Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 19:40   #166
BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Should i just exchange the wheels and put the problematic tyre onto the spare wheel?
Can the side wall bulge be repaired by some Jugaad as i will be using it only as a spare for next 5-10k kms after which i will be changing tyres.
If you can afford, replace the tyre with a new one. Nothing else will give better peace of mind on long runs.
Else, take the tyre to a competitive shop, who can examine the extent of damage and advice accordingly. Generally, a side wall bulge could be reinforced (when using tube) and may be kept as spare (stictly as a spare). I had a similar wheel (with tube) kept as spare and in one incident when I suffered a puncture on highway at night 10pm, I used this tyre to replace the flat. As I didn't find any mechanics near by I went on with the journey. I didn't care to put this tyre with bulge back to spare even after I got the flat repaired. Result was that the tyre with bulge eventually distorted under high speed running and left me with a scary experience. So, better replace it, if not, use it with utmost caution.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:10   #167
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

The present Tubeless on my Ritz has done 32500 kms (the car will complete two years on 14 Feb). Am going on a drive to Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling and back round trip from Bangalore nearly 7000 kms.

a) Should I continue with the same set of tyres or should I go in for a fresh set?

b) As this set has still 7000 to 8000 kms of usuage left (keeping the 40 K standard-and apparently the set looks in good state) in case, if recommended that I buy a new set, on return should i change back to older one till the 40 K mark?? Will the new set have any issues if kept in storage till the older set mileage is completed??

c) as per the post the road followed from Bangalore to Bhutan is in pretty good shape less a few KMs where its pretty bad.

Jude
Old 29th January 2013, 11:21   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
a) Should I continue with the same set of tyres or should I go in for a fresh set?
To determine if your tires need to be replaced, please check the tires thoroughly for even wear and tear.

If the treads are unevenly worn in, then it is time to check the wheel alignment, balancing and maybe time to change the tires too (if the wear is too much).

Also check the tread wear indicator. If the tread depth is not much then change the tires. Different countries have different rules for tread depth which warrant a tire replacement. Check the manual for your car for more information.

If there are more than one or two punctures or if your tires are prone to punctures, buy a new tire.

Carry a puncture repair kit with you and an air pump that can be used via the 12v ciggy lighter socket in your car.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 13:10   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
To determine if your tires need to be replaced, please check the tires thoroughly for even wear and tear.

If the treads are unevenly worn in, then it is time to check the wheel alignment, balancing and maybe time to change the tires too (if the wear is too much).
Thank you for the prompt and informative reply. Luckily not suffered a single puncture till date (32500 kms) and ensure that tyre rotation, balancing as well alignment is carried every 5000 kms w/o fail.

How does one carry out a wear indicator check?? from the exterior the tread dept looks real good-will check the manual today

Will carry a puncture kit and air pump. Thank you once again.

Jude

Last edited by n_aditya : 29th January 2013 at 13:53. Reason: quote tags fixed
Old 29th January 2013, 13:55   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
How does one carry out a wear indicator check?? from the exterior the tread dept looks real good-will check the manual today
These links will be of help to you:

n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 22:03   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
These links will be of help to you:

Aditya,
Suppose there is a formatting error and unable to see the 2nd & 3rd link
Old 30th January 2013, 08:25   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Aditya, Suppose there is a formatting error and unable to see the 2nd & 3rd link
The links are working fine, maybe a firewall issue at your end.
Old 2nd February 2013, 21:25   #173
BHPian

Pune BHPians, do you know any reliable shop in Aundh/ Pimple Saudagar/ Wakad who does mushroom patch for puncture repair?

I had suffered a puncture about a year back. I repaired it using DIY method explained here. It held very well for over one year (22,000 kms) but since last week that tyre is losing air quite fast. I checked the previous puncture in water and air is leaking from the same place. For the time being, I have removed the old strip and put in a new strip at the same point. But if the strip doesn't hold well then I might have to go for mushroom patch.
Old 12th March 2013, 16:24   #174
Senior - BHPian

Is there a different in quality of the repair strips based on color? How is the Coido brand of repair kit?
Old 13th March 2013, 09:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Is there a different in quality of the repair strips based on color? How is the Coido brand of repair kit?
I am sure there is. the earlier ones that I used were brownish in colour. They were a bit on the softer side & easy to pierce through the tyre. The new ones, which I got are greying dark in colour & they are hard, difficult to pierce in tyre. Have to shed off a portion of the wick longitudinally to make it enter the hole after some efforts. However sealing quality wise both are equally good. Haven't heard of Coido brand, but all the kits are more or less the same.
Old 20th March 2013, 19:42   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I am sure there is. the earlier ones that I used were brownish in colour. They were a bit on the softer side & easy to pierce through the tyre. The new ones, which I got are greying dark in colour & they are hard, difficult to pierce in tyre. Have to shed off a portion of the wick longitudinally to make it enter the hole after some efforts. However sealing quality wise both are equally good. Haven't heard of Coido brand, but all the kits are more or less the same.
The brown ones are of good quality. The grey/black ones are fake/low quality. Suggest you buy brown ones.

Coido is a good brand.From my personal experience all brown ones are good.
Old 24th April 2013, 01:26   #177
BANNED

I have a doubt as to how much can a tyre withstand these repairs and what could be possibility of a tyre burst on a tyre that has been repaired 5-6 times?

Anurag.
Old 24th April 2013, 07:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have a doubt as to how much can a tyre withstand these repairs and what could be possibility of a tyre burst on a tyre that has been repaired 5-6 times?

Anurag.
I have fixed the about 10 punctures in my (5) tyres till date (all by myself, using the 10 wicks, which come in the pack). Only one puncture developed a minor leak, that too after more than one year of fixing it. So I have no doubt about the durability of these repairs. Tyre burst would be caused by hitting a pothole/curb etc at high speed. If a tyre has been repaired 5-6 times & you do a lot of highway driving, then you would be better off replacing that tyre to be on the safer side.
Old 27th April 2013, 23:31   #179
BHPian

I happened to hear a rythmic 'tuk tuk tuk' sound coming from the rear right tyre while driving today and stopped to inspect. Found a screw half embedded into the tread of my tubeless Michelins. I have read somewhere that one should never remove nails/screws from tubeless tyres until he reaches a puncture shop. In my case since the screw was only half embedded, i took a chance and 'unscrewed' the screw from my tyre. Thankfully the tyre did not lose air..in fact if i had left the screw in the tyre, it might have fully embedded itself and caused a puncture.

Any thoughts?
Old 28th April 2013, 03:27   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
In my case since the screw was only half embedded, i took a chance and 'unscrewed' the screw from my tyre. Thankfully the tyre did not lose air..in fact if i had left the screw in the tyre, it might have fully embedded itself and caused a puncture.
Good at least you found the source of that sound and removed the screw. Since you say there was no loss of air, but it could be like you may have a small hole that is loosing air slowly.

One thing I recommend is pour little water around the area where the screw had pierced (if you can remember that location or do it for the whole tyre). If you find bubbles then its a puncture.

Pour water slowly else bubbles will come naturally and you could mistake it for a puncture. Easy method than going to a bunk to check loss of air or a puncture guy.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed