Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 22:33   #151
BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for the pointer guptavis. Will try at both these places & update the group once I source them.
here are some links:

10 Tubeless Tyre Puncture Repair Strips / Cords | eBay

StoreJi: Car Bike Tubeless tyre puncture repair 5 Strips | eBay

15 STRIPS PUNTURE REPAIR CORD TUBELESS TYRE | eBay
guptavis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 23:03   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer guptavis. Will try at both these places & update the group once I source them.
Have just now placed an order on ebay (through storeji)

StoreJi: Car Bike Tubeless tyre puncture repair 5 Strips for Rs 98/- & Rs 15/- as delivery charges, so a total of Rs 113/-. Have been promised a delivery date if 18th May 2012.

Thanks for sharing the links. By the time I could see these I had already placed the order.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 12:20   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have just now placed an order on ebay (through storeji).
StoreJi: Car Bike Tubeless tyre puncture repair 5 Strips for Rs 98/- & Rs 15/- as delivery charges, so a total of Rs 113/-. Have been promised a delivery date if 18th May 2012.
Today I received the StoreJi package by courier, Order placed on 13th May, courier received on 19th May, very near to the committed delivery date of 18th May, quite impressed.
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-storeji-package-arrived.jpg

Packaging was very good as if some high value item is being delivered (the strips cost just Rs 98/-) .
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-plastic-cover-removed.jpg

The strips were nicely packed inside a bubble wrap sheet.
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-box-unpacked.jpg

And surprise, there were 10 strips inside (I thought I had paid for a set of 5, but it was actually for a set of 10 (or 2 sets of 5 each), so each strip costing just under Rs 10/-. The strips are dark (blackish) in colour. The earlier ones I had were brownish. Don't know the quality of these strips. Hopefully they should do the job & fix the puncture with an airtight seal.
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-10-strips.jpg

Thanks to Guptavis for all the guidance.
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:55   #154
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The strips are dark (blackish) in colour. The earlier ones I had were brownish. Don't know the quality of these strips. Hopefully they should do the job & fix the puncture with an airtight seal.
Yep the tyre repair guy I go to has also started to use Black strip inplace of Brown ones earlier. I had procured brown ones for myself earlier. When I asked the repair guy he said the back ones are better - though I feel it is not about the colour itself as that would just be a pigment - as per the repair guy the Black ones are thicker and yes indeed it took them a lot of effort to put the plug into my Bridgestone 235/65 R17 tyres. It was much easier on earlier occations and this time three guys too about 10 minutes just to get the plug fully inserted.

Though the first post on the thread mentions/shows that Black strips are fake ones I don't really see why and how? So if that is the case a technical explanation would help.

For future reference am attaching the current rate sheet. Guys in Thane tend to charge higher than the guys in Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-20120530-20.26.333.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 2nd June 2012 at 14:59.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep the tyre repair guy I go to has also started to use Black strip inplace of Brown ones earlier. I had procured brown ones for myself earlier. When I asked the repair guy he said the back ones are better - though I feel it is not about the colour itself as that would just be a pigment - as per the repair guy the Black ones are thicker and yes indeed it took them a lot of effort to put the plug into my Bridgestone 235/65 R17 tyres. It was much easier on earlier occations and this time three guys too about 10 minutes just to get the plug fully inserted.
Thanks for that info ACM. If the black strips are indeed better quality then it is all the better, but if these are taking a lot more effort to be plugged then I am a bit disappointed, because all this while I myself have been fixing the punctures (4 till now if my memory serves me right). Don't know how difficult it would be to used these strips for a DIY job, will have to give it a try.
Old 27th June 2012, 23:45   #156
BHPian

My Friend's Bridgestone tubeless got punctured on the way back from Pune to Mumbai. He was unaware of it and drove couple of KMs before realizing the same. He took it to a road side Tyre guy near Aundh and they did put in 5 strips, each costing 100 & They recommend him to 'patch' it. They said patch will strengthen the sidewall, as he's going to hit the express highway. Each patch costing around Rs 220. They poured some black gel on the inside, behind the puncture, burned it and then added a patch. Patch was like Cross shaped. 3 patches in all.
But was that patch really needed? any thoughts?
Old 11th July 2012, 14:23   #157
BHPian

This question has been asked in an earlier post on this thread without a reply. Am asking again.

I have a puncture on my tubeless right next to an old puncture that was fixed with a plug. The repair guy says "since the hole has become large, it cant be fixed by another plug ... the solution is to put a tube inside"

I am like "a tube inside a tubeless? "

He says "there will be no problems ... the only other option is to replace with a new tubeless tyre "

Any expert advice ?
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:04   #158
BHPian

Dear Bhpians :

Am having a peculiar issue ever since one of my car tyres had a puncture , the puncture was fixed using the regular plug method as its a tubeless tyre.

After the fix .. noticed the tyre pressure going down every few days and suspected air leak through the recently fixed puncture , this has continued for some time now and need to get this fixed ... only thing is that am hesitating to approach any puncture shop for this as am unsure whether this issue can be fixed in the fixed place.

Just came to know today though that there is a type of method know as a "Mushroom puncture" which is normally done to fix such issues but am not aware of any outlet in NAVI MUMBAI that would be doing such repairs
( Mushroom )

Could you some one please share the info on any such outlets in Navi Mumbai that do such fixes ?

Cheers
Old 5th September 2012, 11:52   #159
BANNED

My car tyre got punctured in Chennai this week...

Being new to Chennai, I took my car to MPL Ford.. They said the puncture is a big one (*whatever that means*) and asked me to take it to a outside tyre shop for fixing...

Anybody can give me pointers on a good tyre shop for this -- Places near Nugambakkam, Mount Road (near Spencer's Plaza), Kilpauk would be convenient for me...
Old 16th September 2012, 21:26   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Just came to know today though that there is a type of method know as a "Mushroom puncture" which is normally done to fix such issues but am not aware of any outlet in NAVI MUMBAI that would be doing such repairs
( Mushroom )

Could you some one please share the info on any such outlets in Navi Mumbai that do such fixes ?

Cheers
My reply is a bit too late but nevertheless can be useful for the future. Mushroom type of repairs are carried out by the TYRE KING SHOP below krishna apartment, sect 14, koparkhairane, navi mumbai. Its diagonally opposite to DMART. Charges 150/-. per repair
sidmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 18:50   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmumbai View Post
My reply is a bit too late but nevertheless can be useful for the future. Mushroom type of repairs are carried out by the TYRE KING SHOP below krishna apartment, sect 14, koparkhairane, navi mumbai. Its diagonally opposite to DMART. Charges 150/-. per repair
Thanks Sid,

Very helpfull info indeed , and will definitely drop in at the place , fingers crossed , If I get another puncture

The ones that I had have been fixed by fixing a OMNI patch
Old 28th October 2012, 22:09   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info ACM. If the black strips are indeed better quality then it is all the better, but if these are taking a lot more effort to be plugged then I am a bit disappointed, because all this while I myself have been fixing the punctures (4 till now if my memory serves me right). Don't know how difficult it would be to used these strips for a DIY job, will have to give it a try.
Friends, this weekend I got the first chance to use the black strips. Actually on Friday morning when I was dusting my car, I observed that the LHS rear tyre was flat. I immediately pulled out the spare wheel, jack & tommy & changed the punctured tyre. I observed that there was a nail embedded right in the centre. Since I had to rush to office, I didn't have the time to fix the puncture there itself.

On Saturday morning the first thing I did was to fix the puncture. Removed the nail with a plier, which was almost 15mm long. There was one more chip, but it was just 5-6mm & not deep enough to rupture the tyre inner wall. I then enlarged the hole with the pointed screw-driver type tool & then tried to insert the black strip/plug in the hole. I tried with all might, but the needle didn't move beyond a few mm. Kept trying for 15-20 minutes, but at last gave up . Removed the needle & the plug. Wasted that strip as it had become useless. The new strips are indeed thicker (or could be tougher that the previous gen strips). I then cut/removed about 2mm of the strip throughout its length & gave it a second try. This time the needle pierced the hole without much fuss . I inserted it till such a dept that only 10mm was strip was left out of the tyre surface. Rotated the needle @ 90 degrees & pulled it out. Sprayed some water over the plugged hole just to make sure that the seal was airtight.

So a friendly advice to all those who are trying to fix the puncture with black strips. Remove some portion of the strip (make it thinner) & only then insert it, else you will have a herculean task to fix the puncture.
Old 6th November 2012, 20:37   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any idea which tyre shop fixes puncture using MUSHROOM PATCH in Bangalore ? One of my car tyres has air leaking from the site where there are already 2 conventional puncture strip plugs . So no point in pushing in one more plug . So either I have to put a tube or discard the tyre.
Old 28th November 2012, 00:28   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
So either I have to put a tube or discard the tyre.
Can't such a tyre be used as spare with a tube inside. May be next time, when another tyre goes bad, better of the two could be retained as spare. That way, one can always have 4 good tyres and an 'okay' spare, just in case.

OFFTOPIC:
Can't resist to extend your signature Sagar, sorry no offense meant in anyway -
"Theorem:Birth is climax
Corollary:Climax results in birth!"
Moral: Uncontrolled birth results in anticlimax!

Last edited by deetee : 28th November 2012 at 00:31.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:26   #165
BHPian

Fellow Bhpians,
Need your suggestions.
My Etios has run 24k kms on stock 185/60 R15 Good years.
While i was in Kokan last week a huge stone hit my front LHS tyre at my native place.
I immediately got down and could see a small sidewall bulge approx 3cm in diameter.

I have already replaced the front LHS wheel+tyre with spare wheel+tyre which is brand new.
The spare wheel (off course non alloy here) is looking out of place with respect to other 3 alloys.
Should i just exchange the wheels and put the problematic tyre onto the spare wheel?
Can the side wall bulge be repaired by some Jugaad as i will be using it only as a spare for next 5-10k kms after which i will be changing tyres.

Most Viewed