Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 16:35   #31
Team-BHP Support

Whatever it is Conti is pushing big time, yday my colleague went to a shop in Koramangala after i confirmed that they could get 185 Michellin for him. He came back fitted with 185 65 14 Conti's 13600 for 4 :P
Old 18th February 2009, 16:41   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jaggu --- It could probably because the sales manager of Conti was in town and had just visited that dealer!!

From what I can gather after talking to a bunch of customers is this: Continental is aimed more at comfort. All customers are very happy with the comfort of Conti. Many of them had Michelin/Bridgestone before.

One customer has a modded RS and he is running Contisportcontact and he is very happy with the tyres. He had AD07s earlier and he says the Contis are awesome too. Of course, outright grip isnt close to the AD07s, but overall, they are better when you take things like road noise, comfort, etc into the equation.

Continental company is also promoting their tyres as a premium tyre. Like Michelin, but a little bit cheaper.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:46   #33
BHPian

I have now used the 185/65 continentals for 2000kms on my swift. They have excellent grip which gives a lot of confidence. But the ride is little harsh (compared to original JK 165). One of the reason for this can be lower profile of the tires.

A lot of dealers are pushing for continentals and I guess they are getting some extra margins from the company. Companies do this when they launch a new product in a new place. I remember previously say 4 years back my tyre dealer used to push for goodyear tires.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have now used the 185/65 continentals for 2000kms on my swift. They have excellent grip which gives a lot of confidence. But the ride is little harsh (compared to original JK 165). One of the reason for this can be lower profile of the tires.

A lot of dealers are pushing for continentals and I guess they are getting some extra margins from the company. Companies do this when they launch a new product in a new place. I remember previously say 4 years back my tyre dealer used to push for goodyear tires.
I can tell you categorically, that isnt true.

COntinentals are more expensive to begin with. So, if we keep a very high margin and sell, the end price becomes too much for the customer. He will say "No thank you" and choose a Bridgestone or something. He might even choose a Michelin because at least Michelin is an established brand in the market. The margins are lesser on Continentals so as to keep the end price competitive.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:20   #35
BANNED

i have heard sai iyengar in indirangar have also taken continental dealership.. but Mr ashwin said that they are better than bridgestone but not better than michelin for sure
Old 18th February 2009, 18:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsize_expert View Post
i have heard sai iyengar in indirangar have also taken continental dealership.. but Mr ashwin said that they are better than bridgestone but not better than michelin for sure
I would like to know on what basis he says that. Maybe he has had some personal experience with them? Do try to find out!!

When it comes to the top companies (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Yokohama) there is hardly any difference. One tyre may be better than another based on each person's usage, but on the whole, there is no major distinguishing factor.

Just a small thought. Sai Iyengar is an MPP. Michelin Priority Partner.

Please note: I am not defending Continental or anything. I have nothing to gain from it.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 18th February 2009 at 18:58.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2009, 22:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
IWhen it comes to the top companies (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Yokohama)
Are these tires made it India or imported? IIRC Bridgestone has a plant but not sure about the others.
Old 18th February 2009, 22:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Only Bridgestone tyres are made in India. Others are imported.

Because BS tyres are made in India, they are giving us the old and dead tyres. The stuff which isnt used elsewhere in the world. This is the main reason companies like Yokohama and Michelin are able to give us the latest tyres as soon as it is launched in the international market.

Michelin is also in the pipeline of setting up a plant.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2009, 23:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil
Chennai , I heard. True?
Old 18th February 2009, 23:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One customer has a modded RS and he is running Contisportcontact and he is very happy with the tyres. He had AD07s earlier and he says the Contis are awesome too. Of course, outright grip isnt close to the AD07s, but overall, they are better when you take things like road noise, comfort, etc into the equation.
That's the car I was talking about. I'm the one who pushed him to get the Contis.
Old 18th February 2009, 23:36   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Chennai , I heard. True?
Yeah. I hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
That's the car I was talking about. I'm the one who pushed him to get the Contis.
Aaah ok! First ask him to get a proper set of bolts for his alloys!

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 18th February 2009 at 23:39.
Old 19th February 2009, 03:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are these tires made it India or imported? IIRC Bridgestone has a plant but not sure about the others.
Quote:
Only Bridgestone tyres are made in India. Others are imported.
Goodyear too are manufactured here but only certain treads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Because BS tyres are made in India, they are giving us the old and dead tyres. The stuff which isnt used elsewhere in the world. This is the main reason companies like Yokohama and Michelin are able to give us the latest tyres as soon as it is launched in the international market.

Grapevine is, tyre imports are banned now (mainly due to pressure from domestic manufacturers about imports of cheap Chinese truck/bus tyres) and so Michelin/Yoko have been given 6 odd months to import as much as they can & after that no more cheap or duty free imports will be allowed for anyone.

If the news is correct then expect the companies to import as much as they can in the next 6 months & then try and get their manufacturing plants up & running asap.

Will confirm this news tomorrow though, right now it's only a rumour.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I can tell you categorically, that isnt true.

COntinentals are more expensive to begin with. So, if we keep a very high margin and sell, the end price becomes too much for the customer. He will say "No thank you" and choose a Bridgestone or something. He might even choose a Michelin because at least Michelin is an established brand in the market. The margins are lesser on Continentals so as to keep the end price competitive.
True but the people who are cost conscious usually ends up with good years or MRF's because they have a cost advantage (not that they are bad tires). Further the marketing ploy used by continentals is like all high end cars like Rolls , S class etc come with our tires. I personally verified it and went for contis (you can say I fell for it). But I don't regret the decision and am very happy so far.

I had gone to the tyre dealer to buy Bridgestone he showed me bridgestone and continentals. At first look and feel of it I knew I will end up buying continentals. Till date all my cars either had goodyears or Bridgestone.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

@tazmann,

Did you get warranty on the Continental Tyres!?
Old 19th February 2009, 11:15   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
True but the people who are cost conscious usually ends up with good years or MRF's because they have a cost advantage (not that they are bad tires). Further the marketing ploy used by continentals is like all high end cars like Rolls , S class etc come with our tires. I personally verified it and went for contis (you can say I fell for it). But I don't regret the decision and am very happy so far.

I had gone to the tyre dealer to buy Bridgestone he showed me bridgestone and continentals. At first look and feel of it I knew I will end up buying continentals. Till date all my cars either had goodyears or Bridgestone.
You are right. Goodyear and MRF along with JK, Apollo have a huge price advantage. They are not at all bad tyres. Just that we as T-BHPians look down at these tyres with a certain snobbishness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks