Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 19:20   #1
BHPian

Help required (From Potenza's to tube type)

i know it sounds strange, Please read through (taken from an earlier post)

(I dont know about others,But I drive an ALTO and never had a puncture for a year with my Stock tyres, I switched to potza's, In a year I have had more than 9 punctures, Again the road to my house is not all that great..

I had to change one tyre becuase it developed some sort of a bubble and the delaer told me that it cannot be fixed, it would have to be replaced, So I spent another 3k on one tre and recently other two tyres have the same problem,

It was not there when I bought it. The dealer said he cannot do anything and I dont have the time and most importantly 'patience' to run around for this.

One more thing I noticed is that the tyre noice is too much compared to the stock ones. So after considering all the above mentioned factors,
I might have got a bad set, however the last tyre also had the same problem, Now I am left with only 3 tyres.

Thank you for reading so far

So this time I will stick to Tube type.

Profile that I am looking for is 165/60/13/.

How are the indian brands??? Ones that I know

Appolo accelere (Asymetrical pattern,)

MRF (ZVTS)

JK Vectra (Does not have a profile in 13')

Are there any other good brands??? would be really greatfull if someone can mention the prices also..

Mods - Please merge the thread if similar topics exist
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:52   #2
BHPian

I understand that you have had a bad experience with tubeless / Potenzas, but dont wash your hands entirely off the tubeless type. They have several advantages over tubetype. In fact, even in this era of cost-conscious manufacturers, more cars are sold with tubeless than vice versa.

If its durability you are looking for (over outright grip), then the S322's will suit your purpose fine. TSK & gang have given decent ratings to the Apollo Acceleres. My choice for 13 inchers would be the Michelin XM1s.
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:23   #3
BHPian

the Apollo Accelere asymmetric pattern starts from size 15" onward. you can go for the regular Apollo Acceleres. a very reliable tyre. long lasting, comfortable and dependable. they are tubeless as well but i had no trouble with them while i was using a set. ironically, i am using Potenza GIIIs now thankfully nothing wrong with them till now. keeping my fingers crossed though.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

165/60 R13 is not available in either Michelin, Yokohama or Apollo Accelere. Seems like in that size GIII's are your only option.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Perhaps you have fitted you new tubeless on steel rims that were rusted? Not on alloys?
I too have been wanting to switch from tubed 155/80/13 to tubeless 170/70/13, but without changing the steel wheels to alloys, as I will be keeping the car max one year. Now your experience makes me think twice.

I have had good service with Bridgestone S322 tubed, on a Santro, and these were also the earlier tyres on my Baleno before I switched the latter to Michelin XM1 (and must say not a whisper of trouble for the last one year, but then Baleno has alloys).
Old 4th August 2008, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Have used acceleres on my alto for two-three years. Never faced a problem (be it city or highway).. but it all depends on the roads. Looks like the potenzas could not handle your neighbourhood's roads!!
Old 4th August 2008, 11:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Switching to tubless won't give you lesser amount of punctures. My suspicion is that you got a very old/bad batch of Potenza's
For your needs, the Apollo Acceleres are decent. They are cheap, and hardy. You don't need alloys too.
One question, when you found a puncture, did you also find a nail in the tires?
If thats the case, looks like you are driving on a road which has
1. Lot of industrial area truck traffic which means lots of nails on road
2. A tire puncture repair shop which sprinkles nails on road just to generate more revenue.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:55   #8
BHPian

Thanks GTO, ASHVIN, Iraghava, Ashutosb, TSk1979

To clear some doubts

(Perhaps you have fitted you new tubeless on steel rims that were rusted? Not on alloys?)

@Filcord, the G3's are on 13" Aura Alloy wheels, So we can rule out that scenario.

(when you found a puncture, did you also find a nail in the tires?)

@TSK, I did find the nails and I also suspect I got a very old batch, However, i had to change one of the tyres because of that bubble thing. And that tyre also had a puncture after a while,

How about MRF ZVTS??? Also can someone tell me the rates for appolo accelers in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance people
Old 4th August 2008, 15:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

Check out Apollo tires website. They are available with almost all multibrand shops.
MRF ZVTS is kind of okay. I had them on the indica, and braking was terrible.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Knight Rider,

> I had to change one tyre becuase it developed some sort of a bubble and

I have Apollo Acceleres in my Marina. After a Bangalore drive one of them did develop a bubble. Since Apollo refused to replace it (the cut inside was a shard raxor blade sort of cut, and they said it is not manufacturing fault - no damage to the exterior) it is doing duty as a tubed stepney.

What I meant to say was any brand of tyre can have troubles.

The remaining Apollo tyres did not / have not given me any problems. Only one puncture so far in 45000kms.

Apollo Accelere Sportz is the asymmetric tyre.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:33   #11
BHPian

Thanks @tsk1979. I just checked the appolo website.

Apollo Tyres,Car Tires,Truck Tires Manufacturers

Found two.
Appolo Acelere - 165/65/13
Appolo Amazer XL - 165/60/13

Which one should I go for? has anyone used these tyres before? How much should i Shell out for these?

TRRK, Thanks for that info friend, I thought I was the only one with this issue :-)
Old 4th August 2008, 19:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Knight Rider,

> Appolo Acelere - 165/65/13

This would be +1% error to the original 145/80R12

> Appolo Amazer XL - 165/60/13

This would be -2% error to the original.

> Which one should I go for?

I would suggest the former. It has more sidewall height and the error is minimal.

> TRRK, Thanks for that info friend, I thought I was the only one with this
> issue :-)

Like in the X files TV serial - we are not alone!
Old 4th August 2008, 20:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Knight rider, thats a very bad experience... i have been using Turanza's for over 15k kms and i have driven extensively on bad roads! till now they are doing great!

Btw can people list out the names of the tyres which can take bad roads, i will vote for turanza anyday!
Old 4th August 2008, 20:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you can use 165/65 R13 on the Alto, it fouls with the wheel arches especially at the rear.

KP - what's your opinion on this?
Old 4th August 2008, 22:03   #15
BHPian

165/65/R13 is a definete no no

Most Viewed