Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2005, 19:30   #16
BHPian

Right... thnaks everyone... but my stock bridgestones have done 80000(80 thousand) K... and theres almost no tread left on them... yeah, going to get 15'' alloys...

P.S. late addition to the list, but should I get a set of GoodYear Eagle F1s? Most people who are even mildly interested in tyres seem to have them... and they are retty good... but, I've been told that Pilot Precedas are really great... what say?
Old 11th March 2005, 20:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

without meaning to sound too loud

EAGLE F1!!!
Old 11th March 2005, 21:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

Well,

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 vs Michelin Pilot Preceda

I would say if you want 100% performance with a bit of sacrifice in comfort and noise levels, as well as opting for an older tire design go for the Eagle F1.

If you want 80-90% of that performance (in all practicality) without as much of a drop in comfort/noise then go for the Michelin.

They are both great tires, you wont regret it either way...especially when stepping up from the stock bridgestones :O

cya
R

ps - and to add to what coloneljassi said about the pirellis not lasting in india, i had heard a similar thing but did not mention it coz i do not remember the specifics. Im not sure if it is all Pirellis, or just a certain series, but the way they are constructed makes it easy for indian roads to ruin them, and makes it difficult for them to be repaired if neccessary.
Old 11th March 2005, 22:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

hey i too agree that the f1's are really noisy, but i have heard that the new type they launched recently are better. else you can go in for yokohama advan or the ventus by hankook.
Old 12th March 2005, 02:55   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
hey i too agree that the f1's are really noisy, but i have heard that the new type they launched recently are better.
Yup that is true, thats why i mentioned GS-D2, which if the 2nd gen of eagle F1s fyi aveek. First being GS-D1 and the third (newest gen) that iceman mentioned is the GS-D3. The reason i didnt suggest the GS-D3 for you is because im guessing they will be much much more expensive than what you expect to spend for a tire. However, they are spectacular tires!

cya
R
Old 12th March 2005, 08:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptaravi2k
Designing a tyre tread which will operate equally well rotating in either direction inevitably involves compromises which limit ultimate performance in some respects. Directional tyres, on the other hand, are designed to rotate in one direction only; so performance - wet grip, directional stability and handling - far from being compromised, is optimised.
Very true...however, one advantage with a non-directional tyre is the better lateral grip.

Lateral grip helps when you get the car sliding(or pull the hand-brake)

I've noticed that directional tyres in general are very poor once you have either lost it, or purposely get the car sliding, since they generally don't have any grooves going across the tyre.

In non-directional tyres, the grooves which are opposite to the running direction give excellent grip when sliding.

I totaly lost it the first time I changed to Directional tyres on my astra, and tried a fast U-turn. One broken Bumper

Last edited by epyupc : 12th March 2005 at 08:16.
Old 12th March 2005, 11:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey i too agree that the f1's are really noisy,
Hmm...maybe i got some special compound on mine that make them silent ?!?
Old 12th March 2005, 14:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the prob is that each one has his own limitations as to how much noise, he can overlook. I have never heard any car have any sort of road or tyre noise before, most probably, im not easily affected by it.

Shan2nu
Old 12th March 2005, 14:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
i have Eagle F1's too !! they are much more silent than the Pirelli's i had earlier !
Old 12th March 2005, 14:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ok, one big question about unidirectional tyres (tyres that can be rotated in only one direction).

Lets say i have 5 uni directional tyres (5th one being the spare). I have a flat on one of the tyres on the right hand side and..... i realise that the spare is actually fitted such that it can only do duty on the left hand side of the car.

Now, i'm in the middle of a lonely ghat section with the nearest capable service station being miles away. What do i do. I know that in such a situation, i've got no choice but to fit the spare on the wrong side and run the risk of the tyre not being able to function like it should. On a dry surface it's managable but, what about wet conditions? That tyre maynot be able to cut through water like the other 3 tyres and that can unsettle the car.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th March 2005 at 14:52.
Old 12th March 2005, 14:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thats a major problem with unidirectional tyres ! I agree with Shantanu coz i was faced with a similar problem 2 days back and had to fit the spare on the wrong side and drive for about 3 kms only !!

but yeah i guess in a lonely area , thats your best bet !
Old 12th March 2005, 14:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

But the good thing is that since tubeless tyres come with their own mending kit, all you need to do is get to the nearest pump and fill air in the tyre.

Does the mended area get back to normal? Can the tyre sustain high speeds after that?

Shan2nu
Old 12th March 2005, 18:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Running unidirectionals on wrong side hasnt caused much or rather any problems to me ....my service center rotated the tyres without seeing that they were actually unidirectional, so two tyres are running the wrong way round. But then again i havent had any chance of driving in the wet.

Drifter
Old 12th March 2005, 19:30   #29
BHPian

Right... how much more can D3's cost? Oh, hehe... one more bit of competition - Potenza GIIIs... went and saw a set today... they look pretty neat... does anyone drive one of those around? And has previously driven Eagles or Precedas? The guy told me that they're better than Eagles... didn't really believe him, but there must be some truth in what he said... so... anyone?
Old 13th March 2005, 11:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Running unidirectionals on wrong side hasnt caused much or rather any problems to me ....my service center rotated the tyres without seeing that they were actually unidirectional, so two tyres are running the wrong way round. But then again i havent had any chance of driving in the wet.

Drifter
:WTF:

pal - better get those on the right side asap !

i dont know about any damage happening but then to put it simply why take the risk ?? simply not worth the headache !

you should have thrashed the hell out of the service station guys if they dint know this small thing !! and being a " crazy " driver i think you should be a little more careful with these seemingly small things !!! they can cause bigger problems in the future i guess .

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks