Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 21:49   #1
BHPian

Yokohama A 539's

Hey folks,
After driving around in my santro xing 06 on stock MRF zvts for almost 35k kms, was thinking of a change for quite sometime. But since i am driving a non power steering version i was not too sure of an upsize.

One fine morning, on going through the forum, went through the inter state goa meet on the 15th of August. And then some phone calls from cochin from fellow bhpians it was decided that i will be going for the meet.

Initially was planning to join the cochin gang on their way somewhere in mangalore or so as right now i am working in chennai. Suddenly 2 of my cousins also joined in and so it was totally 3 of us. Then came the idea why dont we drive down to goa all the way from chennai. It ll be fun. Yeah i know it ll be a lot of fun but only if it was a bigger and more spacious vehicle.

Though its a small car we decided that we are driving down. And NOW came the big question. What do we do about the tyres. THIS IS HOW THEY LOOKED LIKE AND THE ROAD GRIP WAS SUPERBLY AMAZING.

Yokohama A 539's-dsc00052.jpg

Yokohama A 539's-dsc00050.jpg

The ride comfort was something special and if 4 people are travelling in the car and you go into a small pot hole one feels as if the whole car is going to fall into pieces. Its my personal opinion, the worst set of tyres for a santro. Don know about the bridgestone stock tyres which come along with the santro, i was unluckily stuck with the MRF's. Another thing is all Hyundai cars come with undersized tyres.

Two days left to leave. Had no other choice. No way we were travelling 2500 kms on those tyres cause don know the condition of the roads after bangalore. It was a whole new route for me.

And to initiate it all had a flat on the same day and on the way back after fixing it went to LAL enterprises on lloyds road, very close to where i live. Had 2 tyres in mind the Yoko A 539 and the bridgestone potenza g3's.(most of the experts bhpians suggesting the first one). The size was 175/60 R13's . Already have 5.5j league alloys so the size was not a problem. The only fear i had was the steering was going to be way to tight to drive in city traffic.

The person in the shop showed me the potenzas and told me that he had the yokos in stock when i called him before going there. Then he showed me Falken and said a hundred good things about the same. I liked the potenzas but in my mind there was only one. Told the guy that i will take the yokos immediately if he has stock. And unfortunately he did not have and told me that he can get it for me the next day.

But at that point of time i had to get those on the same day at any cost. Came home and browsed the net for sometime for some tyre shops in and around and called up a few of them. Finally one person gave me the number of the regional manager of yokohama. Called up the guy and he told me where i can get the tyres. It was LAL sales and services close to the TVS petrol bunk near to SATYAM theatres. Went there and the person there showed me these.

Yokohama A 539's-dsc00049.jpg

The moment i saw them it was love at first sight. Asked him to change all 4 and got the rims balanced and the alignment done.

Yokohama A 539's-dsc00053.jpg

The price of one of these were 2999/- and the saddest part was that i did not get any discount. The guy even charged me wheel alignment and balancing which came upto 600 rupees. Finally paid a total of 12k and gave him my old tyres too for which i got around 100 bucks a piece.

The moment i took out the car there was instant change. The steering felt lighter maybe because they were brand new. The ride was just amazing and the car felt more held on to the roads. Amazing grip at high speeds and braking was just accurate.

Finally the day came and we left for goa. Travelled almost close to 2500 kms in 4 days and the performance of 539's were pretty much satisfying and impressive tackling quite a few bad roads on the way from bangalore to goa. The wet grip was also tested as it was raining on and off through out the way. And also absolutely no tyre noise at high speeds.

Got back to chennai, got the wheel alignment checked as i got 2 free checks at the same place. Everything was in place and i am a very happy and satisfied person on making the right choice-thanks to fellow t-bhpians.

VERDICT: Worth every penny you pay.
Old 30th August 2008, 22:27   #2
BHPian

Congrats on the new tyres! Was planning an upgrade for my vehicle also but was not sure which tyres to go for as I also do not have power steering! Was planning Michelin XM1+ but this has opened up a new line of thought. Anyways, enjoy the grip!
Old 31st August 2008, 00:26   #3
BHPian

Dont think twice. You will not regret. The michelins are also great and its more expensive compared to the yokos i guess
Old 31st August 2008, 00:27   #4
BHPian

mods please move it to the tyre and alloy wheel section if more appropriate
Old 31st August 2008, 00:45   #5
BHPian

Same model Yokohama's here !!!

Hey Dude,
Congrats on the new tyres and I can assure you that they are worth every penny.
I have fitted the same model tyres on my Santro Xing XS after doing 28,000kms on the stock 155 Bridgestones. There is a huge different between these tyres and the stock ones for sure.
I have the 185/60 R13 A 539's on my Xing. Tyre pressure is kept at 32 on all 5 tyres with nitrogen filled for 500/- bucks and 1 year service warranty. Try the same on your tyres and see the difference !!

Cheers,
Adit.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:48   #6
BANNED

Hi,

Am using the same on my Santro Xing as well since almost a year. Superb performance and comfort.

Viper
Old 31st August 2008, 23:28   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

yep me too, love the way the car handles now. I was running potenza gIII before this and the steering is definatly much lighter with yokos
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_guy555
I have the 185/60 R13 A 539's on my Xing.
185s on a Santro? What does the car feel like?
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

hmm guess these would fit on my ikon as well. Does one need to upgrade to alloys or would steel rims do? Also how about tyre noise? I also have ZVTS and they are louder than my ICE
Old 3rd September 2008, 14:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
hmm guess these would fit on my ikon as well. Does one need to upgrade to alloys or would steel rims do? Also how about tyre noise? I also have ZVTS and they are louder than my ICE
If you can get them in 175/70/R13 , you will not need to upgrade rims.
Old 5th September 2008, 11:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
185s on a Santro? What does the car feel like?
Planted for sure and sticks like glue to tarmac !! Another thing is that with 185/60 it was the max upgrade for a Santro Xing. Any more and tyres would be sticking out and huge errors on the Speedo
Fuel efficiency reduced by 0.5 / 1 km/ltr. Thats ok 'cause my Xing was never a fuel efficient car.
Will remember to take pics of the Yoko's and post them here.
Warm Regards,
Adit.
Old 5th September 2008, 19:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Hey folks,
After driving around in my santro xing 06 on stock MRF zvts for almost 35k kms, was thinking of a change for quite sometime. But since i am driving a non power steering version i was not too sure of an upsize.

One fine morning, on going through the forum, went through the inter state goa meet on the 15th of August. And then some phone calls from cochin from fellow bhpians it was decided that i will be going for the meet.

Initially was planning to join the cochin gang on their way somewhere in mangalore or so as right now i am working in chennai. Suddenly 2 of my cousins also joined in and so it was totally 3 of us. Then came the idea why dont we drive down to goa all the way from chennai. It ll be fun. Yeah i know it ll be a lot of fun but only if it was a bigger and more spacious vehicle.

Though its a small car we decided that we are driving down. And NOW came the big question. What do we do about the tyres. THIS IS HOW THEY LOOKED LIKE AND THE ROAD GRIP WAS SUPERBLY AMAZING.

Attachment 43653

Attachment 43654

The ride comfort was something special and if 4 people are travelling in the car and you go into a small pot hole one feels as if the whole car is going to fall into pieces. Its my personal opinion, the worst set of tyres for a santro. Don know about the bridgestone stock tyres which come along with the santro, i was unluckily stuck with the MRF's. Another thing is all Hyundai cars come with undersized tyres.

Two days left to leave. Had no other choice. No way we were travelling 2500 kms on those tyres cause don know the condition of the roads after bangalore. It was a whole new route for me.

And to initiate it all had a flat on the same day and on the way back after fixing it went to LAL enterprises on lloyds road, very close to where i live. Had 2 tyres in mind the Yoko A 539 and the bridgestone potenza g3's.(most of the experts bhpians suggesting the first one). The size was 175/60 R13's . Already have 5.5j league alloys so the size was not a problem. The only fear i had was the steering was going to be way to tight to drive in city traffic.

The person in the shop showed me the potenzas and told me that he had the yokos in stock when i called him before going there. Then he showed me Falken and said a hundred good things about the same. I liked the potenzas but in my mind there was only one. Told the guy that i will take the yokos immediately if he has stock. And unfortunately he did not have and told me that he can get it for me the next day.

But at that point of time i had to get those on the same day at any cost. Came home and browsed the net for sometime for some tyre shops in and around and called up a few of them. Finally one person gave me the number of the regional manager of yokohama. Called up the guy and he told me where i can get the tyres. It was LAL sales and services close to the TVS petrol bunk near to SATYAM theatres. Went there and the person there showed me these.

Attachment 43657

The moment i saw them it was love at first sight. Asked him to change all 4 and got the rims balanced and the alignment done.

Attachment 43658

The price of one of these were 2999/- and the saddest part was that i did not get any discount. The guy even charged me wheel alignment and balancing which came upto 600 rupees. Finally paid a total of 12k and gave him my old tyres too for which i got around 100 bucks a piece.

The moment i took out the car there was instant change. The steering felt lighter maybe because they were brand new. The ride was just amazing and the car felt more held on to the roads. Amazing grip at high speeds and braking was just accurate.

Finally the day came and we left for goa. Travelled almost close to 2500 kms in 4 days and the performance of 539's were pretty much satisfying and impressive tackling quite a few bad roads on the way from bangalore to goa. The wet grip was also tested as it was raining on and off through out the way. And also absolutely no tyre noise at high speeds.

Got back to chennai, got the wheel alignment checked as i got 2 free checks at the same place. Everything was in place and i am a very happy and satisfied person on making the right choice-thanks to fellow t-bhpians.

VERDICT: Worth every penny you pay.
Dear aditya,
He has charged you more for the tyre as the MRP is 2950 . so no point in charging above the MRP and moreover the price should be 2800 with alignment free.
Old 5th September 2008, 20:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkrazy View Post
Dear aditya,
He has charged you more for the tyre as the MRP is 2950 . so no point in charging above the MRP and moreover the price should be 2800 with alignment free.
1). You are right abt the dealer not charging above MRP.

2). You cannot just say that alignment should be free. Sorry for picking on this small point, but no one can declare that. Some dealers may give it but you cannot just expect free service.
Old 8th September 2008, 01:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
1). You are right abt the dealer not charging above MRP.

2). You cannot just say that alignment should be free. Sorry for picking on this small point, but no one can declare that. Some dealers may give it but you cannot just expect free service.
Since the dealer was charging more/tyre i definitely should have got alignment done for free. In most of the places i know its done for free when one changes all 4 tyres.
Old 8th September 2008, 17:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Since the dealer was charging more/tyre i definitely should have got alignment done for free. In most of the places i know its done for free when one changes all 4 tyres.
Aditya.
U are right, mostly allignment is done for free when a set of four tires are bought. Anyways u have bought good set of tires and u are enjoying it so now forget the price u have paid.

PS: Are u A S H V I N 's friend??

Last edited by kpzen : 8th September 2008 at 17:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks