Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 18:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I was running PP1s on my Civic and had a scary tire burst. Later I was told (by a friend and fellow T-Bhpian) that PP1s have soft sidewalls and are prone to cuts (there was a huge gash on the burst tire), a problem that has been rectified in the PP2s.
wow this is news to me. I thought PP1 were only lacking is wet weather grip. This is the first time I am hearing this. Seems like there are more than one instance on T Bhp itself against Michelins.
Old 16th September 2008, 21:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nikhil, lets not forget that Michelin sells amongst the most expensive tyres in India. Premium pricing should equate to premium service. They should be setting an example rather than following the pack in their handling of complaints.
The pricing also means that not everybody can afford the michelins. The customer's which Michelin caters to are more discerning buyers than the standard buyers which need just set of 4 tyres for their car. They are not worried about grip, handling, ride comfort, road noise.
Old 17th September 2008, 00:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nikhil, lets not forget that Michelin sells amongst the most expensive tyres in India. Premium pricing should equate to premium service. They should be setting an example rather than following the pack in their handling of complaints.
Very right GTO. I think I paid more than Rs. 800 per tyre premium over Yokohama for the 195/60R15 MXV8 tyres a while back. And I guess what I expect is good tyre performane and peace of mind.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 17th September 2008 at 00:44.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

@ Nikhilb2008

You mentioned in your post that Falken is a new company & gives good service etc etc. I had used Falkens on my Zen & Astra way back in 98 & 99. So they certainly do not qualify as a new company.

IMHO, Your justification of Michelins attitude has no merit, no offence to you, but you are defending a "wrong" standpoint of the company.

GUILTY till proven innocent !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 17th September 2008 at 18:07.
Old 17th September 2008, 20:36   #50
Team-BHP Support

Lets see what Michelin has to say.

Given the fact that:
- its happened on all 4 tyres
- after only 7k of use
- ishan knows enough about his tyres

I would be very suprised with michelin if they did not honour the warranty.

In the meanwhile, rags - post some pictures!!!
Also, what was the timeframe within which all the buldges started to appear?
Are all the buldges on the outside/road facing side?

cya
R
Old 17th September 2008, 20:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan
All buldges are on the outside/road facing side.

For the past few days Ishan has been battling with another quality defect, Broadband connection issue.
Old 17th September 2008, 21:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Rehaan
All buldges are on the outside/road facing side.

For the past few days Ishan has been battling with another quality defect, Broadband connection issue.

I just could not resist this !!! Is / was the broadband sponsered by Michelin ???

Hope Michelin sees the real picture & honours what is due to a "customer" irrespective of whether it is Ishaan or any man off the street.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2008, 14:25   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I think the premium pricing in michelin's case has more to do with thier having limited range of tyres from which to recover thier costs and then make a decent profit vis a vis other tyre manufacturers. Add to it things like excise and tax holidays that local manufacturers can avail of.
Michelin has a premium position in larger markets too. I remember their tyres being substantially more expensive than the usual Bridgestone etc. in the States.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:44   #54

Hi boss

this is tyrestore from chennai.I am a michelin priority patner and would like to know more on the problem u faced with your tyre.

Since i have not had any problems in the pp range please put some light on it and just for my knowledge who from michelin had inspected your tyre

Deepak Chordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Since I give the company & it's products bouquets & compliments when they are doing good, I guess it's right on my part to also give them the brickbats when needed.

The story is, I fitted on a new set of PP1's in 185/60 R14 size on to my car a few months back. Since then the car is being driven sparingly & has covered about 7k kms. of additional mileage. In the meanwhile the tyres have one by one developed bulges & as a result all 4 new tyres on the car now have badly bulging sidewalls.

Yesterday, representatives of Michelin India inspected the tyres & after a lot of haggling have agreed to consider the case. Initially they had refused to even entertain a claim despite the fact that the complete set of new tyres has bulges. If it was 1 or 2 tyres I could understand but the whole set is slightly hard to digest. That too the car having done very little additional mileage since these tyres were fitted.

An interesting fact that I pointed out to them too is that out of the previous two sets of tyres, Michelin Energy XM1 in 185/65 R14 (fitted when the suspension was in a bad shape) & Pilot Preceda 1 in 195/60 R14 had only one tyre which developed a similar fault and too happened only towards the end of the life of the tyre. So why does this set develop a problem in all 4 tyres? To this they had no logical explanation.

Now the official line is that they are considering the case & I'll get to hear from them on Monday as to whether they will be honouring any warranty or not. Will post some pictures of the tyres later in the evening.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2008 at 19:04. Reason: Please don't share phone numbers of your store on a public thread. Read our rules!
Old 24th September 2008, 20:49   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not saying it's easy for anyone to swallow this kind of treatment without an argument. All I'm asking for is a bit pf patience.

You all are asking for premium service because the brand charges a premium. This is the real world. Things do not happen as we wish.

We wish all car manufacturers give good A.S.S. They make good quality cars which dont rattle and squeak after a while. We dont get them.

I am not defending Michelin. I have nothing to do with the company. I'm just asking for a bit of patience. What we want is never what we get.

Ideal scenario is different from the real world scenario.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Even i faced problem with Michelin PP1 tires in my getz crdi. Tyre dealer told me clearly that there cannot be a manufacturing defect when it comes to michelin tires.
So i had to sell them at much lesser price even though i used them for only 2K KM.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:16   #57
BHPian

probably just an unwanted suggestion.

There should be a thread where in the Manufacturer+date of Manufacture and defect noticed is commented upon.

This would help all owners of the respective product check their details and protect themselves,from their investment and fatalities.

In order to keep this thread free from long winded stories and experiences , i suppose it should only be edited by MODS/Support Staff in T-bhp.No comments or whatsoever, just final conclusions on threads started by everyone and a post for all owners to check their own purchases in that category.At most maybe Head-Office contact details can be given for the ones that want a place to start their reimbursement/replacement process.For people that are reluctant to search through forum, they are just directed to the respective thread to ask their queries via a link on the post.

Manufacturers need to know that their quality/service/branding is taken seriously by all of us.We end up in the London Metro for the sweet holy cow's sake!, Im sure a thread reminding consumers to check on the folowing would go a long way in many more appreciative and safer forum readers.
  • Manufacturer name
  • Batch no of manufactured product
  • Date/Serial stamped on product
  • Head Office Contact details
  • Actual Defect + How to check on it (with photos if available)
T-BHP in a way is responsible for enlightening all forum visitors.Better products, VFM products and also choosing expensive/cheaper products as a better option. We all spend more(or less) than what we began with as a budget invariably.In light of all of us passing our opinions and judgements, i reckon for us to warn the buyers of defective commodities which they may have been afected with will be a good idea.

If its Grey Market products, they dont qualify,Period.It was a choice made with the risks known well before hard earned money was splashed out on.
Old 27th September 2008, 14:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures, I shall answer the queries later. Michelin has indeed come back with an offer, we'll probably finalise something on Monday when their representative is going to come & meet me.

P.S. Artwork on the tyres done by the dealer himself!
Attached Thumbnails
Quality defect in Michelin Pilot Preceda's??-img_9761-large.jpg  

Quality defect in Michelin Pilot Preceda's??-img_9763-large.jpg  

Quality defect in Michelin Pilot Preceda's??-img_9765-large.jpg  

Quality defect in Michelin Pilot Preceda's??-img_9766-large.jpg  

Old 27th September 2008, 15:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

I like the way he's written "Good Quality! Keep us updated.

OT: That's a nice combo of footwear & socks :P
Old 27th September 2008, 15:47   #60
BHPian

Arey Tyre bhagwaan, just apply some cold ice & then iodex to bulge, simple... Soojan nikal jayeegi. lol

Jokes apart , will you be settling for Michelin PP1 (new once) for replacement or planning to switch to Yokohama's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks