Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 09:09   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

I think the UC6 will be the game changer for Continental. It has the good balance between performance and comfort. One of few premium tyres available in the 14 inch size which is a big plus.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 13:28   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Did you read the previous post? CC6 is quiet, UC6 is a performance tyre.
yes I did. However, I am comparing UC6 to the MC5 I had until now and not the CC6. Also the earlier posts call out UC6 as being silent and reducing noise.
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:49   #438

I changed all four tyres on my 4th generation honda city from P3ST to UC6. The ride has become soft and noise has reduced. Got a good deal at 5k per tyre including balancing, alignment and nitrogen fill up.
Gaurav_P is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:19   #439
BHPian

I'm planning a much delayed tyre change for my swift which is 9 years old, 40k kms run and still running the OEM MRF ZV2K, a combination low running and dangerous procrastination - here I am.

The MRFs have lasted without any visible cracks, and have good tread depth (atleast 50%) - and had 3 punctures till now spread over the 5 tyres! The tyres have always been kept at approx correct pressure and the car stays indoor most of the time and I'm a sedate driver. Not sure if this led to its longevity.
The main drawback is the tyre noise- one gets a constant hum - and gets more pronounced on concrete surfaces.

Now, planning to go for Conti CC5 based on the feedback on this thread, Yoko earth 1 being the other alternative. My usage is limited to occasional city drives and a rare highway drive.

I'm being offered 3.4k for CC5 (165/80/14) inclusive of valve & wheel balancing, Seller says the tyre is Nov/Dec made. Is this a good price?

Last edited by whitewing : 23rd January 2021 at 15:20. Reason: typo correction
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:24   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

I'm being offered 3.4k for CC5 (165/80/14) inclusive of valve & wheel balancing, Seller says the tyre is Nov/Dec made. Is this a good price?
CC6. Continental CC6 is the latest iteration and the sidewalls have apparently been beefed up over the previous one, the cc5.

Only buy the cc6 with Dec manufacturing dates.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:52   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
CC6. Continental CC6 is the latest iteration and the sidewalls have apparently been beefed up over the previous one, the cc5.

Only buy the cc6 with Dec manufacturing dates.
Thank you for the info Red Liner! Apparently CC6 does not come in 165/80/R14 that I was looking for. Went ahead with CC5.
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:15   #442
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Thank you for the info Red Liner! Apparently CC6 does not come in 165/80/R14 that I was looking for. Went ahead with CC5.
Upsize to 185/70 R14. 165 is too narrow for a car like swift. You will get better tyre options as well.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 21:02   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Upsize to 185/70 R14. 165 is too narrow for a car like swift. You will get better tyre options as well.
Thanks for the hint, I came back a short while ago after getting the replacement done.

I did consider that a switch in the dimensions, especially from a cosmetic viewpoint. But, given how we use this car, unlikely it will ever be pushed in corners nor will it see any spirited runs on highways and that additional "feeling" that a higher aspect gives a cushioned ride.
Now that I already have bought a higher aspect tyre, confirmation bias is hard at work and I submit the following :-)
The hunch on the ride quality seems to be borne out by other posts in the forum https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...html#post66255 (What affects ride comfort?)

There also appears to be a polish study on this https://www.researchgate.net/publica...oad_unevenness, I had a cursory read of the following paper, which appears to bear out the same. I do not know the rigor of this study, since it has been cited only once.
Quote:
Obstacle dimensions
triangular, 67 mm high,
square, 20 20 mm, 40 40 mm,
and rectangular, 40 200 mm.
The tests were carried out at low driving speeds of 6-12 km/h.
It appears that there are 2 major factors - air pressure and aspect ratio that influence the ride quality.

Quoting selectively
Quote:
-for tires with a lower aspect ratio the PSDMSA values are higher, which is visible in the diagrams, especially for triangular unevenness.
-increase in air pressure in the tire influences the increase of the PSDMSA value both during the overcoming of triangular and rectangular unevenness;
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-psda.png  

whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 15:55   #444

Just now back home after replacing MC5s which were 4yr old 50K driven 195/60/R15 on my Honda city 4th gen.

The tyre replacement was overdue. When I inspected the MC5s there was uneven wear attributable to 10K KM driving without alignment and balancing. For last 4K KMs I was observing humming noise too.

Now with new UC6 again the same size 195/60/R15 I could immediately feel the ride was softer and braking has more bite. (humming noise gone)

Ride being softer possibly is due to the 4 yr aged & 50K run MC5s which sure would have hardened up the rubber and UC6 being new I could feel the difference.

The present pressure on UC6 is 35PSI just so that the tyres fit the rims well for couple of days. Once I reduce it to 32/30 which I usually maintain I am sure the rider would be even softer.

However what impressed the most is the braking bite. Haven't done any panic or real hard braking, this is based on a slightly more braking on usual drive to feel the bite.

While I searched the web I was under the impression that UC6 I could have had only two choice for 195 width on R15; i.e. 195/55/R15 and 195/65/R15. The dealer to my surprise had the 195/60/R15 readily in stock. He did mention that this size/profile is hard to find in UC6.

Anyways quite pleased that I am on new set of tyres and much safer than I was running on the old MC5s.

Thanks to Team-BHP family for instigating me to change the tyres ASAP and guiding in selecting the new one.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 04:56. Reason: Typos
vtecker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:53   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav_P View Post
I changed all four tyres on my 4th generation honda city from P3ST to UC6. The ride has become soft and noise has reduced. Got a good deal at 5k per tyre including balancing, alignment and nitrogen fill up.
Hi Gaurav,

I'm also looking to replace the tyres on my 4th gen honda city, currently on p3st. But due to the import ban, am not getting p4st which I wanted to but seems UC6 is a good alternative.

Which dealer in Pune you got the UC6 from? Seems a better deal, Darshan Tyres Kharadi quoting 5.2k

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st February 2021 at 16:25. Reason: Typo
Old 1st February 2021, 17:17   #446

Hi Shailk
I changed the tyres at Eastern Tyre co., East Street, camp.
I had even enquired with N.Mehta camp but he didn't have tyres readily available but offered me the same price.
You can go with either of these dealers. Only advantage with N.Mehta is that they have wheel alignment in Shop itself while the other dealer do it from outside.
Gaurav_P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 15:31   #447
BHPian

Would the CC5s be similar in performance to the XM2s. I’m looking for 155/80R13 size tyres and the Continentals are around 350 rupees cheaper per tyre. I asked for CC6s but apparently they are not available in my size.
Old 3rd February 2021, 14:59   #448

Quote:
Hi Shailk
I changed the tyres at Eastern Tyre co., East Street, camp.
I had even enquired with N.Mehta camp but he didn't have tyres readily available but offered me the same price.
You can go with either of these dealers. Only advantage with N.Mehta is that they have wheel alignment in Shop itself while the other dealer do it from outside.
Thanks Gaurav, I'll check with those dealers.

Also, another dealer says he's got p4st set with 2 tyres of 0720 batch while other 2 from 0520 batch.

Guys - Should I go with UC6 or opt for p4st? Price quoted for p4st is nearly 1.5k more per tyre than the UC6.
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:11   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailK View Post
Thanks Gaurav, I'll check with those dealers.

Also, another dealer says he's got p4st set with 2 tyres of 0720 batch while other 2 from 0520 batch.

Guys - Should I go with UC6 or opt for p4st? Price quoted for p4st is nearly 1.5k more per tyre than the UC6.
P4ST is nearly a year old stock. I too considered P4ST before going for UC6. Paying the premium for old stock doesn't make sense. In UC6 you will probably get December end stock.
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:52   #450

Quote:
P4ST is nearly a year old stock. I too considered P4ST before going for UC6. Paying the premium for old stock doesn't make sense. In UC6 you will probably get December end stock.
Agree. And based on the feedback for UC6 so far, I think I'll go with it rather than pay the premium for old stock.

Most Viewed