Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 08:04   #226
D4D
BHPian

re: Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello BHP-ians,

I have done 50k kms on my innova in which the rear tyres are unchanged (Front had to e changed after it developed sidewalls at 30k).

I am pretty much happy with stock tyres. Should I change to any other brand/size or just stick with 205/65 R15 birdgestone?

Regards,
D4D
Old 18th May 2014, 08:20   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Hello BHP-ians,

I have done 50k kms on my innova in which the rear tyres are unchanged (Front had to e changed after it developed sidewalls at 30k).

I am pretty much happy with stock tyres. Should I change to any other brand/size or just stick with 205/65 R15 birdgestone?

Regards,
D4D
This time please change all 4 tyres, preferable 5th one also but that is depending on the condition if the stepney. Try looking at Michelin or Yokohama's as a change to the Bridgestones.

Anurag.
Old 18th May 2014, 08:22   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Looking for some advice from the Innova Owners. I am planning to get a new set of tyres for my Dad's Innova. The driving would mostly be on highways(Udupi & Kundapur) and yes,it does rain heavily during the monsoon starting from June - Sept.
I have very less knowledge on tyres and hence seeking advice. Key things would be good road grip for both wet and dry roads(as the summers are pretty bad in this part of the world).
High speed personally driven vehicle - I would recommend 225/60 R15 size. If you are going to be a rear seat passenger in a vehicle driven at sedate speeds, go in for 205/65 R 15. I like yoko C.Drive for both wet and dry grip
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:48   #229

Hello Friends
Just got some new rubber for my Innova.
After all the research on INNOVA TYRES and my personal experience with the BS B390s, I finally went for the Yoko C-drives.

First Impression (at the store): should be more comfortable with respect to ride quality.

Impression after a drive of about 50 kms :
--> Ride quality : WOW (as if on a mattress). seems like a suspension overhaul.
--> Steering : BETTER
--> Noise : WHAT NOISE ?
--> Grip : Will have to wait for another 1000 km or so.
--> Braking : Seems Good but still have to wait.
--> Wet Grip : Not Tested
--> Cornering : Didn't dare to push hard, but still seems better than the stock tyres.

Will keep u updated with my further experiences.
NG111 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 22:43   #230
BHPian

Did a 3700 kms trip to down south.. The Pirelli doing their job we'll on my innova
Improved cushioning absence of road noise good dry and wet grip on Tarmac
Feels awesome as compared to my prev Goodyear gt3
Done 7.5 k on this new set
Long term reliability yet to experience
Old 17th June 2014, 18:45   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG111 View Post
Hello Friends
Just got some new rubber for my Innova.
After all the research on INNOVA TYRES and my personal experience with the BS B390s, I finally went for the Yoko C-drives.
@NG111, how much did these cost you? And how much did you get for your old tyres (and how many kms on them)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr_1445 View Post
I would recommend you to go for the critically acclaimed Yokohama C.Drive. Its brilliant for highways & delivers more than satisfactory results in wet conditions. Good grip, low noise, low rolling resistance. I have a friend who has these tires on his Innova, He's more than happy!
@sr_1445, how would you compare the C.Drives with your own Earth 1s? In particular in wet conditions?

Last edited by manson : 17th June 2014 at 19:21.
Old 17th June 2014, 23:21   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli.gator View Post

@sr_1445, how would you compare the C.Drives with your own Earth 1s? In particular in wet conditions?
My Earth-1s have decent overall performance, better than the stock B390s. As for the C.Drives I have driven my friend's Innova only once and not in wet conditions.

As far as wet weather performance goes, by looking at the C.Drive's asymmetric tread pattern , I would say that they are far better than Earth-1s. I would be tempted to say that C.Drives are way better than Earth-1s in almost every aspect.
sr_1445 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 23:30   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Has anybody used A/T tyres on Innova? Any feedback on the same?

The options seem to be in the 205/70 R15 profile and not in the OEM size, which causes deviation of above 3% in the tyre diameter. The options seem to be available in the Yokohama Geolandar, Bridgestone Dueller, Continental CrossConnect etc.
Guess nobody had tried such a thing so far.

We went ahead for change to A/T on our other Innova with the first set showing signs and some impending long drives planned, although the the old set could have lasted for another 4-5k kms with regular drive.

Tyre: Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012
Profile: 205/70 R15 96S
Difference in ODO and speed: 3.07%
Driven so far: About 5000 kms
Differences in profile as per 1010tires.com

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1010tires-comparo.jpg

What is NOT Good:
1. A bit bouncy on tarmac, more so as effect of jump from earlier experience of regular tyres?
2. A little unsettled ride at higher speeds. Need to keep speed in check unlike earlier we could throw caution to wind. However, getting used to it and it is settling down fairly well now.
3. A little unsettled ride while cornering and need to be cautious while taking swift turns unlike the Yoko C-Drive or even Bridgestone B390. But then C-Drives are altogether different drive experience which stick to road like nothing else.
4. FE drop of about .75, with regular use in Delhi traffic.

What is Good:
1. Gives that previously unknown confidence now during mud-sporting unlike earlier B390 or even grippy Yoko C-drives.
2. From small experience, gives a more firm and planted ride on sandy tracks. However, need to experience for long sandy drives.
3. Profile looks good and overall nice look of the shoes on the car.
4. Sturdy and well protected shoulder.
5. The Geolandar A/T-S pattern itself is quite a looker other than being useful.
6. GC seems to have improved a bit and the potholes & high speed breakers etc can be maneuvered more effortlessly now.
7. Observation after consistent use, the ride settled down to nearly similar to regular tyres.
8. Tyre-road noise is not bothersome.
9. Not much change observed in braking.

Peculiar thing observed. Fitting was done very well. But some high speed instability observed. So took it to re-balancing all the wheels again. It took quite some time to get the wheels balanced. The readings kept shifting somehow with the weights being fitted, purely based upon the machine readings, which even the mechanics were not able to reason. The machine was not faulty, it is in continuous use and have used it earlier to balance Yoko's too. But ended well finally and the ride is pretty good now.

How it Looks:

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20140603_10_17_33_pro.jpg

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20140603_10_18_39_pro.jpg

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20140603_10_19_00_pro.jpg

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20140603_10_19_19_pro.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 30th July 2014 at 04:29. Reason: Post edited on request.
parsh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 14:07   #234
BHPian

My 2008 Innova just crossed 100000 kms and it is time for another tyre change- the first one happened around 50K. And this time it will be 5 tyres to be replaced- I had retained the fifth in first change.
May I please request tyre recommendations. It has stock rims. The car is usually used for self city drive and highway family travel. Self driven. Comfort takes precedence and my speed bursts are too few and far between.

I also need advise on whether I should upgrade to alloys now.
btw I did think of changing the car but surprise.... even now no vehicle fits the family vehicle space like Innova does. I guess it will always remain with me.

Am also putting up a long term ownership report as well as 2 other projects I have in mind- body repair to hide the daily duels it has had for the last 100000 kms and then an ICE upgrade.
caramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 20:00   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramit View Post
My 2008 Innova just crossed 100000 kms and it is time for another tyre change-
Immediately after taking delivery of my Innova last September I upgraded the stock Goodyear GT3 to Michelin XM2 keeping the stock 205/65/R15 profile.

It's been 14000kms, not a single puncture, wet grip is really good, side wall sustained some high speed potholes and is very very silent compared to Goodyear GT3s and the ride quality has improved substantially even with recommended tyre pressures i.e 33 PSI front and 33 or 36 PSI rear.

If you frequently do speeds above 100kmph you could think of upsizing to 225/60/R15 which will definitely give good grip.

I think XM2s are not available in 225/60/R15 size.

BHP-ian Buffetfan had really good experience with Yoko C Drives but I was bit skeptical about Yoko's side wall strength hence I avoided Yokos.

I cant comment about other brands because I don't have any first hand experience. Though dry grip of XM2s is not as good as what I would have liked I think it's a good all round tyre geared towards comfort more than grip.

My two cents.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 20:18   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramit View Post
I also need advise on whether I should upgrade to alloys now.
btw I did think of changing the car but surprise.... even now no vehicle fits the family vehicle space like Innova does. I guess it will always remain with me.
I have tried Bridgestone B390,Goodyear GT3 and Michelin XM2+(current one). The best ones according to me are the Michelins. The dry grip is good but the wet grip is much better than both other tyres. The other two used to aquaplane a lot but not this one. It has reduced but not eliminated.

My advice don't put an aftermarket alloys if you travel alot on bad roads. They get dented. You can read my entire ordeal here:Innova
If you still want to put alloys then put Lenso's they can take pretty good damage. A friend of mine put it on his Innova at 30,000 km and it has lasted till now without a single scratch his car has done 1,70,000km+ and he is not a sedate driver his cross member has broken due to his driving style.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:26   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Hello BHP-ians,

Regards,
D4D
Hi you shouldn't go for a change as Bridgestone tyres are good and have lasted without giving you a problem.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:52   #238
BHPian

Thanks @dean5545 and @mroptimist
Have a flat tyre again!!!!!!! Today and puncture won't help. Have been advised to use a tube. So the time has come for a change today. Off to ATM. Let's see what michelin costs.
Btw after reading your experience with after market alloys, am not inclined towards them. Will look at Lenso though.
Old 2nd November 2014, 13:36   #239
P76
BHPian

Hi friends, can people who have 225/60/15 tyres installed in Innova throw light on the following aspects :
1. Steering effort vis-à-vis the OE 205/65/15 tyres
2. I have a rather un-comfortable experience in my other vehicles in which I had put wider rubber - I feel the vehicles have a tendency to sway violently to steering inputs due to the increased road contact and grip when compared to stock tyres. Is there any sort of difference in handling of the Innovas with wider rubber?

I would appreciate your inputs on this. Thank you in advance !!
Old 16th November 2014, 01:34   #240
Senior - BHPian

Friends while searching for threads on tyres for Innova, I stumbled upon this thread. Many thanks to all folks who have contributed to this thread. Last week I brought home a pre-worshipped Innova-V 7 seater. The car has just run over 50K kms and the car is on stock Goodyear GT3s. As one of the tyres was damaged, the previous owner has recently put in a new Bridgestone B390. I want to replace the remaining four GT3s as they are already 6 years old (they have a Nov-08 stamping on sidewalls). Now my dilemma is whether to go for B390, so that all the 5 tyres are of the same brand/ make or go for 4 Michelins (XM2) and keep the one B390 as a spare. However later during tyre rotation, there will be 3 XM2s and on B390.

I enquired at N Mehta Wheels (Swargate) and Darshan Tyres (Chinchwad). Mehta wheels is quoting the following:

Bridgestone B390 - 5500
MRF - 5400
Michellin XM2 - 6000
Yokohama - 5800

Darshan tyres is quoting almost Rs 100/- more for each tyre make.

Since the previous owner has put one new Bridgestone B390, so I am inclined to go for them for the renaming four. Moreover they are costing 0.4K less than equivalent Michelins, which will save me 1.6K on four tyres. What is your opinion?

Most Viewed