Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2005, 16:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestone Potenza G3 - First Impression....

18th March 2005 : Finally!!! After riding those stock BS S322s for 48000 km, my car got a tyre upgrade today.

Got a call from the dealer at around 12 pm saying that the tyres had arrived. With no time to lose, i reached there ASAP!!

There they were, my freedom to performance, comfort and safety.

As most of yo'll know, i upgraded to 195/60 R14 from my OE 175/65 R14 tyres. Diff in overall circumference and diameter is negligible and the tyres don't touch any part of the car. Infact, there's enuf space between the side wall of the tyre and the suspenssion, for my finger to slide through.

Anybody thinking of 205s?? Be my guest!!!

Rolling Resistance : Reduced a lot. The car rolls freely now.

Tyre Noise : What's that?? I must have driven the car for around 20kms today and i heard nothing, absolutely nothing.

Comfort : Beyond expectations. The car feels completely diff now. Potholes or not, you just glide over everything.

Steering and Feedback : Ofcourse the steering does feel a wee bit hard but, the feedback is the same.

Lateral and straight line performance : Haven't checked the lateral performance as yet but the accelelration is the same (thanks to it's lower rolling resistance).

Weight : Yes, these tyres are slightly heavier than the stock ones. But hey, can't compare 175s with 195s, they're bound to be heavy. And they have a lot more rubber on them.

Contact Patch : I didn't see a significan't increase in contact patch. What they've done, is that they've utilised that extra 20 mm to space out the treads which helps push out water and air, very easily.

Compound : Much softer than the older ones.

Braking : Haven't tried as yet. But, i bet it has imroved, a lot!!

Valves : The G3's don't come with valves so, i had to buy 5 valves manufactured by Triton. I was happy for that, since Triton happens to be my aunt's company in B'lore.

Puncture Kit : I didn't get one. Do they come with the tyres or do you generally buy them seperately?

Price ; Each tyre cost me 3550 but, the dealer reduced that to 3500. So i paid 17500 for 5 tyres and around 170 for their respective valves.

The only draw back is that the cap that tightens the spare tyre (in the boot) was designed for 175mm tyres and now with the 195mm tyre, there's no contact so, until i get a longer tightning cap, i'll have to let the spare jump around in the boot. Lucky bugger!!!

Pictures :

1. Side profile check : As you can see in the pic, even thought both tyres are of 65 and 60 profile, a calculated upgrade will not change their side wall height.

2. 175mm vs 195mm : This pic shows you the diff between a 175mm tyre and a 195mm tyre.

3. Overall diameter : You can clearly see that the diff in diameter is hardly noticable.

4. Tyre and Suspenssion : This is the gap between the tyre wall and the suspenssion.

5. Side by side : Both tyres together.

Potenza G3

Potenza G3 (2)

19th March 2005 - First Drive

Took my car out for a spin this morning. I wasn't really pushing except for a few turns and here are my views.

Lateral Grip : More than enuf. I took 2 turns at full blast 120+ and no screeches, the old tyres used to give up at 100 on those same turns.

Hard Braking : Yup, there was a wheel lock for a fraction of a sec when i had to come down from 150kmph to 60kmph in a hurry. Atleast now i know that the brakes are in top condition. LOL

High speed stability : At 150kmph, these tyre gave me the same confidence as my older ones did at 70-80. That's good if you ask me. Considering that i was just 35-40kmph short of top speed.

Shan2nu

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 19th March 2005 at 08:45.
Old 18th March 2005, 16:58   #2
BHPian

Hey.. Congrats on the new tyres!! So you finally got down to it.
But i really dont understand how the contact patch could be the same.
Also was just wondering whether these tyres have a softer compound than the ones i have on mine.
Old 18th March 2005, 17:01   #3
BANNED

congo man. i need some new rubber on my accent now as well. done 35000 kms. so are the tyres better than the GD d2 or the same im confused as well as to which to put the GD d2 the G3 or michi ones. pics please
Old 18th March 2005, 17:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats shan2nu!! Finally got some new rubber for your car!
Old 18th March 2005, 17:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But i really dont understand how the contact patch could be the same
Ofcourse, it is slightly bigger but not as much as i thought it would be. I'll be clicking the pics maybe today or tom. You'll see what i mean when you see them. I'll keep the old one next to it for reference.

Quote:
Also was just wondering whether these tyres have a softer compound than the ones i have on mine.
Inside the tyre, there's a soft compound which starts from the middle and then spreads out as the tyre wears. It's got a mix of both i guess.

Shan2nu
Old 18th March 2005, 17:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey congrats!!!
i must say FINALLY you got your tires.
enjoy them dude but remember you need to drive around easy till the first layer wears off before putting it to its pace.
Old 18th March 2005, 17:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congo man. i need some new rubber on my accent now as well. done 35000 kms. so are the tyres better than the GD d2 or the same im confused as well as to which to put the GD d2 the G3 or michi ones. pics please
Well, i dunno if they're better than the D2s cos i haven't driven any car with those tyres. Drive a similar car with all 3 tyres are you'll know better.

Shan2nu
Old 18th March 2005, 17:26   #8
BHPian

hey shan congrats. how much were those? so how many tires did you get? 4 or 5?
Old 18th March 2005, 17:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey shan congrats. how much were those? so how many tires did you get? 4 or 5?
Well, i was told 3600 in Blore, got a deal for 3550 in Hubli but today the dealer decided to make that a round figure of 3500. So i ended up paying 17,500 for 5 tyres.

Shan2nu
Old 18th March 2005, 17:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats on the new tyres man. Waiting for a full report.

Drifter
Old 18th March 2005, 17:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

It's about time! Or actually, long overdue! Now you can really experience the Vtec as its was meant to be experienced!
Old 18th March 2005, 19:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey congrats!!!
i must say FINALLY you got your tires.
enjoy them dude but remember you need to drive around easy till the first layer wears off before putting it to its pace.
Yup, i'm gonna take it easy for a while.

Quote:
It's about time! Or actually, long overdue! Now you can really experience the Vtec as its was meant to be experienced!
These tyres have really given my the confidence now. After all safety comes first.

Shan2nu
Old 18th March 2005, 21:10   #13
BHPian

congrats on the tyre....had potenza g3(185/r14) on my accent gtx but tyre was very noisy and dint handle well at high speeds...dealer changed it to turanzas
Old 18th March 2005, 21:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
congrats on the tyre....had potenza g3(185/r14) on my accent gtx but tyre was very noisy and dint handle well at high speeds...dealer changed it to turanzas
Funny coz my tyres are extra smooth and silent. Feels like the car is running on velvet or something.

If i could live with the S322 for 48K kms, no way the G3s are gonna trouble me.

Shan2nu
Old 18th March 2005, 22:31   #15
BHPian

congrats shan2nu, the pics are a very good description of what u mean. an addon for the v-tec experience now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks