Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 00:35   #136
BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

thats the big advantage with tubeless you can continue to drive, I did a similar 600km.

the guy at the puncher shop was saying most of the taxi guys in bangalore also go for tubeless and when they do have a puncher they just take a screw and screw it in to plug the puncher.

Tough in the long run it might damage the steel & rubber in the tyre they get to save the money needed to fix the puncher as tubless tyer puncher is costly (Rs. 100+) unless you are doing it your self with the kit...
Old 25th July 2011, 12:53   #137
J.Ravi

Just a few hours back, I received the tyre repair kit that I bought from ebay.in costing Rs 218.50 including shipping and discount. The kit includes rubber cement which is to be applied at the puncture as well as on the plug. Hope, it will be more effective. I don't know when I would be able to use it.
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-dsc04220.jpgDIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-dsc04226.jpg

Old 25th July 2011, 17:15   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just a few hours back, I received the tyre repair kit that I bought from ebay.in costing Rs 218.50 including shipping and discount. The kit includes rubber cement which is to be applied at the puncture as well as on the plug. Hope, it will be more effective. I don't know when I would be able to use it.
Attachment 582488Attachment 582493
I did not see the retractable blade along with the kit. It's a good thing to have handy in the car.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:26   #139
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I did not see the retractable blade along with the kit. It's a good thing to have handy in the car.
Thanks, mmxylorider. I do have a Victorinox swiss army knife in my Linea's glove compartment.

Old 10th November 2011, 18:43   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone repaired their tubeless tires using mushroom patch instead of the usual plug?

On one occasion the typical tubeless repair patch inserted from outside came off from the tire and the tire went flat suddenly. Fortunately I was driving the car (Laura) in the city so the speeds were fairly moderate so nothing happened.

Now one of the run-flat tires on our BMW is having a slow leak, plan to get it repaired. The obvious choice is to get it plugged like I have been doing in the past. There are recommendations to do "mushroom plug" or "plugpatch" repair which actually requires taking the tire off the rim and patching+plugging from inside the tire.

Has any one tried it? Any good tires shops in Bangalore that can do this without damaging the alloy ;-)

Or I should not worry so much? After all, even if the plug comes off the car should be stable given that it is a run-flat tire.

Here is a video (looks like lot of hardwork!):
Old 30th December 2011, 23:32   #141
BHPian

Hello All,
Had quite an experience today..was driving on the Bangalore - Tirupati Road, at around 2200 Hrs, the front right tyre went bang into a small pothole. There was no way, i could avoid it on the narrow highway. On top of it..it was non stop rain all along. I was luckily at moderate speed..and within a few minutes, car started to pull strongly towards left. I knew that it was the case of a flat tyre.

Unfortunately, There was not even a small hut or a street light where i could stop and replace the wheel. Wife also was accompanying me so did not want to stop in the dark.

Drove with a wobbling wheel for around a 1 KM, then found a suitable place and quickly changed the wheel.

Would I have damaged the alloy ? Also when i looked at the tyre, it was fuming. Dont know if it can be repaired..will check it tomorrow.

By the way in such scenarios, what is the ideal course of action..should one pull over immediately or can the vehicle be driven for a modest distance..?

Many Thanks in advance.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:34   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Hello All,
Had quite an experience today..was driving on the Bangalore - Tirupati Road, at around 2200 Hrs, the front right tyre went bang into a small pothole. There was no way, i could avoid it on the narrow highway. On top of it..it was non stop rain all along. I was luckily at moderate speed..and within a few minutes, car started to pull strongly towards left. I knew that it was the case of a flat tyre.

Unfortunately, There was not even a small hut or a street light where i could stop and replace the wheel. Wife also was accompanying me so did not want to stop in the dark.

Drove with a wobbling wheel for around a 1 KM, then found a suitable place and quickly changed the wheel.

Would I have damaged the alloy ? Also when i looked at the tyre, it was fuming. Dont know if it can be repaired..will check it tomorrow.

By the way in such scenarios, what is the ideal course of action..should one pull over immediately or can the vehicle be driven for a modest distance..?

Many Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, yours is a worst case scenario! Not much can be done. You can either stop immediately and risk being robbed or continue driving on a damaged tyre! I think what you did was sensible. From what you have described, I think the tyre is finished. Cant say anything about the rim until we have pictures. It should be ok.

Normally, if you continue driving with a damaged tyre, you risk destroying or shredding the tyre completely and damaging the alloy wheel. You also risk suspension and body damage(especially to the wheel arches and nearby plastic/fibre panels).
Old 4th January 2012, 08:58   #143
BHPian

Hello Nikhil,

As you predicted, the tyre was gone. It was a sidewall puncture. When the tyre was removed from alloy wheel, i could see a lot of black powdery stuff inside the tyre. possibly caused by the internal rupture.

The Alloy wheel was also slightly bent. The 'Tyre World' guys in tirupati, suggested a local tinkerer who could help. When I approached him, he told me that he could try heating and removing the dent..but would not promise anything as the alloy could easily crack on heating.

As I had no any choice, i decided to give him a try. Luckily, the alloy did not crack, and he was able to bring back to shape with minor effort. (Sorry no pictures taken).

I went back to the 'tyre world' and bought a MRF ZLO. (This was the only tyre with 195 / 60 R15 available with him). Got the vehicle aligned and balanced and drove back to bangalore.

After alignment, I did not go high speeds, stayed only below 110 kmph. The vehicle seems to behave normally. But in order not to take any risk, I am planning to buy a new alloy and use the repaired alloy as the 5th wheel. What do you say..?

Is there any place in bangalore where alloys are repaired, i would like to visit them for a second opinion.

Now ordering a new alloy from fiat..will be challenging, and may need lot of patience.
Old 26th January 2012, 21:56   #144
BHPian

i am planning to get this one:

Tubeless tyre puncture repair kit for cars n bikes | eBay

good to buy ?
Old 16th March 2012, 11:55   #145

@iraghava : The RL tyre keeps on getting punctured repeatedly. So this and the stepney keep on getting interchanged from 2 weeks to 2 months max. Could there be some other cause of puncture?
Last time the puncture happened on my way to Pune from Mumbai. I changed the tyre with the stepeney and and on my way back tried getting it repaired from the tyre shop at Expressway petrol pump. The guy found that the earlier puncture which had already been repared twice had developed a leak on the side. He said that the hole has widened too much for a strip to plug. And thats why it gets opened repeatedly. He said the best option was to insert a tube in this tubeless tyre, as the tyre treads a pretty good. (They have done like 50000km though).
Am sure theres a better way, so I did not get it repaired. Am waiting to find the right solution. any suggestion?
Old 9th April 2012, 20:11   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

The Michelin pilot sport on my bike developed a leak due to a nail . I fixed it with a stick. Two weeks later the tire started losing pressure from the place where the patch was inserted.so I got it repaired again by inserting a new one at the same place. But the leak has not stopped. How do I fix this leak?
Old 30th April 2012, 16:22   #147
BHPian

Good job!

Learnt something new today!
Old 8th May 2012, 20:52   #148
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I removed the puncture from my tyre at home (DYI), there was a one inch nail embedded inside the tyre (usually used by cobblers to mend shoes/chappals). Now I have exhausted all the 5 wicks/sticks that came along with the "m-serv" tubeless tyre puncture repair kit. Does any one of you have an idea from where I can source the sticks (a set of 5 should do). I don't want to purchase the whole kit as I already have one. Any shops in & around Pune or any online marts like e-bay etc?
Old 13th May 2012, 20:04   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Does any one of you have an idea from where I can source the sticks (a set of 5 should do). I don't want to purchase the whole kit as I already have one. Any shops in & around Pune or any online marts like e-bay etc?
Available at ebay and at storeji.com. Just search for 'tyre strip' and youll get result. generally priced ~80 bucks or so for a set of 5 strips.
guptavis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 21:28   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Available at ebay and at storeji.com. Just search for 'tyre strip' and youll get result. generally priced ~80 bucks or so for a set of 5 strips.
Thanks for the pointer guptavis. Will try at both these places & update the group once I source them.

Most Viewed