Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 18:33   #1
BHPian

Repair & Paint Santro Steel Rims

Hi! My Santro is nearly 6 years old & has logged nearly 70K kilometers. It needs a change of tyres. I plan to buy tubed ones. I was wondering if I could have the dents removed from the old pressed steel rims & also get them painted. Are there any specialized shops I should approach & how much would this cost? I had initially thought of buying new steel rims but they are nearly 1K per piece & I don't want to spend too much now as I am not sure how long I will keep the car.
Thanks in advance.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Doc, I think most good tyre shops will have this done for you. Some might even have rim straightening machines.

I got rim straightening & painting done on my mother's Santro last year before a new set of tubeless tyres went on it. Total cost for 4 wheels was 1700/-.
Old 12th August 2008, 00:34   #3
BHPian

Thank you for your reply, Sir.
After a little bit of legwork, I was able to find one rim straightening machine in Kolkata. Unfortunately, it has been out of order for the last 6 months. I guess there are no customers, which is somewhat sad, considering the shop was charging only Rs 100 per rim for the job.
@shuvc has suggested that I look for pressed steel rims at alloy rim dealers since most customers sell their original rims when they fit alloys. Sounds great. I would just like to confirm whether the Santro ZipPlus rims are identical to the Santro Xing rims or not. I am sure any Santro rims I'm likely to find will be from Xings.
Old 15th August 2008, 18:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I got rim straightening & painting done on my mother's Santro last year before a new set of tubeless tyres went on it. Total cost for 4 wheels was 1700/-.
I'm planning to put tubeless on the Getz, and may have to repair the rims. How has your mother's car been doing - any problems with the repaired rims since then?
Old 15th August 2008, 19:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
I would just like to confirm whether the Santro ZipPlus rims are identical to the Santro Xing rims or not. I am sure any Santro rims I'm likely to find will be from Xings.
AFAIK there is no difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I'm planning to put tubeless on the Getz, and may have to repair the rims. How has your mother's car been doing - any problems with the repaired rims since then?
It was run for 30k kms after the rim repairs & subsequently sold off. Never gave any problems till the time we had her.
Old 16th August 2008, 18:07   #6
BHPian

Sad to say, could not find any spare rims or repairwalla in Panjim. I needed to repair two rims as they were slightly rusted and/or bent. Finally, since I really could not put this off any longer, had to settle for tube-type Bridgestones S-248.
Old 16th August 2008, 18:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you give those off to the tyre dealer and buy a brand new set of santro steel rims.
Should cost in hundreds and would need minimum balancing weights ,if required.
Should last another two tyre changes and you can run tubeless
Old 16th August 2008, 21:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I would suggest you give those off to the tyre dealer and buy a brand new set of santro steel rims.
Should cost in hundreds and would need minimum balancing weights ,if required.
For my Getz, Hyundai in Goa is quoting Rs 1000/- per rim. Since this car is not going to be with me more than another 15 months, I thought with my pocketbook, rather than my heart!

Last edited by filcord : 16th August 2008 at 21:33.
Old 16th August 2008, 23:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Doc, I'll ask the alloy wheel dealers and get back to you.
Old 17th August 2008, 00:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For my Getz, Hyundai in Goa is quoting Rs 1000/- per rim. Since this car is not going to be with me more than another 15 months, I thought with my pocketbook, rather than my heart!
You should try with tyre dealers or the spare parts market.
Obviously, any dealership/A.S.S. is gonna quote you high prices for spares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks