Team-BHP - Directional Tyres / Asymmetrical Tyres ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Directional Tyres / Asymmetrical Tyres ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/4351-directional-tyres-asymmetrical-tyres.html)

Can anybody guide me as to what is meant by "Directional" Tyres??
Is there a difference in rotation of tyres for directional and non directional. (it is mentioned in the New Honda City booklet ).
What type of tyres are present in the New Honda City??

If you look at our normal tyres, they have the same pattern throughout the contact patch and can be run in any direction and can thus be fitted on either sides of the car, they can be called multi directional.

But tyres that have 2 diff patterns on the contact patch or have a pattern that is directed toward one side can be rotated in one direction only, they are called uni-directional tyres.

Take the Eagle F1 GS D3 for example

This tyre can't just be fitted on the other side (as our normal tyres) as the pattern doesn't allow the tyre to be rotated in both directions. You will actually have to remove the tyre off the rims,rotate them and thenfit them, so that they can be fitted on the other side of the car.

Here's a tyre with multiple tread pattern

Shan2nu

Designing a tyre tread which will operate equally well rotating in either direction inevitably involves compromises which limit ultimate performance in some respects. Directional tyres, on the other hand, are designed to rotate in one direction only; so performance - wet grip, directional stability and handling - far from being compromised, is optimised.

Hey SCH,

Sh2nu has aldready explained about directional tires, and guptaravi2k's post further explains them.
Just thought i would also mention that there are tyres which are asymetrical (unlike most tyres which have a symmetric tread pattern.)
On the assymetrical tyres, they have an indication on the sidewall for which is the outside (facing away from the car) sidewall and which is the inside sidewall.
These tires usually have more support and a different tread pattern on the outer edge (which takes most of the load during cornering), while the rest of the tire deals with comfort, aquatread etc etc.

Notice that even though asymetrical tires have treading on them that may APPEAR to be directional, they are actually not.

If you had a Asymetrical & directional tire, it means you would have to buy a different set of 2 left tyres and 2 right tyres! lol....i dont think asymetrical&directional tyres exist....anyone?

cya
R

So, um, what the heck does one recommend for a honda 2nd Gen City (Like Shan2nu's avatar)...? Unidirectional, or Assymetrical...?

P.S. whats better - Pirelli P6000 of Michelin Pilots? I plan to put 15'' alloys on my City...

The tyres on Rehaan's accent provide a lot of cornering grip but, i was not all that happy with it's braking performance, especially in wet conditions.

I feel for channeling water in wet conditions, the directional tyres will be better. I'm going in for directional tyres for my car.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by aveek
P.S. whats better - Pirelli P6000 of Michelin Pilots? I plan to put 15'' alloys on my City...

Which "Michelin Pilots"? - Pilot Preceda i am guessing?

I would vote for the michelins.

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
Which "Michelin Pilots"? - Pilot Preceda i am guessing?

I would vote for the michelins.

Yup... Only, do you get them in 15''?? And how easily available are they?

Pilot Precedas are readily available at all leading tyre shops......just got a set of 5 last week for my new Baleno. They cost 4050/tyre for 195/60 R14....

~Sonic

Since you are from B'lore, I suggest you check out Hot Tracks on Residency Rd.

~Sonic

Thanks dude! Do I get any discount if I swap for my old tires? For rubber, or steel, or anything??!
(I know, I can be completely 'canjoos' sometimes, but hey, I gotta save somewhere...)

You can get 60-70% of the actual price for your stock tyres from the same chap, but provided you've not used it for more than 100Kms....

~Sonic

michelins definitely have better wet weather grip, supposedly the best, but i somehow think pirellis are better to drive all round. besides, they have much better street cred. just ask ferrari, maserati, or lamborghini.

aveek, you'll need a set of 15" rims too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic
You can get 60-70% of the actual price for your stock tyres from the same chap, but provided you've not used it for more than 100Kms....

~Sonic

More like 1500-2500Rs.

Quote:

michelins definitely have better wet weather grip, supposedly the best, but i somehow think pirellis are better to drive all round.
Well actually that is debatable. I have heard very knowledgable people say that Pirelli's handle brilliantly in the wet. In the end, wet weather traction depends a HUGE amount on the tread pattern, and needless to say there as large variations from tread to tread on the pirellis, or any tires.

From the point of view of an Indian consumer, i would definitely go with Michelin. However, if i was in some other market, i would have a tough time between Mich and Pirelli...

cya
R

I haven't seen Pirellis last as much as Michelins out here in Moon crater India.Pirellis have real good grip and cornering abilities while Michelins seem more comfort oriented,relativey speaking.My old Accent DLS used up two sets of Michelin Certis' before being sold off.Each lasted more than 35K.Considering the speeds I did (yeah,okay.It took a decade to get there!) that's really good mileage.Let's see how long my CRDi is able to keep them on.