Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 18:40   #16
BHPian

I just swapped my OEM tires on Swift VDI with Continental 185/65/R14 running on the original rims. My OEM tires had done 1600 k and got 3500 for exchange (4 nos).

Each new tire was for 3500/- including alignment and balancing. The cost of the Bridgestone was the same for the same specs. Also my Continental tires are made in France.

This is how it appened, I went to couple of dealers asking for 195 goodyear eagles for my swift. It was not in stock and both of them suggested I go for Continental tires. I would like to ask everyone are continental tires good and comparable to likes of Bridgestone ? Have I made the right choice?
Old 18th January 2009, 19:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

When I was looking out of tyres, one dealer recommended Continental tyres, but another one said that they are not really made for Indian roads.

Maybe top end cars come with Continental OEM since they have better suspension setup than the Swift. So I decided to give it a skip and went back to trusted Yokos.

Price wise, I guess it was similar to BFG for 195/60/R15
Old 18th January 2009, 20:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

tazmaan, the continental's are supposed to be good tyres. Since no one has used them in India you won't have much reviews.

Can you post some pics of the setup.
Old 18th January 2009, 20:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

I've driven Continental ContiSportContact 2s on an RS putting out over 200 hp. The size was 225/45 R17. No drama to these tyres, and they offer some pretty good grip. They're very quiet as well. OEM on a lot of high-end German cars -- some of the M series as well as some AMGs.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I've driven Continental ContiSportContact 2s on an RS putting out over 200 hp. The size was 225/45 R17. No drama to these tyres, and they offer some pretty good grip. They're very quiet as well. OEM on a lot of high-end German cars -- some of the M series as well as some AMGs.
Yes thats true and thats what the tyre dealer said one of the reasons I selected Continental.

I will post the pics once I get an opportunity to click them. The ride does seem to be very silent now and the breaking seems to be better.

I put the tires to test on the first day itself. One of the main roads (SV) where I have to take a left for my house I usually approach at speeds upto 60 kmph and break hard before turning. Now SV road is concrete and sides have paver blocks. So my left tires are on paver blocks and right on concrete road (two very different surfaces). When I used to do this on my OEM Jk's the car used to pull like crazy to the left. But with the continentals I didn't experience that pull.

I sure hope these tires last me. Mine are IN and OUT tires which means the outer thread pattern and side wall pattern is different from the inner ones for better cornering and better performance in wet condition. The guy at Infinity (Where I got the tires from) was very helpful in explaining me in detail with examples how it works. He also said in terms of performance these 185 conties will be much better than 195 goodyear.

For me more important is performance and dont mind if the tires have a slightly reduced life span say about 20 %. I am just assuming that continentals might have a shorter life span when compared to Bridgestone or Goodyear.

If some one has used continentals please give me some knowledge on the same.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Tazmaan,
Please post pics of the Continental tyres. I assume you've bought 4 since the thread pattern is different. So what about the 5th one ? Still with stock ?
Old 19th January 2009, 11:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Tazmaan,
Please post pics of the Continental tyres. I assume you've bought 4 since the thread pattern is different. So what about the 5th one ? Still with stock ?
On special request I just clicked the pics from my mobile. They are not very clear but should do the trick. My office staff thinks I have gone nuts after buying my new car because every second day I go down click pics of her and get busy on the comp.

Ok all the tires have the same thread pattern and can be rotated. As seen from the pic the outer edges have straight grooves and inner edges have it slightly curved. Also the thread on the outer edges run slightly up along the side wall of the tires. The spare tyre is the stock tyre and is only there to get me to the closest tyre shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-image_189.jpg  

Continental tyres-image_190.jpg  

Continental tyres-image_191.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 14:18   #23
BHPian

A few last batch Lauras have conti sportcontact2 as OEM tyres. Me too couldnt get much details on the tyres performance/ reviews but an expert ( on tyres) on TBHP mentioned thats its a premium brand in Europe and supposed to be good enough.
Old 24th January 2009, 19:03   #24
BHPian

I am offered Continental 205/55/16 @ Rs. 7300 each and 225/50/16 @ Rs. 8400 each. All incl prices with pucca bill in Delhi. Tyres are imported from Europe by Continental India and date of manufacture is July 2008. Is this a good price?
Old 24th January 2009, 20:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's the big deal about Continental? Their USP?
Nothing really. My last set were Contis...the sportcontact2. Half decent tire. THe road noise was bad and the grip was no good. It has really wide grooves and must be good for rain, but sacrifices dry traction.
Their only claim to fame is that they are used quite often as OE by the German big3. Nobody else ever uses them really.

Got rid of them and went to Dunlop Direzzas

Last edited by Mpower : 24th January 2009 at 20:15.
Old 25th January 2009, 03:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Got rid of them and went to Dunlop Direzzas
The Z1 Star Spec?
Old 26th January 2009, 08:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yup, brilliant tire. Slight loss of steering feel compared to the OEM Michelins (MXV4?) but stick like glue. Ultra high performance summer tire.
Old 27th January 2009, 00:47   #28
BHPian

Got fitted a pair of 205/55/R16 Conti Premiuim Contact2 on my Laura . Got them for Rs. 7200/each . Done nearly 3000kms and i must say the tyres are great . The roadholding is exceptional , Braking is preety good , very quiet too , handling is also better than the previous tyres ER300 . Overall excellent tyres . The best i 've ever experienced . I am so in love with these tyres that now i am planning to sell a pair of ER300 that 've done only 5000kms but only if i get a good exchange price .
Beemer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:07   #29
BHPian

I had the same (205/55/R16 Conti Premiuim Contact2) fitted on my RS and initial impressions are - very quiet compared to the original Dunlop SP 2000 which made a racket. Also made driving at slow speed on potholed roads better - the Dunlops used to make the car skittish. Haven't done any high speed driving yet as I am waiting to bed down the tyres over 300-400 kms.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I had the same (205/55/R16 Conti Premiuim Contact2) fitted on my RS and initial impressions are - very quiet compared to the original Dunlop SP 2000 which made a racket. Also made driving at slow speed on potholed roads better - the Dunlops used to make the car skittish. Haven't done any high speed driving yet as I am waiting to bed down the tyres over 300-400 kms.
@Bomi, How would you compare these with Michelin, Yokohama and Bridgestone? I am on the verge of changing the tyres for vRS and was looking at Michelin. One of the car dealers has suggested Continental as well. I have no clue about Continental. I am also looking at upsizing to 225/50 R16. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed