Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 09:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ishaan bhai... Topic should be changed to "DIY Pictorial Guide - How to repair a tubeless tyre puncture !" Excellent Pictorial guide for DIY enthuists... You surely lived up to your name.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good job maadi

Lovely post. But the actual fixation of the plug could've been done in more detail.
Old 25th September 2008, 13:39   #18
BHPian

+1 for sticky.

The pictures make this guide invaluable.
Old 25th September 2008, 15:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
+1 for sticky.

The pictures make this guide invaluable.
+2!

Great guide, Ishan! I've seen it done before, but the tyre guys take less than 10 seconds to do all this, so I wasn't sure if there were any finer points involved. Now it is clear as day
Old 25th September 2008, 15:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! I didn't think this thread would get so many responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
One Question though , in the entire process there was no Puncture filler cement or a solution involved ? dont we need it at all ?
Thanks for the kind words Peter, and to answer your question no solution/cement of any any kind is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Yes you are right. But I think I read during the initial days of Tubeless introduction in our country that, repairing a flat from the outside is not recommended. However, my tyre dealer always does it the way you just illustrated.
It is indeed recommended but for punctures on the sidewall. It is no doubt a better method but it is not done for two reasons, 1. This plug method is easier & less time consuming & 2. The mushroom patch is much more expensive.

Nevertheless I will cover that method also in the next instalment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Should not the insertion tool be turned about 90 degrees (1/4th turn) after the insertion when 10 mm of the strip remains on the outside and then pulled out. (I was told to do so). Please clarify this point.
Yes that is indeed required & I did miss out on it!

Quote:
Lets make this thread and a thread about how to change the spare wheels on a vehicle sticky in the tyre and alloy wheel section.
Quote:
@iragahava. I feel a few more things should be added to your original post. Points like

1) Symptoms to identify when the tubeless is having a puncture (as many a time the tyre will lose air gradually and will not be able to make it out)

2) How to identify which location in the tyre is punctured. (using water and how)

3) How to jack the vehicle and then go on to repair the puncture. (Many times there is no need to remove the wheel to fix the puncture, usually the front tyres where the wheel can be turned and easily worked upon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think there should be similar step by step guides for other basic stuff like changing wheels, fixing a fuse, jump starting a battery, or even opening the bonnet for some
Thanks Hemanth & Sudipto! I think I get the hint about the other topics! Let me see what I can do about them.

But Hemanth, your point #1 is going to be difficult since almost always a tubeless tyre loses air gradually only. I think the best way is to observe the tyres daily and if a particular tyre keeps losing pressure every few days then it should be removed for inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Ishan, what exactly is the strip material? And is it required to do the mushroom plug thingy at a later point of time, or is the strip good enough for the entire tyre life?

Nice thread
Thanks Sankar! Strip material I'm not so sure of, will get back to you on that after confirming. And no need to do the mushroom plug repair, this strip is good enough for the tyre life in my experience. Haven't heard of problems in the long term with this strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Puncture can be repaired without actually removing the tyre!

Cheers
Thanks Eclectix! And well technically it can be but only on the front wheels (I can't think of any method of extracting the puncture causing object & inserting this strip on the rear wheels with them mounted!) and that also only if you've accurately discovered the point where the puncture causing object is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lovely post. But the actual fixation of the plug could've been done in more detail.
Thanks H! What more detail do you want?
iraghava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2008, 15:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
But Hemanth, your point #1 is going to be difficult since almost always a tubeless tyre loses air gradually only. I think the best way is to observe the tyres daily and if a particular tyre keeps losing pressure every few days then it should be removed for inspection.
I know that. What i meant was to mention what you just wrote at the start itself, so that people with tubeless tyres who see these symptoms identify it as a puncture and then go about fixing it.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Isaan Singh Tyrewalla - that was a neat guide.

This job is so easy its scary. I remember when I had a puncture in my bike tyre and took it to the tyreshop (after filling it with tyre-sealant foam) - the guy just walked up to the bike, pushed Tool 1 in a few times, then brought the sealant and pushed it in with Tool 2 before trimming the extra off. I wasnt too sure I wanted to ride the bike with such a quick repair job!!!!
Old 25th September 2008, 16:15   #23
BHPian

Ishan, thats a neat guide. Something that was so obvious, no one cared to learn/teach so far.

Just to add to your guide, it is better to fix a puncture with at least half-the regular air-pressure on the tyres as it gets rigid without any pressure and it becomes very hard to insert the smoothening tool and even harder to insert the plugs. I have noticed it at my tyrewallah's.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Awesome guide Ishaan. I have always had the tubeless tyre repair phobia which is why I am still wary of moving to tubeless (or should I say was).
You have opened my eyes and now I am ready to get tubeless on my ikon . Tyre Bhagwan ki ....Jai
Old 25th September 2008, 17:02   #25
BHPian

Ishaan - excellent guide. +1 for sticky.

Let me try to answer this question:

Quote:

Should not the insertion tool be turned about 90 degrees (1/4th turn) after the insertion when 10 mm of the strip remains on the outside and then pulled out. (I was told to do so). Please clarify this point.
The "T" handle insertion tool with the eye looks something like this:

Name:  Needle.bmp
Views: 18724
Size:  681.2 KB

Actually it is two halves of the eye, with a narrow slit in between. After you thread the needle and push the sealing thingie into the tyre, you twist this tool 90 degrees. This causes the gap between the two halves of the eye to expand enough to be pulled out, leaving the seal in place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2008, 17:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

Actually it is two halves of the eye, with a narrow slit in between. After you thread the needle and push the sealing thingie into the tyre, you twist this tool 90 degrees. This causes the gap between the two halves of the eye to expand enough to be pulled out, leaving the seal in place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rajan
Thanks for the detailed info. . Now i know why it should be turned. I was merely pointing out that, this should be included in the guide.
Here is what i posted y'day regarding fixing the tubeless punture.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post989416

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 25th September 2008 at 17:26.
Old 25th September 2008, 17:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maan gaye, Tyre bhaiya.

A well-written and easy-to-understand pictorial guide. Thanks for the effort.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2008, 17:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

i was wondering how to manually repair a puncture since i got wrangler at/r tubeless on my scorp. thanks for the clear pictorial guide.
Old 25th September 2008, 17:41   #29
BHPian

What is the expiry date of those strips ?

I mean if I don't use the strips for about a year, will it lose its "stickyness" ?
Old 25th September 2008, 17:44   #30
BANNED

Great DIY postings which I am sure will help a lot of TBHPians.

Last edited by zaks : 25th September 2008 at 17:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks