Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2016, 11:35   #301
BHPian

Finally I went for Yoko Earth 1 and I am kind of surprised about how much bad situation my earlier tyre were. Other than obvious differences that you feel when you change to new tyres like more comfortable ride and lower noise, there are certain remarkable improvements that I felt. Immediately next morning after change I started my road trip to Jaisalmer. So I had ample opportunity to test these tyres against my earlier experiences as I have done a large part of this section lot of times earlier. The most important improvements is in high speed steering stability and responsiveness, driving on NE 1 was a different and much improved experience now. Also the control on vehicle both in terms of manoeuvring and braking is substantially superior even if I compare it to situation when my earlier B 390 were not so old. I can also feel better fuel economy on highways. So net net key learning for me is to not wait longer and change the tyre earlier than this time. I guess now 40k would be my limit. Overall quite happy with performance after more than 2k km ride with it.
anupamtiwari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:12   #302
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

HI Guys, Need urgent help.

My 2013 Innova V, has been 16 inch rims and was having Yoko DB 225/55/r16 Tyres. Now after 50k Kms, the tyres are due an replacement. However, keeping in mind the Cash crunch right now, I was planning to find a thinner profile tyres to keep the price low.

The tyre guy suggested i go for 215/60/r16 and said that it would not cause any problems and would provide far superior comfort. I checked using tyre upsize calculator, that this would be 2.7% larger in diameter compared to the original size recommended by company of 205/65/r15. Do let me know if this is acceptable tyre upsize? can I go ahead with this 215/60/r16?

Thank you
Old 16th November 2016, 15:17   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihkhan View Post
can I go ahead with this 215/60/r16?
You can go ahead with this tyre choice, it's still within 3% tolerance for Overall Diameter (OD).
Which tyre brand,model have you opted for & what's price per tyre?
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:44   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
You can go ahead with this tyre choice, it's still within 3% tolerance for Overall Diameter (OD).
Which tyre brand,model have you opted for & what's price per tyre?
Thank you,

I am going with Yokohama A348. There are very few options available in this size. Hope this is a decent model. I am looking for comfort and grip. what do you think about the model?
Old 16th November 2016, 16:03   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going with Yokohama A348. I am looking for comfort and grip. what do you think about the model?
Yoko A348 would offer good grip in both wet & dry conditions, don't know about comfort level. It's an older tread design though.
Old 16th November 2016, 16:31   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Yoko A348 would offer good grip in both wet & dry conditions, don't know about comfort level. It's an older tread design though.
Thank you for the reply. Any idea about the durability?
By the way, does it really matter if the tread design is old?
Old 17th November 2016, 08:51   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about the durability?
A tyre that offers good grip & comfort won't be long lasting & a durable tyre won't offer grip/comfort. It's always a trade-off among these.
Quote:
does it really matter if the tread design is old?
It doesn't matter, just shared my view. As long as you get relatively new tyre (less than 6-9 month old), it's fine.
Old 17th November 2016, 10:34   #308
BHPian

Quote:
A tyre that offers good grip & comfort won't be long lasting & a durable tyre won't offer grip/comfort. It's always a trade-off among these.
It doesn't matter, just shared my view. As long as you get relatively new tyre (less than 6-9 month old), it's fine.
Thank you. The tyre is June 2016 manufactured, hence no worries on the age aspect. I just got them installed. Will provide a feedback once i get a chance to drive them on a highway.

Last edited by ihkhan : 17th November 2016 at 11:01.
Old 26th January 2017, 01:06   #309
BHPian

giving a positive report of my michelin xm2 done 50k with them but now im not stretching them further.

what is the latest cost for new xm2s and anybody who has used xm2s and others for comparison can help me whether i should go ahead with xm2s

my first set was stock bridgestone 390s which i replaced at 44k

im on a roadtrip the ery next day i fit new tyres with alignment and balancing what tyre pressures should i use for brand new tyres since i will be straight away heading for 500kmplus drives immediately after repacement
Old 26th January 2017, 08:48   #310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
im on a roadtrip the ery next day i fit new tyres with alignment and balancing what tyre pressures should i use for brand new tyres since i will be straight away heading for 500kmplus drives immediately after repacement
No issue to use new tyres and head out on a trip. Just keep the initial 100 kms steady and normal as the tyres bed in.

For tyre pressures, depending on the load you're carrying in. Do add 1-2 psi over the recommended.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 09:21   #311
BHPian

can anyone let me know latest cost of xm2s in mumbai just for reference
is it better to get old valves changed at tyre change?
Old 26th January 2017, 10:21   #312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
is it better to get old valves changed at tyre change?
Yes buddy do change the valves at the time of the tyre change. Peace of mind IMHO.
Old 14th February 2017, 21:47   #313
BHPian

It's time to change my tyres. The continental CPC2's were exlempary. Used them for a good 56000kms, 4k KMS more than the Goodyear GT3s.

As usual contacted my tyre guy and he has suggested Nexen N7000 205/65R15 94v stock size for ₹5k a tyre. Though I have heard of the brand did a little research and it is a South Korean company and not many reviews either. He says it has good compound and offers the best of both worlds (Comfort and durability). Have any one of you used Nexen, not just pertaining to the Innova but on any of your cars?

Edit: Nexen has a huge market in the USA but not many reviews! Your inputs would be helpful!

Thank you.

Last edited by Shanksta : 14th February 2017 at 21:53.
Old 15th February 2017, 20:51   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I upgraded my innova's tyres last month after 3.5 Years and a odo reading of 53665kms from stock Goodyear's to conti CPC2'S 205/65 R15. Till now they have been tested on smooth, bad , very bad and absolutely hideous roads over a range of 2500kms. Very rugged tires, though it takes some time (400-500kms) to get used to these tires lower rolling resistance because of its superior quality. Paid 24500/- totally.
So after running close to 108075 kms on the ODO, had to get my tyres changed cause the Continentals had reached their TWI and the front left tyre had worn out unevenly on the edges.

The Continental CPC2s had served me brilliantly for their 55k kms that I had run them, only 3 punctures in their entire life. These were suggested by my friendly tyre guy Pramod of Raja tyres, Chennai. So called him up and he suggested Nexen. Though I have heard of the brand, do not recall even a single person using them in India. Plus I had also done some research on various tyres both on and off the forum and the following were the shortlist.

* Bridgestone B390 205/65 R15 94S - Rs 6200/-(Yeah! Its become expensive)
* Yokohama Earth 1 205/65 R15 94H - Rs 5700/- (Made for India)
* Maxxis MA-P1 205/65 R15 94H - Rs.5200/- (Rugged)
* Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 205/65 R15 94T - Rs.5500/- (Cheaper alternative to B390)
* Nexen N7000 Plus 205/65 R15 94V - Rs.5000/- (Korean Brand, relatively unknown in India)
* Maxxis MA-Z1 225/60 R15 96V - Rs.6200/- (Upsize + Maxxis + Awesome tread pattern)

Drove down to his shop, had a look at my choices and asked for Yokohama to be fitted. But he strongly recommended Nexen. But my only hesitation was that in the sidewall of the Nexen 3/4th the height is rigid but the shoulder where tread meets sidewall is soft and again the tread was hard. A quick google search and browsing through the company site gave me a lot of confidence. Plus these were approved by NHSTA and also had tread wear of 540(supposedly good), speed rating V(240KMPH) and same load rating of 94(670kg) as OE tyre. Also the fact that these were not some cheap Chinese brand and a good established brand also helped matters.

Looking at their list of OE customers and reviews was sold and asked them fit Nexen instead. Plus Pramod offered 5 years unconditional warranty on them.
Got them fitted, balanced, aligned and drove out after paying a cool Rs.20k/-.

Have driven them exactly 14 kms from his store to my home and immediately penning this down. Initial impressions were the steering felt a little lighter, road noise was lesser and the ride is definitely more pliant. Going for a small drive after dinner to further understand them. Hope they hold up well.

MADE IN KOREA

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1.jpg

Tread pattern

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-2.jpg

Kinda sold on the packaging too!

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5.jpg

The other choices! That Maxxis looked sweet, maybe next time.

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-6.jpg

Jacked up!

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-3.jpg

Levitation

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4.jpg

Balancing

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-7.jpg

I do not have any affiliation to the company just penned down the information I found out about them so that it helps others. Also since I am the first one on this forum(I guess) to put these brand on the Innova I will keep updating about their performance as and when I complete 1000, 10000, 25000 and 50000 kms.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 17:40   #315
BHPian

Update

Completed 1000kms on the Nexens. The tyre noise is almost nil and this has also reduced the road noise. The steering feels nice and heavy now, a little heavier than when it was running on the Conti's. The steering inputs also feels sharper. Mileage remains the same. Although would elaborate on it after another 1000kms. So far so good. Touchwood!!
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed