Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 15:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

What the right size?

My Indica Vista came with 175/65 R13 tyres. I think they are absolutely undersized for the car's dimensions.

I think a right upsize could be 186/60 R14.

Please suggest.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:16   #32
BHPian

re: Indica Vista : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am currently running the OEM GoodYear GT3 175/65 R14's. They absolutely suck. It has run for about 22K. But, these Goodyears are as tough as hell. I have driven over the worst of roads(so called) that made the suspension squeak. The GT3's are as fresh as they were when new.

I am planning to switch over to Michelins.

There are two options:

Pilot Preceda PP2 185/60R14

Energy XM1+ 175/65R14

I am particular about the comfort offered. The ride quality should be better than the GT3, because my dad uses it a lot. Price no bar.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 14th January 2011 at 10:21.
Old 14th January 2011, 11:03   #33
BHPian

Hmm.. if confort is your most important parameter, then I advise against upsizing.

With th estock size, 175/65 R14, the total sidewall height is 175*(65%)*2 = 227.5mm
With the proposed new tires, 185/60 R14, the total sidewall height is 185*(60%)*2 = 222mm

And since I assume that the sidewall height roughly corelates to the comfort offered by tires of the same make and material, it would make it worse, even if the change is only minor.

If you do wanna upsize tho, see if there's any sizes that fit without decreasing the sidewall height or fouling up the suspension. I have no idea about availability but something on the lines of 195/60 R14 (234mm) or 185/65 R14. (240.5mm)

And as a disclaimer, this is only a theoretical analysis of the given situation as I haven't really conducted any practical tests related to this....I haven't changed the Bridgestone B250s that I got with my vista

Last edited by nukeblitz : 14th January 2011 at 11:05.
Old 27th July 2011, 04:51   #34
BHPian

Sorry for bumping this up.
I have a two and a half year old vista quadrajet which has clocked close to 47k. I was running the stock Goodyear tyres. I had changed one of them to Bridgestone as it had burst as a result of a minor accident.
While the tread on the tyres still looks ok, I am inclined towards replacing these tyres.
I have a very limited knowledge of tyres.
Can anyone tell me what will be a good replacement?
I would prefer a fine balance between drive comfort, safety and stability.
I read about figures like 185/60/r15 and so on. What exactly do those figures denote?
What brand would be preferable?
What would be the approximate cost considering I replace 5 tyres?
What is a good place to get the replacement done in Delhi/ Gurgaon?
Old 27th July 2011, 13:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
Sorry for bumping this up.
I have a two and a half year old vista quadrajet which has clocked close to 47k. I was running the stock Goodyear tyres. I had changed one of them to Bridgestone as it had burst as a result of a minor accident.
While the tread on the tyres still looks ok, I am inclined towards replacing these tyres.
I read about figures like 185/60/r15 and so on. What exactly do those figures denote?
What brand would be preferable?
What would be the approximate cost considering I replace 5 tyres?
What is a good place to get the replacement done in Delhi/ Gurgaon?
Before i suggest something, i have few questions for you

1) What is the size of the stock Goodyear tyres?
2) What is the size of the new Bridgestone tyre?
3) What is your usage pattern, more highway or more city or mixed?
4) What speeds do you generally drive at, high speeds like 120+?

Now some suggestions:

As per my knowledge, you can easily upgrade to 185/60 R 15. Vista's design has a room for a 15 incher. I would recommend you the Michelin XM1+ tyres. They are the safest when it comes to stopping distance, friction and durability. I know some people using their Michelin XM1+ for close to 70-80k Kms without issues. The cost could be around 4-5k per tyre. Do not expect any return from your current tyres. They will be treated as scrap when you throw them. At max, you might get 100-150 Rs per tyre.

If not Michelin, then Bridgestone Turanza or Yokohama A or S drives are wonderful tyres too. But, you need to check with available sizes and what suits your car. Generally, when you upsize, there is a speedo error introduced. There is an acceptable limit upto which you can upsize based on your car's design, weight, usage pattern and other factors.

Please go through TeamBHP's What Tyre thread or there are many websites which can tell you the most appropriate tyre size based on your car model and current tyre size considering the error percentage.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 14:22   #36
BHPian

The stock tyres as well as the Bridgestone one is 175/65 R14.
My highest speed would be around 120 and my driving consists of two thirds highway and one third city driving.
Old 31st July 2011, 10:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Before i suggest something, i have few questions for you

1) What is the size of the stock Goodyear tyres?
2) What is the size of the new Bridgestone tyre?
3) What is your usage pattern, more highway or more city or mixed?
4) What speeds do you generally drive at, high speeds like 120+?

Now some suggestions:

As per my knowledge, you can easily upgrade to 185/60 R 15. Vista's design has a room for a 15 incher. I would recommend you the Michelin XM1+ tyres. They are the safest when it comes to stopping distance, friction and durability. I know some people using their Michelin XM1+ for close to 70-80k Kms without issues. The cost could be around 4-5k per tyre. Do not expect any return from your current tyres. They will be treated as scrap when you throw them. At max, you might get 100-150 Rs per tyre.

If not Michelin, then Bridgestone Turanza or Yokohama A or S drives are wonderful tyres too. But, you need to check with available sizes and what suits your car. Generally, when you upsize, there is a speedo error introduced. There is an acceptable limit upto which you can upsize based on your car's design, weight, usage pattern and other factors.

Please go through TeamBHP's What Tyre thread or there are many websites which can tell you the most appropriate tyre size based on your car model and current tyre size considering the error percentage.
As per this http://www.bridgestone.co.in/tyre/ty...p?size_id=136\ bridgestone does not make 185/60 R 15. 15 inch only available in 195
Old 31st July 2011, 12:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per this http://www.bridgestone.co.in/tyre/tyreselector/byvehicle/bytyre.asp?size_id=136\ bridgestone does not make 185/60 R 15. 15 inch only available in 195
That is OK as long as it does not introduce too much error. Also, make sure that the tyre is not too high profile so that it hits the wheels arches while going over speed breakers or big potholes or making a sharp left or right turn. Michelin XM1+ are one of the best tyres, and if you get something that matches your requirements, then go ahead with Michelin. So here's my order of preference: Michelin XM1+ -> Yokohama A or S drives -> Bridgestone Turanza -> Others.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 12:58   #39
BHPian

Thanks once again for your advice. Shall keep all this is in mind.
Old 4th August 2011, 01:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hey I think this would guide you on understanding all those markings and tech specifications.

http://www.team-bhp.com/web/index.php?categoryid=14&p2_articleid=31

and this would help you choose the right tyre size

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

And reg the order of preference I would go with ajay_satpute.

Hope this helps.
Old 6th April 2012, 09:28   #41
BHPian

Sorry for the bump!
My vista has clocked 35k kms on the bridgestones (175/65/R14) and I am looking to change and upgrade to Yokohama A Drives (185/60/R14). The quotes that I have got here are around 4.3K per Tyre. Please advice if these are the right upgrade and the prices are ok?
cheers!!
Old 7th April 2012, 09:32   #42
BHPian

Hi all,
Got the tyres changed. went with a very positive mind for Yokohama A drives, though the tyres are great, reasonable and would no doubt do a perfect job in Indian conditions, still went in for the more expensive Michelin XM1plus 185/60/R14 (The XM2 were not in stock for this size yet).

Reasons:
First of all they are more greener tyres and use silica which aid in lesser rolling resistance, got a demo of it in the shop.

Secondly In case of a puncture when you check it in water, some water goes inside the tyre and stays there thus resulting in corrosion of the inner ring. This doesn't affect these tyres as they come with a layer of water resistant material.

& Finally got a good deal as the dealer was expecting more XM2's. to arrive and was looking at clearing the XM1plus.

Again let me clarify the yoko's are good too but if you can spend a little bit more go in for the michelin's.

Cheers!!
Old 7th April 2012, 09:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Hi all,
Got the tyres changed. went with a very positive mind for Yokohama A drives, though the tyres are great, reasonable and would no doubt do a perfect job in Indian conditions, still went in for the more expensive Michelin XM1plus 185/60/R14 (The XM2 were not in stock for this size yet).

Reasons:
First of all they are more greener tyres and use silica which aid in lesser rolling resistance, got a demo of it in the shop.

Secondly In case of a puncture when you check it in water, some water goes inside the tyre and stays there thus resulting in corrosion of the inner ring. This doesn't affect these tyres as they come with a layer of water resistant material.

& Finally got a good deal as the dealer was expecting more XM2's. to arrive and was looking at clearing the XM1plus.

Again let me clarify the yoko's are good too but if you can spend a little bit more go in for the michelin's.

Cheers!!
@ Schitre how is the performance of the new tyres in comparison with the Bridgestone's, and did u get them replaced at Premji's?
Old 7th April 2012, 09:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
@ Schitre how is the performance of the new tyres in comparison with the Bridgestone's, and did u get them replaced at Premji's?
Hi Maverick,
As of now I have driven about 100 kms, the initial impression is that they are quieter than the Bridgestones. The Bridgestones used to sing their own orchestra especially on the concrete roads, with these I can hear the engine, so definitely they are quieter. I would be able to describe more after some more running.

& yes at Premji's.
cheers!
schitre05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 13:35   #45
BHPian

Hi friends,
MY vista qjd is on stock BS 322 tyres ( 52000+ kms).Still bit of tread is remaining but are now puncture prone.So have to change these.I am planning to sale the car in the near future so I am considering VFM tyres.I have zeroed on JK Vectra 175/65/14 ( Rs 3600 per tyre).But dealer said you can also consider 175/70/14 of the same make ( Rs 3000 per tyre).Cool Rs 2400 diff for the 4 tyres.How will you explain the difference in the price?
I have calculated that there will be speedometer error of +3% than the stock tyres.Is it in acceptable limits ?
comment on the JK Vectra tyres. Perheps coming with VW polo as stock tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks