a good amount of money and if the tyre can be repaired for 200 bucks and works fine, he can donate the 4grand to other needy people on team-bhp who can upgrade the ICE or airfilters . The shop that I took my tyre to, was also repairing sidewall cuts.

Quote:
3. Have you ever used a tyre with a repaired sidewall?? I would really like to know your reply to this point.
Negative. Haven't used one but the one that I am using, doesn't have anything negative to report. I agree that both scenario's are different but all I'm saying is that, there's no harm in him atleast trying to see if this works out for him. He can buy a new one anytime.
Quote:
Because I've twice used tyres on my cars which had sidewall cuts & were repaired using the local "hot patch" method. In both cases the tyre was only usable as a short distance spare tyre. Due to the repair of the sidewall the tyre had a permanent imbalance which mean that if you ever tried to go above 80 kmph there was massive steering vibration. And as for their longevity, I'm sorry but I could never have the courage of testing them out for more than a handful of kilometres as I didn't know how sturdy the patch was & how long it would hold.
If you still have the tyre maybe we could check it out together, take it to the repair shop and see what does he have to say.

Quote:
I reiterate, most people take Tyres for granted but in our conditions & given the importance of good tyres I would rather spend my hard earned money on getting a new tyre than taking my chances with a repaired one. Just my two cents.
but what would you do if the new one also manages to get a cut and then the new one and then again. Would you really shell out 5grand every day for a new tyre. Having said that i have nothing against safety, all I'm trying to say is that there's no harm in trying to save the dying before buying a new one, with of course, understanding the hazards that the dying one posses. If it's a cancer, better discard it than let it spread.

Hope this helps
Cheers!
M2S
PS: Apparently, this guy is the only one in entire gurgaon who does this and only a few people know about it. The guy will only repair it if it can be saved and was recommended by the dealer itself.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats not going to happen. BTW its not the first time i'm hearing of a sidewall cut in ES100...
yeah man when they removed the tyre to inspect the sidewall damage, i also was quit surprised with the width of side wall, it is hardly anything and very very soft, you can press the sidewall easily with a finger and you can see it on the otherside :-/
Old 5th July 2008, 19:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

My response was very specific to this particular problem of the cut on the sidewall. A repaired sidewall is too risky and my intention was to discourage even an attempt of doing so. A cut in the tread and sidewall are two different ball game altogether.

Quote:

Cheers!

Old 5th July 2008, 23:32   #29
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
^^ no headers i have not driven with low pressure, well i have a good air pressure gauge and check the tyre pressure every week almost but to my surprise the pressure in tyre has never reduced even once i checked in the fuel pump and it was same on all tyres. never filled air in 5k kms
I think the appropriate smiley here is . Looks like you bought your Palio Stile 1.6 at the beginning of April and from your thread you have set the tyre pressures to 29 psi then (already too low by at least 3-4 psi in my opinion, considering you do a lot of highway driving at good speeds). Over three months and 5000 kms, you would have checked the tyre pressures several times and the checking process alone will let off some air each time. Further, from April to July, the external temperature should have dropped drastically in Chennai, maybe by as much as 10 deg. C. Yet you did not feel the need to fill in air during this period? Very surprising indeed. I sincerely hope you set and measured the tyre pressures when tyres were cold. If not, you were running on seriously low cold tyre pressures.

And your upsized tyres on stock rims would already have that much more sidewall flex, as compared to the stock tyres. So I would put down low tyre pressures as the first suspect for your premature sidewall damage. By the way, was the damage on the outer or inner sidewall? Here "outer" means facing road. If your damage was on the inside, fouling with suspension/steering components is one logical possibility. If the inner clearances were inadequate, the extra sidewall flex of your upsized tyres could have led to fouling when you went over a pothole or a bump (especially considering that your tyre pressures were surely on the lower side).
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:33   #30
BHPian

Re: Cut mark on tyre :(

Shown below are pictures of right hand rear tyre. It is 1.5 years and 16000kms old. I noticed today a long cut between the treads. Do you think its a manufacturing defect? This tyre has not bothered me till now and there have been no punctures on it at all. This cut covers almost the entire circumference of the tyre. I went to the mrf dealer where I bought this and he said that it was probably cut when the tyre cover was being removed by a knife. Is this tyre safe to use?

Cut mark on tyre :(-p_20150723_104751.jpg

Cut mark on tyre :(-p_20150723_110657.jpg

Cut mark on tyre :(-p_20150723_110703.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks