Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 15:11   #181
BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

Anybody knows any tyre repair shop in Hyderabad which repair bike tubeless tyres with a mushroom type plug (by removing the tyre and plugging it from the inside).

I used to go to a MRF tyre shop in Malakpet which used to do such kind of repairs but they don't do it anymore now. Please suggest any other places which do the mushroom type plug repair for bikes. I do know about the filler method from outside but I personally don't like it.

Thanks in advance
Old 31st August 2013, 00:36   #182
BHPian

One of the bigger tyre repair shops vouched that the strip repair should be avoided like the plague. Reasons as follows:

1. nail or other object may puncture it by going in cross. but the strip repair guy will always as a rule drive the strip in (before widening the hole) straight!

2. please see picture of the tyre layer by layer. if it is repaired by driving a hole into the steel belt then over time water enters the seal and starts rusting the steel belt - thus bringing down the life of the tyre.

The best way to repair is the old way by taking out the tyre from the rim and fixing it from inside by fixing 2 patches. from outside some other solution is used to seal the hole and make it waterproof.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-image007.jpg  

Old 8th September 2013, 13:33   #183
BHPian

Has anyone here got the mushroom-type puncture repair done in their car. One of car tyre puncture (regular plug-type) removed by itself. Tyre shop offered two solutions, put a tube costing around Rs.650 or get mushroom-type puncture repair done (Rs. 250). Any idea about reliability of this type of repair ?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-mushroom.jpg  

Old 6th December 2013, 12:58   #184

It was a normal day in the morning when I started to work. Suddenly felt something odd while driving. Felt some wobbling. On reaching my workplace I found that LH Rear tyre has punctured(not sure yet-inflation in the tyre is lesser than normal). I left the vehicle on Mechanical Jack inorder to not damage the tyre's inner walls. Waiting for the DIY by evening before starting home.
Old 8th March 2014, 13:33   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a Coido tubeless tire repair kit for 500 bucks from a local auto accessories shop in october-2013. It was first used in January when my bike's rear tyre was losing about 10 psi every 15-20 days. Found a nail on inspection. Used the tyre repair kit for the first time. Must say that inserting the spiral probe is not easy. Requires lot of force to create a space for the rubber strip to go inside. But finally managed to set it right.

Now last week, suddenly my car's RL tyre started losing air pressure. I inflated the tyre using my portable compressor in the morning soon after noticing low pressure but the tyre lost significant pressure by the evening when I returned home. Pulled out the kit and repaired the RL tyre too. There was a headless, pretty thick nail into it. As soon as I pulled it out, the tyre lost all the pressure almost immediately. Also, since it was the rear tyre, I had to take it out from the hub to carry on the repair job.

Both tyres holding perfectly after the job. Thankful to the nice pictorial guide.

Guys, any idea where can I get good sealing rubber strips? Out of 5, I have used 2, hence need to keep it in stock for emergencies.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 8th March 2014 at 13:35.
Old 15th April 2014, 22:05   #186
BHPian

Experts! I need some help with a puncture on my Duster's tyre. It has got about 0.75 inch wide cut by a metal piece. I have never seen a tubeless tyre with a puncture of such width being repaired. How do I go about it? Any trusted shops in Bangalore?
Old 16th April 2014, 08:34   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

No you cannot repair this with a simple plug puncture kit. The location of cut would determine if it is repairable or not.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:39   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Experts! I need some help with a puncture on my Duster's tyre. It has got about 0.75 inch wide cut by a metal piece. I have never seen a tubeless tyre with a puncture of such width being repaired. How do I go about it? Any trusted shops in Bangalore?
Take it to Madhus on langford road and ask them to check if a mushroom patch can be applied on that. That is your best bet
Old 16th April 2014, 09:54   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
A 0.75 inch cut is not advisable to be repaired. In fact, tyre manufacturers and experts recommend that a tyre with a injury of more than 1/4 inch diameter should not be repaired. But, I think that's a bit too tight. I'd repair tyres that have less than 1/2 inch injury.

Also, it is critical where the injury is. Any injury on the side wall should NOT be repaired, not matter how small it is. If the puncture is on the tread area, go ahead and use a mushroom patch to repair it. Rubber strips are not a permanent repair solution. You can use a rubber strip repair as a temporary measure and get the mushroom patch repair done at the earliest.

What do I do with a tyre having a sidewall puncture or a puncture > 1/2 inch dia? Well, throw it away! But if you must keep it, put a tube in it and use as a spare tyre. Remember - spare tyre use ONLY. Needless to say that you don't drive too fast or too long on a spare. It should only be used to take you to the nearest tyre repair shop.
torque!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 14:41   #190
BHPian

Those who live close to Rishikesh can visit Grover Tyre Shop. I faced this issue recently during my roadtrip to Rishikesh from Delhi. They fixed it in considerable amount of time but the work done was upto satisfaction. There were two punctures on the sidewall which were fixed using mushroom puncture technique. I was absolutely hopeless as all these roadside puncture guys suggested to put tube in Yok 185/70/R14 which I was absolutely not in the favour of.

Now searching for a similar shop in Delhi/NCR. Didn't find one in Rohini, can anyone please help?

Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 21:25   #191
BHPian

I had repaired a puncture on my bike's tyre a couple of months ago, however, it's loosing pressure @ 2 PSI per day now and when checked, it's a puncture failure as very tiny bubbles appear when soap water is pasted on it. The tyre is not worn out yet, and my friend who is a tyre dealer, suggested that if the tyre is removed from the rim it might get out of shape (it's a michelin scorcher). Is there a way to fix a failed tubeless tyre puncture?
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:18   #192
BHPian

I had two very small punctures plugged/repaired using flat patches from inside the tyre. I originally wanted to get the mushroom patch to plug the punctures but the guy at the shop suggested that I get the flat patch from inside glued to the tyre using both a regular adhesive and feviquick instead! He said that in order to get the mushroom patch in, he would have to increase the size of the two punctures (same as in regular repair), which would obviously damage the tyre more than it already was. So after getting the flat patches, I have kept this tyre as spare for now and haven't had to use it since. Can anyone please share their experience with these patches? Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 16:37   #193
BHPian

Just had my tyre puncture repaired with those strips. 9 of them, I was told that it was ₹120 per puncture, but managed to get it done for ₹1000. The punctures were small, but the tyre-walla himself said that the patch from the inside would do a better work.

What should I do? I travel between Mumbai-Pune weekly and with 9 punctures fixed, I'm not confident about driving at 80 Kmph. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:00   #194
BHPian

I had air leaking out from the tubeless tyre with repaired puncture for the 3rd time. With ODO at just 20K mark, I am thinking of REPAIRING it. The tread on these SX4 stock tyres are as good as new and hence would give one more try prior discarding.

Now the tyre wala guy is advising few options like try repairsing again, patch the portion from inside and locally vulcanise, install inner. Which one is most advisable of these for a stepny.

Rgds

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 3rd October 2014 at 12:01. Reason: typo error
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:06   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Inner patch would be best option considering puncture is already repaired thrice
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed