Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:26   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Finally changed the innova's tyres to Yokohama C drive, stock size at Saifee in santacruz.

i wanted to change to 225 section but was advised to do so only if i do a lot of highway driving.
The tyres look nice. Wishing you happy and safe driving on them.

Couple of questions:

How much did Saifee quote for:

1> Stock size

2> 225 Size

3> Any credit for old tires?

4> Did he align them using a machine or the long iron rod and thread technique (they do an amazing job though!)
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Congrats..the tires look nice and also a perfect fit (the 225s bulge out a bit). I have no clue about goodyear assurance but my experience with their Eagle NCT 5 (185/65R14-Baleno) and Eagle GA Plus (165/65R13-Santro) has been less than satisfactory so I would not consider them in my next purchase at all.
same here. i have not heard good reviews about the goodyears & even though the Saifee guys were pushing me to go for the goodyears, i opted for the yokos. do they get a better margin over the goodyears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
The tyres look nice. Wishing you happy and safe driving on them.
thanks buddy.

Couple of questions:

Quote:
How much did Saifee quote for:

1> Stock size
Rs. 4660/-

Quote:
2> 225 Size
Rs. 5200/-

Quote:
3> Any credit for old tires?
Rs. 300 for 4 tyres!

Quote:
4> Did he align them using a machine or the long iron rod and thread technique (they do an amazing job though!)
sadly, he did not have a alignment machine & as you said, he used that old long rod technique.

in my car, the alignment was NOT done properly. they did it once, took it on a TD & said the car is pulling towards the left. they did something again & said the car is perfect now. but the car was still pulling towards the left. they even told me that my alignment was haywire when the car came in! IMO, it was running perfectly before these guys messed it up. they even dint allow me to see the wheels getting balanced claiming that we are not allowed to go inside. anyways, i have got the balancing & alignment done from a different shop now & now its fine.

overall, my experience with saifee has been just average. his rates were good but he can really invest in a computerized alignment machine.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd April 2010 at 10:47.
Old 28th April 2010, 01:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

Can you share any initial impressions though in my case the tires required a bit of break-in. the grip improved dramatically after the first 1000 kms
Old 28th April 2010, 09:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

even in my case, i have not noticed any major differences till now, compared to my earlier bridgestones.

by the way, this is my dad's car & i drive a scorpio, so i dont drive the innova very often. yes, but i am waiting to take it out on the highways one day & i will post my initial impressions then!
Old 10th May 2010, 18:17   #80
CDM
BHPian

225/60 on Stock Steel Rims?

Has anyone tried 225/60 on the stock steel rims? If so, what was the experience? Any fouling with the fenders, etc.

After going through all the threads, I am a bit confused as to whether to ho in for 225/60 without upgrading to wider rims.

Thanks.

CDM
Old 14th May 2010, 05:42   #81
Senior - BHPian

If the stock rims are 6J the size should not be a problem. The issue is not tires fouling with fenders - Innova has reasonable space. But the fact that inadequate rim width will not allow for the tire to set and flex properly needs to be evaluated.

If the rims are 6j+ in width you should do fine. 6J is the minimum width for 225 section tires.

I have 225/60 in my car but on Alloys that are 6J in width - note that apart from looks, alloys and steel rims (W/O Rust of course) are pretty much the same in terms of perf. Dont let anyone

The question you should ask is - A) are you a sedate driver who generally keeps the car at medium cruising speeds. B) Or do you drive as fast as you can, of course keeping your and others safety in mind.

A> 205/65 R15
B> 225/60R15 (But check that the stock rims are at least 6J width)

Of course the 225s will ride slightly (but ever so slightly) harder than the 205s because a wider tire picks up more road irregularities. the Upside is significant difference in grip - both in straight line and while cornering.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 14th May 2010 at 05:46.
Old 14th May 2010, 06:23   #82
Senior - BHPian

You could also talk to another bhpian - Jacksparrow who has 225s on stock steel rims

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1728478
Old 14th May 2010, 18:05   #83
CDM
BHPian

Thanks Buffetfan,

I think (or rather know) that I will in category B! So i guess its 225/60 R15 for me. I will ascertain my rim size. Do you know what the stock rim width is? I believe it is 6J.

Thanks

CDM
Old 26th June 2010, 18:22   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
You could also talk to another bhpian - Jacksparrow who has 225s on stock steel rims

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1728478
Any idea about the ground clearance with 225/60? Does it get reduced as compared to stock tyres? Any problem with that?
Old 27th June 2010, 01:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Any idea about the ground clearance with 225/60? Does it get reduced as compared to stock tyres? Any problem with that?
Sidewall height in the 225/60 tire is 225*.6=135 mm.
Sidewall height in the 205/65 tire (OEM) is 205*.65=133.25 mm.

So net net, your ground clearance goes up by 1.75 mm. It does not go down compared to the OEM tires.

Other pros and cons, I have listed earlier. Drive safely!
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of changing the tyres for my Innova tomorrow. I am thinking of sticking to stock size only and not upgrading as I do not want to upgrade to alloys and keep the good old steel rims.

The options being:
1. Yokohama C-Drive
2. Michelin Primacy LC

A couple of points strike me as I do this evaluation based on varied reading on various sites and discussions in our TBHP:
1. Yokos may have advantage on rainy and wet road, less noisy, less pricy
2. Mich PLC may be softer tyre, prone to punctures (?) or issues (?), not better in noise and maybe performance compared to Yokos (?), also more pricy

Other than the price factor (which is true) if the other evaluation is true, the option seems to be Yokos.

Any views?

Last edited by parsh : 22nd October 2010 at 16:39.
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

I recently upgraded my innova tires from the goodyears to yokohama AVS decibel,the

ride quality has become excellent now.The tire noise has also greatly reduced.I

haven't noticed any change in the mileage.Its the the stock innova size.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:46   #88
Senior - BHPian

Parsh - Both are good tyres but I would recommend using the C-Drives. They have stronger sidewalls. The only issue with the LC is a soft sidewall.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:09   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Parsh - Both are good tyres but I would recommend using the C-Drives. They have stronger sidewalls. The only issue with the LC is a soft sidewall.
Thanks Raghava.

I finally got Yoko C for my Innova at Premji's in Thane on Mon 25 Oct. They are running superb, not run a lot though, just about 100km. But the ride, handling and breaking is dramatically changed for better.

I was discussing with Mark Premji about them and he actually told me that it was the other way around, the Yokos being softer than the Michelins. He particularly advised me against getting the tyre sidewalls scrubbed especially while parking too close to road-side etc. Lets see. Now I have them on the car and atleast for quite sometime in future. Will have to see how they perform with longer drives.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:41   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Everyone here talk s highly about the michelin s but @ the local tyre shop i was advised against them ?? What s wrong with the stock B390 s finally thinking of replacing them with simliar one s !! Has anyone put michelin s on his innova can you post your experienc e ???
Hi BHPians,

I have used GoodYear and Michellin on my Innova. Of the two, I find Michellin XM1+ tubeless 205x65/R15 really good. I checked out the comparators (Yoko C, Bridgestone, Apollo, Goodyear) and found the Michellin to be the best. The Michellins are slightly expensive Rs5550/- per tyre but VFM. I know there are a lot of "Yoko admirers" in our team but, this is my first hand experience !

Have a great weekend!

Most Viewed