Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 11:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

For extremely demanding terrain, forget things like ride comfort and handling.
Go for tires with thick sidewalls, and hard rubber.
On our forum, such tires are frowned upon, because they are not the best handlers, do not offer the best ride comfort, and are usually made by companies like MRF and Apollo
For tough terrain handling on the indica, Apollo Aceller's do the job.

All the punctures have been in city due to nails etc., inspite of the worst roads of himachal, and thumping into potholes. I have never faced problems like cut sidewalls etc.,

They do not have the handling powress of the Potenza's but if I had to repeat tires for a similar purpose, Apollo is where I would look at.
So stop thinking "Performance tires", they are good for the highways.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think you can get some Pirellis if you ask the FIAT dealers. The service centre here had procured four pieces some time back for one customer. I think its around 4500 per piece.

If you are looking of soft roading capabilities. ITs the Pirellis. If you cant get hold of this. I suggest the XM1+ based on what i have heard of it.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great, keep updating us...

btw any idea about how good these tires are on bad roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
You guys had asked for a guinea pig! I am one now.

Bought 205/60R15 GoodYear Assurance for my Elantra this weekend, 4800 a piece ... Have driven less than 1000 kms with them, so cant comment much. One thing is sure though, the ride quality has improved by miles, compared to that on my old Appolo Acceleres...
Dry grip was good too, as one of my overtakings did prove that the Assurance have good grip. I will put up a different thread once I have tried out different surfaces with the tyre. So far the experience has been good. The dealer, who distributes Goodyears al over Kerala did warn me that these tyres cannot be considered as high mileage tyres. I liked them and bought them, rest will hopefully follow.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:17   #19
BHPian

Lohith: you need to consider two things when driving on 'bad roads':

1. Tyre's resistance to cuts/damage, and protection provided to rims. Keeping this in mind, I said before than even XM1s would do provide you inflate hard.
2. Traction over loose soil/ mud /slush, especially on inclines. This is what none of XM1s, Goodyear Assurance, Apollo Aceleres etc would be able to provide. You need all terrain tyres for this, which the Pirells stock on Adventure are.

Do check out the travel section on the forum and arrive at an estimate of how the conditions are going to be when you visit Leh. If it is dry, then traction should not be an issue and you use regular tyres. Else, look at all-terrain/mud-terrain tyres.

Bottom line: you choice of tyres is driven more by traction requirements rather than resistance to cuts / protection affoarded to rims. Also understand though that for the rest of the time (cities and highways), regular tyres would provide much more comfort and dry/wet traction.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
The dealer, who distributes Goodyears al over Kerala did warn me that these tyres cannot be considered as high mileage tyres. I liked them and bought them, rest will hopefully follow.
Would you post the UTQGS rating of this particular tyre.. Would be helpful to all.. I have used GY Eagle NCT5 and not at all satisfied with their performance. Would like to compare the models.
Old 20th August 2008, 17:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

tsk,gemi & vipul thanks guys...

Vipul i agree with you, my requiremnet is more of a tourer types where the tyres should take the bad roads too...

Today did have a look at Mich XM1+ looks more od a tourer, guess its tough enough for indian conditions but as mentioned by many a all terrain tire like Pirelli would be best but getting it aint easy...

Tomorrow is the D day will decide by then, actually no options at all now just the Xm1+...
Old 21st August 2008, 09:08   #22
BHPian

If your criteria is roads encountered on the way to Leh or Ladakh, then neither XM1+ or the Goodyear Assurance would be ideal. This road is very rough, rocky, and temperatures can be very cold.

You should get some type of All-Terrain tire such as the Michelin All Terrain, or light truck tire. These are much tougher. There are also Indian brands like Apollo, MRF, JK, etc. but I am not sure that these would work well in very cold climates, since they tend to be hard rubber compounds designed for high mileage.

Look for a tire with 2 sidewall plies, as this will resist sidewall punctures better than a single ply. A moderate treadwear rating of say, 400 or less would also be good for cold temps.

But the problem is the sizing for your Fiat Adventure. 14 inch sizing is very limited. Perhaps you can look into 15 inch rim availability for your Fiat. There are much more choices for tires with 15 inch rim size.
Old 21st August 2008, 13:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

RedMM340, Thanks, thats a lot of info there

Actually am looking for a tire which can take worst of roads, and yes side wall protection is important... am not sure if XM1+ has the side wall protection atleast it was not visible??

Can you suggest me any tire in 14, with a good side wall protection? also is Apollo accelar a good buy?
Old 21st August 2008, 18:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

I feel XM1+ has improved tyre for Indian road, But If you ask me nothing can beat Bridgestone for Indian bad road, since you don't get the size you needed I suggest you try Michellin. Any tyre as long as it lasts for more than 25,000km I feel it solves the purpose.

Trust me after I talked to few friends about road condition every national highway is in bad shape which indicates very soon we cant see best roads.

I suggest be away from MRF, goodyear, Apollo they are good tyres but for Adventure I suggest Michellin or bridgestone because it would give 5star comfort.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 21st August 2008 at 18:27.
Old 21st August 2008, 19:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, i agree i think i hardly have any option XM1+ is a HT rated tire which is ment for heavier vehivles also so i guess it should be good for adv, since turanza's profile is less i think i have no options...
Old 21st August 2008, 19:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy the tires from "Iyengar & sons", they are quoting 3600 per tire(XM1+)... is it a good price?
Old 21st August 2008, 22:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

I guess tyre size is 195/70 R14, for 14inch its good price because for 15inch XM1+ it would cost around 4500/-.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

My dad bought Michelin Energy XM1 (not sure if that's the exact name) stock size for his OHC. I noticed that 3 out of 4 tires had the tire wall saying 'INNER'. Have the tires been wrongly put? i.e. all of them should should have the wall saying 'OUTER' on the outside. Are this direction sensitive tires?
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
My dad bought Michelin Energy XM1 (not sure if that's the exact name) stock size for his OHC. I noticed that 3 out of 4 tires had the tire wall saying 'INNER'. Have the tires been wrongly put? i.e. all of them should should have the wall saying 'OUTER' on the outside. Are this direction sensitive tires?
yes it is wrongly put in the wheel. GO back to the dealer and change it immediately. It should show OUTER after putting the wheel on the car.

direction is not an issue here but orientation of the tyre is which is designed for cornering and handling. If you see properly the thread are assymmetrical, hence you need to change the orientation.

Abhi
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
yes it is wrongly put in the wheel. GO back to the dealer and change it immediately. It should show OUTER after putting the wheel on the car.

direction is not an issue here but orientation of the tyre is which is designed for cornering and handling. If you see properly the thread are assymmetrical, hence you need to change the orientation.

Abhi
Yes, the threads are asymmetrical. I noticed that and hence increased suspicion. Will get them fixed. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks