Team-BHP - Coin Test for Tyre Wear checking
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Coin Test for Tyre Wear checking (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/45169-coin-test-tyre-wear-checking.html)

As a thumb rule, it's often advised to use a 1 rupee coin to check tread wear. If the head of the Ashoka symbol is visible when the coin is placed inside the tread, then its time to change the tyres. :D

Watch this tyre tread depth vs stopping distance by tirerack at youtube. CLICK HERE VIDEO

This show how 2 mm can cut the wet stopping distance in half. This is a must see.

I guess minimum tread depths are 1 mm for two wheelers and 1.5 mm for four wheelers. Tyre gurus please confirm.

All major tyre showrooms have a template to check tyre wear. Each maker presents such a template to authorized dealers. :)

do your tyres not have wear indicators in the tread moulding? personally if the tread is getting close to them, them it's time for a new set

Best is to ask a local mechanic or tyre dealer than go to the showroom for this.

Here is how:

Tread depth and tread wear indicators

For the most part, motoring law in most countries determines that your tires need a minimum tread depth to be legal. This varies from country to country but is normally around 1.6mm. To assist you in figuring out when you're getting close to that value, most tires have tread wear indicators built into them. If you look around the tread carefully, at some point you'll see a bar of rubber which goes across the tread and isn't part of the regular pattern (see the picture here for an example). This is the wear indicator. It's really basic, but it's also pretty foolproof. The tread wear indicator is moulded into the rubber at a depth of about 2mm normally. As the rubber in your tires wears away due to everyday use, the tread wears down. At some point, the tire tread will become flush with the wear indicator (which is normally recessed into the tread). At this point you have about 2mm of tread left - in other words it is time to change tires.

Credit: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tire Bible Page 1 of 2

Cheers,

Rajan

A bit O.T. but true none the less.

It is unfortunate that in our country the Traffic Cops NEVER look at the condition of tyres.

I have seen enough of us drive cars with ZERO tread depth. Infact the tyre's belts are showing thru the surface. I have even seen trucks drive with very bad tyres.

I for one have never taken a chance with the depth of my tyre tread. If the tyre is capable to run 35000 kms I am one of those who'd rather change it at 30000 kms.

It is dangerous & totally false economy, to run tyres without adequate tread depth.

Cheers

Its 2mm for cars IMO

Ishan, is that right?

Worth mentioning that uneven wear can be as dangerous as full/even wear. I've seen tyres many completely worn out on one side and a healthy amount of 'reassuring' tread showing on the other side.

As patchyboy has said, the tyre wear meter is built in the tyres. I have visited Bridgestone tyres in Indore and they also recommend the same.

Yes Headers, the legal limit for car tyres is a minimum depth of 2 mm. Anything below is considered illegal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 963635)
It is unfortunate that in our country the Traffic Cops NEVER look at the condition of tyres.

While I understand your point that driving with bad tyres is dangerous for everybody, it is bad if cops have yet another reason to demand hafta.

Here is my experience with Motor Vehicle inspestors in the motor vehicle department. The vehicle is undergoing its annual "fitness renewal test" and guy is inspecting the underbody. On the mountigs of the spring leaf, where the leaf assembly connects to the yoke / shoe, the bugger sees a strange looking nut, with a tear drop like protrusion. This tear drop like thing has a hole. The bugger says "that hole should not be there".

If you did not get it, he was looking at a grease nipple. If that is level of knowledge empowered persons supposed to have technical knowledge, just imagine what the sada havaldar will start saying.

I find a lot of cabs with worn out tyres.
I dont use them but if you do.
You might consider raising this issue with your admin in-charge.

In tyres with no wear indicator, how can we make out that it's time to change the tyre ?

In some bike tyres, I couldn't find any wear indicator !