Team-BHP - DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/46353-diy-guide-how-repair-tubeless-tyre-puncture-18.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 4948631)
How can one check the location of very small nails, metal pieces etc in tubeless tyres from outside?

Use soapy solution on outside surface of tyre and keep observing for bubbles. For small punctures, it can be really tricky and patience is the key to locate it.
During lock-down, neighbour's car tyre had a slow leak and we could locate it only after repeated tries. In the end, we noticed that leak was at previously punctured patch, puncture plug had got hard resulting in a small leak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukiwa (Post 4949723)
During lock-down, neighbour's car tyre had a slow leak and we could locate it only after repeated tries. In the end, we noticed that leak was at previously punctured patch, puncture plug had got hard resulting in a small leak.

I was speaking with a neighbour on the plug v/s mushoom approach. As per him, nothing is inherently wrong with the plug based approach, but if the car is not run significantly after the plug based fix, there is no opportunity for the plug material to melt up do its job of nearly melding into the tyre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 4948631)
Noob question:

In case of pneumatic tyres, the guys repairing usually locate the puncture on tube first and then locate the nail by running the palm in the tyre's innards. They get to know the approximate location based on the hole in tube.

How can one check the location of very small nails, metal pieces etc in tubeless tyres from outside?

I suppose you would check only if you suspected a puncture and not regularly as in the absence of mechanized jacks to lift the wheels, rotating the tyre to examine it thoroughly would mean marking the visible portion start and end points on the sidewall with chalk or something else, then moving the car slightly forward or backward to view the other portions in turn, which is a huge hassle. It's an even bigger hassle if you want to check all the tyres using this process. Can be done and I have checked at least one tyre on a few occasions (peace of mind was more important than the hassle) - just ensure that you wash the tyre thoroughly so that you can see the rubber surface clearly, and look out for indentations in the rubber and shiny bits of embedded metal. Have a key or small screwdriver handy so that you can explore indentations and tiny cuts in the rubber to see that there is nothing hiding underneath. Usually a small nail or even a pin will reveal itself on careful examination as the part in contact with the road becomes shiny from all the friction.

Well, at least this is how I do it. Hope this helps. Would be happy to know of alternative ways of doing this as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukiwa (Post 4949723)
Use soapy solution on outside surface of tyre and keep observing for bubbles. For small punctures, it can be really tricky and patience is the key to locate it.

I am in the same situation now. One of my car tyres has a slow leak from a previous puncture fix. I took it to one shop and they said there are small cracks radiating from the previous fix, so if he fixes it again, it will again leak and cracks spread. The cracks seem to be very fine and small. He said to add a tube to it or just continue using it and periodically check and refill air.

Has anyone run into such a situation? What else did you do? Is patching it from inside better? Trying to look for such shops in Hyderabad Gachibowli area.

Sukiwa, how did your neighbour fix the puncture leak eventually?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchari (Post 5103857)
Is patching it from inside better?

yes, patching from inside is much better and safer option.

Quote:

Sukiwa, how did your neighbour fix the puncture leak eventually?
I only fixed it for him, I just inserted wider puncture plug that I had, pushing previous one inside. It has worked well for more than six months now.

Hi all,

Today I faced my first tire puncture. The puncture was caused by a bolt and it caused the tubeless tire of the front right to go flat almost instantly.
I remember feeling that I climbed over something but then assumed that it was maybe just a rock or something in the parking lot, then pulled the car on the main road. As soon as I accelerated, I knew something is wrong. Parked to the side to see the front right tire completely flat.

DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-whatsapp-image-20210923-22.11.20.jpeg

Myself, my wife and my mom were travelling. Immediately, I and my wife began the process of changing the tire. Soon, a guy returning from the office came by and stopped. Despite our repeated assurances that we could manage, he helped and with his help, what could have taken half an hour, took max of 10 minutes. Then the search began for a tire repair shop.
At the shop, the guy said that there appears to be a bit of damage to the sidewall too and hence a patch only would not suffice and that a tube has to be inserted. So, that is what we did.

I made a video of the puncture, quite badly I must say, the URL is as follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqeAwNAi7g

(If posting the URL is against the policies, Please moderate the answer and omit the URL)

Now, my question is, in cases of punctures by short stubby bolts, do the tires get so damaged that a new tube has to be inserted? The tire is max 2 months old. While I did not argue with the repair guy, I would still want to know if there is a solution to this.

Regards,
Kaustav Sen

Okay, a super funny, rather useful experience here: Last morning when I was getting my INT shockers retrofitted, I experienced something BIZZARRE! An activa guy came up to the mechanic asking him to repair his tubeless tire. Upon this request the mechanic was visibly pissed off and told me he has been asking this guy to replace the rims but he won’t budge. So yet again he tries refilling air to the now extinct tyre pressure system. But it worked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpanjha (Post 5191339)
Okay, a super funny, rather useful experience here: Last morning when I was getting my INT shockers retrofitted, I experienced something BIZZARRE! An activa guy came up to the mechanic asking him to repair his tubeless tire. Upon this request the mechanic was visibly pissed off and told me he has been asking this guy to replace the rims but he won’t budge. So yet again he tries refilling air to the now extinct tyre pressure system. But it worked.

Requesting admins to merge both my posts.

What I meant to write was, when the mechanic tried to inflate the tires on the damaged rims, it didn’t work, but a while later he got some wheat flour, and kneaded it just like for making a chapati. Then rolled into thin long chords and stuck to the sides of the tire where it would seal with the rim, on both sides. Inflated, and it worked. Anyone else has ever tried or seen anything like this? I mean even if it worked primarily facie, won’t the dough just dry up and drop in some time?

Hey Folks,

I would appreciate if anyone can suggest a place to get Mushroom puncture fixed in Noida. My new car just got a rear tyre puncture and did not want to go with the outside plug puncture.

Thanks!

Necromancing an old thread. What is the preferred way to repair a puncture in tubeless tires? Is it by the standard puncture repair kit or is patching it from the inside preferred?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomad47 (Post 5480244)
Necromancing an old thread. What is the preferred way to repair a puncture in tubeless tires? Is it by the standard puncture repair kit or is patching it from the inside preferred?

Any thoughts on best ways to repair punctures? Is Mushroom puncture still preferred solution or had there been an improvement in technology?
One of the repair guy said that mushroom puncture weakens the tyre as it requires buffing the tyre. I obviously don't trust them though.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomad47 (Post 5480244)
Necromancing an old thread. What is the preferred way to repair a puncture in tubeless tires?is patching it from the inside preferred?

'Necromancing' - That's a new word for me. Seems, you are a fan of Lord of the Rings.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeeprawat (Post 5565957)
Any thoughts on best ways to repair punctures? Is Mushroom puncture still preferred solution or had there been an improvement in technology?

Mushroom can't be applied on sidewall punctures. On sidewall, double plug instead of single would last long and is preferred.
For tread areas of the tyre, mushroom puncture is preferred.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur (Post 5604304)
'Necromancing' - That's a new word for me. Seems, you are a fan of Lord of the Rings.

Necromancy is the form of magic used to raise the dead (typical to the fantasy genre). And yeah am a huge LOTR fan

Quote:

Mushroom can't be applied on sidewall punctures. On sidewall, double plug instead of single would last long and is preferred.
I got mine done by patching it from the inside. Do not know what this type of repair is called.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomad47 (Post 5604626)
I got mine done by patching it from the inside. Do not know what this type of repair is called.

Mushroom puncture fix is as depicted in the below pic:
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-mushroom.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prithvi Mundur (Post 5604304)
On sidewall, double plug instead of single would last long and is preferred.

Re: Mushroom vs plug
In emergency I have been using a plug and then I get it replaced with a mushroom from reliable known repair shop.

Re: Sidewall puncture
I have just recently replaced a tyre due to sidewall puncture. I was told sidewall repairs dont last/are risky & since I take my car on highways I should replace the tyre.

Was I taken for a ride?