Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 10:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Offset for Honda Civic

I'm looking at different wheels for my civic.what i want to know is what offset can be used in the civic.

Can i go as low as +35 or maybe lower +25,+20.because it will give the wheel a deep kind of look.
what i want to know is in case the car goes over bumps etc. will the tire touch the outer wheel arch.if it clears the wheel arc then it'll be good to go.

I think the regular offset is 42 or 45.

Please let me know guys ASAP because i have to place an order with the suppliers.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

from what i saw behind the spare wheel is a +45 offset.so looking at the wheel and the wheel arch it can be assumed that a +35 offset will fit the car.i mean the lip edge of the wheel can move out 10mm i think.
now this can be done in the rear wheel but will it interfere in case of the front wheel.

anybody?
help is required here.ASAP
Old 5th August 2008, 12:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey!!

I am facing a similar problem with my OHC. I have Yoko's 205/45/16 and the tire touches the outer wheel arch when the car goes over bumps. I have no idea about the offset and i am sure i will learn a lot from this thread. But what i have an idea about is also important, which i am sure you are aware of. . . This kind of a problem can really lead to a lot of damage and danger. So make sure you dont commit mistake i have done.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:12   #4
BHPian

As per auto dynamic the offset for Honda Civic is 40

CAR MAKE CAR MODEL SIZE WIDTH PCD HOLES OFFSET
HONDA CIVIC 15" 6.5 114.3 5 40

You could check the specs of other cars also @ the following site:

Auto Dynamic

Many thanks,

Regards,
Rajiv
Old 5th August 2008, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

nope the offset of the civic stock alloys is 45 and i can double confirm that as i have seen the spare wheel and it says 15X6j OFF 45

so there is no reason not to believe that.

now my question is how low on offset can i go for the rear wheels.
like can i go for the following combinations

front:40 offset Rear:35 offset
front: 35 offset rear :25 offset

someone help me out here.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

"bump" anyone?? help required!!
Old 5th August 2008, 20:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
nope the offset of the civic stock alloys is 45 and i can double confirm that as i have seen the spare wheel and it says 15X6j OFF 45

so there is no reason not to believe that.

now my question is how low on offset can i go for the rear wheels.
like can i go for the following combinations

front:40 offset Rear:35 offset
front: 35 offset rear :25 offset

someone help me out here.

First time that I am hearing / seeing different offsets for the front & rear, I have always fitted the same offset for all 4 wheels.

Am I missing something here ??

Cheers
Old 5th August 2008, 21:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

well its not uncommon for people fitting different offsets.
you must have seen all the powerful cars like supercars and tuners car with different offsets.i mean if the wheel is a lip type wheel,the front lip is smaller and the rear lip is much broader.

and even in case of cars like ferraris,lambos etc you'll see that the rear wheel is deeper than the front wheel.

i'm just looking at the possibility of installing wheels with different offsets.

the primary question here is how low can one go with the civic wheels.can i go with a 35 offset all around.
Old 5th August 2008, 23:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Staggered rims are mainly done on RWD cars Navpreet because they need more rubber at the rear to put the power down, why do you want to do that on a Civic? Won't look good in my opinion. Plus, there will be the problem of fitting in a wider wheel/tyre at the back end. Also, your car will understeer horribly. Not worth it IMO.

As for more about offsets, read here:Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tire Bible Page 2 of 2

As far as I understand, you can go down to 35 but below that is going to be risky. Also, what tyre sizes are you considering?
Old 5th August 2008, 23:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

tire size that i'm considering is 225/45 R18

i guess +35 would be suffice.thats what i'm probably getting the wheels in.

ishan i have dropped the idea of the staggered rims.first issue is as you stated that it will understeer.major problem.i don't want such a brilliant handling of the car to be ruined.secondly staggered rims are generally cheap chinese available in india and the branded ones are exorbitantly priced.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 5th August 2008 at 23:53.
Old 6th August 2008, 00:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...good decision to drop the staggered idea. And the correct size for the Civic is 225/40 R18, S-Drives & Advan Sports are available in this size.
Old 6th August 2008, 00:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from what i saw behind the spare wheel is a +45 offset.so looking at the wheel and the wheel arch it can be assumed that a +35 offset will fit the car.i mean the lip edge of the wheel can move out 10mm i think.
now this can be done in the rear wheel but will it interfere in case of the front wheel.

anybody?
help is required here.ASAP
navpreet, its also going to depend on whether you are going for wider tyres. Remember, the wheel/tyre combo would come out by the sum of the two. 10mm is a tad high - tyre bible usually talks of half that for keeping good safety margin.
Recently, I upgraded my Lancer from 175/80R13, 13x5J to 195/60R15, 15x6.5J. The Lancer offset is +46. I settled for +40 offset wheels and they are working fine ... (Ruled out several designs at +35 offset)

Regards,
Old 6th August 2008, 09:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys i also need help....plz let me know what offset i should be running

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hey!!

I am facing a similar problem with my OHC. I have Yoko's 205/45/16 and the tire touches the outer wheel arch when the car goes over bumps. I have no idea about the offset and i am sure i will learn a lot from this thread. But what i have an idea about is also important, which i am sure you are aware of. . . This kind of a problem can really lead to a lot of damage and danger. So make sure you dont commit mistake i have done.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well its not uncommon for people fitting different offsets.
you must have seen all the powerful cars like supercars and tuners car with different offsets.i mean if the wheel is a lip type wheel,the front lip is smaller and the rear lip is much broader.

and even in case of cars like ferraris,lambos etc you'll see that the rear wheel is deeper than the front wheel.

i'm just looking at the possibility of installing wheels with different offsets.

the primary question here is how low can one go with the civic wheels.can i go with a 35 offset all around.

Oh yes I have seen the Super car league with such wheels, but here we are talking CIVIC, right ?

Anyways I understand the whole story now Ishaan's post has shed some floodlight on the matter.

Nice to know you have decieded against the staggered thing. HAPPY UPGRADING !!!!!! Looking forward to the pictures soon.

Cheers !!!!

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 6th August 2008 at 10:32.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:52   #15
BHPian

ok Mr.
Time to update this thread ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks