Old 16th April 2012, 22:12   #46
BHPian

re: Indica Vista : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Check the date of manufacture of the tyres,given in week-year format
Old 17th April 2012, 16:55   #47
BHPian

Hi All
I waited for the answers for some time,but didn't get it.I changed all 4 tyres to JK Vectra 175/70/R14 on sunday.They are looking good on the car.There is a increase of 9mm in the ground clearence .No scraping.They fill the wheel well more than the stock tyres.Total increase in the tyre height is 18.5 mm.Total cost is Rs 2900*4= Rs 11600 ( including Balancing,alignment,weights,Nalki).Will post the pics .
drvikasagrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:06   #48
BHPian

I bought bridgestone tryres as mentioned previously about just under an year ago. Surprisingly and to my disappointment, the tread on both the front tyres have worn off. I have done about 23k with these tyres and to the best of my memory i got the tyres rotated at 14k. I am posting a screenshot of the front tyres. The rear tyres have a good tread on them. It seems as if the tread has worn more on the inside of the tyres.
What are the various reasons apart from my carelessness that could have lead to this accelerated wearing of front tyres? And what would be the suggestion now?
Can I use these as rear or have they to be discarded immediately and should i get another pair of bridgestone potenza?
Old 31st May 2012, 22:29   #49
BHPian

sorry. forgot to post the pics.
The first pic is of the left front tyre and the second one of the right front. In the first pic there some metal bristles visible too. Wonder what that indicates. Comparing the fronts with the rears, i also get a suspicion that there may have been some foulplay at some point of time. I cant think of when or where though.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20120531_132603b1.jpg  

Indica Vista : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20120531_132542b2.jpg  

Old 9th June 2012, 14:01   #50
BHPian

My Vista has clocked 42000 kms and due for tyre change. Iam thinking to go for Yokohoma ES100 with 195x60xR14 size which has been quoted @ Rs.4800 each. How good is this model, considering that 80% of my drive is on rural roads, please suggest me a good option.
Old 9th June 2012, 16:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
The first pic is of the left front tyre and the second one of the right front. In the first pic there some metal bristles visible too. Wonder what that indicates. Comparing the fronts with the rears, i also get a suspicion that there may have been some foulplay at some point of time. I cant think of when or where though.
if your metal ribs are showing, time to replace them. its quite dangerous to drive around on them.
The assymetrical tyre wear points to bad alignment and possibly suspension damage. please do alignment ASAP, get new tyres, and have your suspension checked
Old 1st July 2012, 15:15   #52
BHPian

Planning to change stock bridgestone 165/65/R 14 on Indica DLX. Michelin 175/65 and 185/60 tubeless are options for upgrade. any suggestions? also would the stock iron rims suffice or change to alloys?
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
Surprised to see the wear and tear on the Bridgestones so soon. I, luckily, got Bridgestones as stock on my Vista and have done 32k Kms till date and the tyres still look fab and can easily go another 20k. I will find out the exact Bridgestone series and post it here. It will be easy to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Planning to change stock bridgestone 165/65/R 14 on Indica DLX. Michelin 175/65 and 185/60 tubeless are options for upgrade. any suggestions? also would the stock iron rims suffice or change to alloys?
You can easily go upto 185/60 without much odo error.

Micheling XM2+ are currently one of the best we have here. Go for those. Less NVH and pretty long life (50k+ at least). If not Michelin, go for Yokos.

Regarding rim or alloy, it depends on few things.
Whether the rims show wear&tear?
Your driving style and surface(city or highway or rough roads)?
Budget for new alloys?

Don't expect anything from the current rims. The tyre shop person might buy them as scrap.

And lastly, steel rim or alloys, which are best? There is no sure answer for this. Having alloys on your car doesn't change your world drastically. Its more of a style thing than a functionally useful thing. You should read the other thread dedicated to alloys.

Cheers!
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:13   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex
Definitely a case of wrong alignment. Get your alignment done at a reputed shop preferably 3d alignment.
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
You can easily go upto 185/60 without much odo error.

Micheling XM2+ are currently one of the best we have here. Go for those. Less NVH and pretty long life (50k+ at least). If not Michelin, go for Yokos.
Thanks a ton. I had homed on to 185/60 XM2.Returned disappointed as Tyre bore manufacturing stamp of 04/12 which makes them close to 6 months vintage.Dealer says thats the latest available anywhere in India, confirmed by their sales rep. Are they still good?

Also alloys available here are Neo, some brand which I haven't heard of. So planning to stick to the rims. driving is mostly city, and rims seem to be in good shape, though will get them balanced before mounting the new tires.
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

I doubt that information. He is trying to misguide you, so that you buy the tyres from him. Just tell him that I spoke with another tyre dealer and he's got brand new tyres bearing 6/12 date and then see his response.

If the rims are in good shape, keep them as long as you can. Make sure you do the balancing, alignment at least every 5k KMs as recommended. You can do the rotation every 10k KMs, if needed.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I doubt that information. He is trying to misguide you, so that you buy the tyres from him. Just tell him that I spoke with another tyre dealer and he's got brand new tyres bearing 6/12 date and then see his response.

Well,the guy,has the monopoly in Jorhat,at least,for Michelins; will have to check in other cities. Called up the Michelin call center, she gave the no. of the sales rep (NE), who echoed the dealers, claiming a shelf life of 5 years!!!

If the rims are in good shape, keep them as long as you can. Make sure you do the balancing, alignment at least every 5k KMs as recommended. You can do the rotation every 10k KMs, if needed.
Planning to do that; though I am replacing my stock tires in 35000 km only,which I hope is not indicative of any serious problem though last service indicated suspension etc. to be ok.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I have had 175/65 R14s on my Indica Turbo and they worked like a charm on stock rims. You get you few mm in extra ground clearance and a slightly off speedo reading. That's all, but the grip was fantastic. I had Continentals on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prram View Post
My Vista has clocked 42000 kms and due for tyre change. Iam thinking to go for Yokohoma ES100 with 195x60xR14 size which has been quoted @ Rs.4800 each. How good is this model, considering that 80% of my drive is on rural roads, please suggest me a good option.
If you predominantly drive on rural roads, stick to Bridgestone B250s. They have a harder sidewall compared to the Yokohama and Continental.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 13:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 23:33   #59
BHPian

Trying out ChangeMyTyre.com, for online purchase of the elusive michelins. Anybody tried them before?
Old 4th July 2012, 21:52   #60
BHPian

I have had 175/65 R14s on my Indica Turbo and they worked like a charm on stock rims. You get you few mm in extra ground clearance and a slightly off speedo reading. That's all, but the grip was fantastic. I had Continentals on them.

Finally I think I will go for 175/65/14 XM2 Michelin. No issues with Rim size as u fitted the same ones on the stock rims. Waiting for a response from the website on manufacturing date still

I know that this is within the acceptable 4 %, any diff noticed in the odo/speedo readings?

I'm keeping one new bridge stone tubed (165/65/14) which I changed a couple of months back. Can it work as spare wheel to three bigger tyres, in case of a puncture?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks