Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 14:08   #706
BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Go for the UC6. They are better tyres than the CC6. Hope you will be sticking to stock size as Ignis alloys don't have enough room for upsizing!
I understand, but the dealer is insisting that uc6 is the wrong tire for the Ignis. He's stubborn that cc6 is the right one.
Old 27th December 2022, 15:22   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
It's time to change the stock Bridgestone ecopia tyres on my Ignis, and I'm considering Continental tyres. The website recommends UC6, but the dealer says UC6 is only for bigger vehicles. He says CC6 is the right tire for the Ignis. Strangely, the website says CC6 is an off road tyre. I'm confused. Dealer says that the information given in the website is wrong.
As far as I know, the stock size for the Ignis - 175/65R15 - is available only on the UC6 and CC5. CC6 is only having 185/60R15. "UC6 is only for bigger vehicles" - this statement has no basis - it is sold on sizes which are fitted on even smaller vehicles than the Ignis - Grand i10, Tiago, Celerio to name a few.

Quote:
I understand, but the dealer is insisting that uc6 is the wrong tire for the Ignis. He's stubborn that cc6 is the right one.
The dealer may not always suggest the right tyre for you, his motivations may range from product specific targets from the company to getting rid of old stock. Be firm, you are the customer!

Having said that, choose the product according to your priorities. UC6 if you prioritize dry and wet traction; CC5 or CC6 if comfort and low noise is more important. Note that the delta between the UC6 and CC6 in terms of noise would get equalised if you go for a wider set of CC6s.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 19:47   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
UC6 if you prioritize dry and wet traction; CC5 or CC6 if comfort and low noise is more important. Note that the delta between the UC6 and CC6 in terms of noise would get equalised if you go for a wider set of CC6s.
I was of the impression that uc6 would provide the most comfortable ride. The Ignis with the stock tyres is very firm. It hits hard on rough patches. I just want a smooth ride.

I'm not planning to upsize the tires as I have learnt from the Ignis thread that the rims aren't suited for upsized tires.

Oh, and one more thing. You mentioned that cc6 has only 185, yet why do you recommend cc6?
Old 28th December 2022, 10:53   #709
BHPian

Quote:
I was of the impression that uc6 would provide the most comfortable ride. The Ignis with the stock tyres is very firm. It hits hard on rough patches. I just want a smooth ride.

I'm not planning to upsize the tires as I have learnt from the Ignis thread that the rims aren't suited for upsized tires.

Oh, and one more thing. You mentioned that cc6 has only 185, yet why do you recommend cc6?
Conti's "CC" series (ComfortContact) is more Comfort and Life oriented whereas the UCs (UltraContact) is more handling and traction oriented. Attaching the performance comparison given by Conti. Though TBH looking at this graph I'd say there's not much between the CC6 and UC6 in terms of Comfort, fuel efficiency and noise whereas there's a large delta in tyre life (where CC6 is better) and wet traction (where UC6 is better).

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1439
Size:  24.7 KB

Also looking at this I would rule out the CC5.

Regarding upsizing, 185/60R15 is not a big step from the stock 175/65 and if based on the performance comparison, you feel CC6 is a better fit for you, go for it by all means. The default wheel width for 185/60s is 5.5" whereas the Ignis rims are of 5" width, so it's only a 0.5" tighter fitment which is completely ok.
Old 29th December 2022, 10:46   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding upsizing, 185/60R15 is not a big step from the stock 175/65 and if based on the performance comparison, you feel CC6 is a better fit for you, go for it by all means. The default wheel width for 185/60s is 5.5" whereas the Ignis rims are of 5" width, so it's only a 0.5" tighter fitment which is completely ok.
In the Ignis thread, someone had mentioned that upsizing in a 5" rim causes ballooning of the sidewall, which I'm not comfortable with. Based on your recommendation, CC6 with stock profiles should fulfill my needs for less noise, more comfort, and longer life.

On a side note, I had purchased my earlier car that was 9 months old, and soon realized that the discounts obtained were negated by the tire life. The tyres started getting punctured quite often(after a year), and eventually, they began to show micro punctures literally everywhere. What would be the acceptable period for a vehicle's tyres that that has been left in the lot at the production facility?

Last edited by JoaTMoN : 29th December 2022 at 10:48. Reason: Added info
Old 2nd January 2023, 10:33   #711
BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, I had purchased my earlier car that was 9 months old, and soon realized that the discounts obtained were negated by the tire life. The tyres started getting punctured quite often(after a year), and eventually, they began to show micro punctures literally everywhere. What would be the acceptable period for a vehicle's tyres that that has been left in the lot at the production facility?
Hi

There's no issue as long as the vehicle has been moved at least once in two weeks so that the same quadrant of the tyre does not bear the load continuously, and they are sheltered sufficiently from the elements. I had mentioned in a different post regarding checking for flat spots and weathering cracks, linking it below:-

Quote:
Check for weathering cracks on the sidewall and tread portion. Also, a rarely used car would have been left standing for months together and if not moved regularly, the tyre might have developed flat spots (small patches of 10-12 cm on the tread where the natural circular shape has flattened out) where the circular shape has in the region where it was in contact with the ground. Have somebody move the vehicle slightly and check different regions of all 4 tyres to make sure it isn’t the case. If both tests pass, use the tyres for another year max and then have them replaced.

Attaching a reference image so you get an idea -
Flat spot -
Attachment 2358621

Weathering crack -
Attachment 2358622
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:00   #712
Senior - BHPian

I have only just come across this thread for Continental tyres.
I would like to share my experience with the sheer levels of satisfaction I have had with them over the past year of usage.

Continental tyres-img_6746.jpg

After some online research and asking people around I changed the tyres on my then 9 years old Swift stock MRFs, which were used for 9 years straight! across some 47k kms, with Continental tyres.
Although, I was advised to get Michelins for an even more superior ride comfort and lower noise at the time of purchase however, I was unable to find Michelins in the Swift stock size of 165. So Conti's it was

Continental tyres-img_6783.jpg

Continental tyres-img_6829.jpg

Immediately I felt the superior grip levels and reduced noise, the significantly improved grip levels must also have to do with the fact that I had till that point only experienced my 9 years old well hardened tyres and these freshly baked(October 2021 the dealer told me) were perhaps that much more impressive than perhaps they otherwise would have been.

Over the next few months I drove these on long highway runs and city routes to great satisfaction, then came one fine afternoon and the Continental's ultimate test.
I had parked my car in an adjacent lane to a restaurant I went to lunch for, outside of one of these very old Ground +2/3 floor buildings. When I came back I found my tyres completely deflated. Front and Back.

Continental tyres-img_0890.jpg

Most likely one of the residents of the buildings did not like me parking outside their building even though its a public parking wasn't anywhere near their gate but hey whatever : /
I was at the restaurant for a little over an hour and presumably a good amount of that time the car sat like this completely deflated rim on tyre and then another hour and a half it took me to get a tyre repair person to come and fix my tyres and check for punctures. That is about two hours atleast that the entire car sat on one side, both front and back completely deflated by the satan worshipper, on tyres with not a breath of air/padding in them. The Continentals had zero puncture and only had to be refilled with air.
They had told me Conti's are significantly more durable than Michelins but this episode truly put the tyres durability credentials to the test. After this episode I am very happy I went Continentals over Michelines and would happily recommend these to anyone for 'typical' Indian road conditions.
Maky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 21:39   #713
BHPian

Quote:

What the dealer said is utterly nonsense
I own an Ignis Alpha since last February, and since the day I got the car delivered to my home from the showroom at 25 odd Kms, i changed the tyres to Conti UC6 185/65 R15 and have had no issues till date. Zero ballooning as whoever has told you. The ride quality of the Ignis is not supple due to the stiffer suspension set up it has. But with the UC6 in the above mentioned numbers, I have much better traction , wet grip has been a boon to me, till date zero puncture,and I am happy like anything.
I was a Michelin guy in all my cars since 2008, but since i bought the Ignis Alpha in Feb 2022, there was option of Michelin only which were manufactured in 2019. I wasn't prepared for old stock.
Asked our resident tyre experts kpzen and Nikhil and they also suggested Conti UC6 and till date I am more than happy.

Now its up to you
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 22:39   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
What the dealer said is utterly nonsense : Zero ballooning as whoever has told you.
No, he isn't talking about the ballooning of the side walls. He says UC6 are meant for bigger SUVs, and CC6 are meant for cars like the Ignis. When I pointed out to him that the website recommends the other way around, he says, "unfortunately, what's mentioned in the website is wrong info".
Old 9th January 2023, 07:02   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, he isn't talking about the ballooning of the side walls. He says UC6 are meant for bigger SUVs, and CC6 are meant for cars like the Ignis. When I pointed out to him that the website recommends the other way around, he says, "unfortunately, what's mentioned in the website is wrong info".
I guess margins for UC6 is lesser than that of CC6. That's the only reasonable explanation. I don't understand why a dealer would recommend one product when the customer insists on another. Stick to your option or go to another dealer.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 08:15   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I guess margins for UC6 is lesser than that of CC6. That's the only reasonable explanation. I don't understand why a dealer would recommend one product when the customer insists on another. Stick to your option or go to another dealer.
I understand when dealers recommend products that give them more margins, but how can they make false claims, even claiming that the brand's website is wrong? I've been buying tires from this dealer for years.
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 14:35   #717
BHPian

^^
I own an Ignis with UC6(195/60 R 15) and have driven 15k kms on it. The balooning effect mentioned in the ignis ownership thread is for 195/60 R15 and not for 185/65 R15. This is because the stock rim size is 5J, which is best suited upto 185 section. If you are getting a 185/65 R15 UC you can go for it without worrying about the balooning effect. With CC6, you get better comfort but slightly lesser wet grip if you go by the positioning and reviews.

I took a risk to run 195/60 on 5J rims and haven't found any issues till date with the grip/handling except that there is a visual perception of balooning.

Quote:
I understand when dealers recommend products that give them more margins, but how can they make false claims, even claiming that the brand's website is wrong? I've been buying tires from this dealer for years.
It could be margin issues or even availability issues. For e.g. UC6 was available only for 195 and above when I bought my car and 195 sizes were not typical stock size for small cars like ignis.

Dealers/ Service advisors are not always right. I know two highly respected FNG garage owners who adviced wrongly on engine oil specifications and don't even understand what an SAE specifications on oil grades like OW20 or 5W40 means. They even contested the fact that car manufacturers recommend lower SAE grade oil these days as the newer engines are low friction one and state it is all humbug with the actual reason is to ensure better mileage.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 14th January 2023 at 14:49.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 10:54   #718
BHPian

For 5J rims, one can go to 185/65 R15 with eyes closed, like Sridhar K said , and 195 would be one's personal choice without increasing rim size.
But saying, as a dealer, that UC6 is meant for bigger SUVs is nothing but a joke !

Better you search around for a reasonably honest dealer
Old 2nd February 2023, 00:21   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Hi,
I own Skoda Rapid 1.6TDi (2014). The stock tire size is 185/60 R15 84H and the car had come with Apollo Alnac 4G. Changed it to Michelin Energy XM2 in 2017. Now the car has done just over a lakh kms and I am looking for new tires. Did some research and now I am stuck with few options and need recommendations.

Shortlisted Tires
  1. Bridgestone Turanza ER300 - Heard no stocks for my tire size
  2. Micheline XM2+ - Good reviews and being a current Michelin user, I know it is a comfortable tire
  3. Been hearing good reviews about the following 3 tires lately.
  • Continental CC5 - Have my stock size in this
  • Continental CC6 - Heard it is more silent and advanced. Speed and load rating difference is there, but it is fine. (185/60 R15 88T)
  • Continental UC6 - This seems to be a balanced one, but size is not available. Need to upgrade to 185/65 R15. Is it advisable to upgrade to this size? What are merits and demerits?
Hey narsi_6989,
Did you go ahead with the change ? If yes mind sharing which product did you get installed and the review as well ?

I am on the lookout for the right set of tires for my 2021 Rapid Ambition (the same profile as yours, 185/60 R15) and plan to keep the same profile as of now but I am not getting good options at the moment.

My stock tires, GY Duraplus have already given up, being rock hard and even after Balancing + Rotation + Alignment the ride quality has become outright shitty. Plus one of the tire has got a sidewall bulge (Though I ran it with the bulge for 8K).

Options I am getting right now:

1. Bridgestone Turanza ER300 -- Available with few shops only. Not many reviews available and some say they become hard.
2. Continental CC6 -- Speed rating is T as opposed to current H. Plus they are entry level tires.
3. Yokohama BluearthGT AE51 -- Have heard on the forum for being hard and noisy.
4. Vredstein Ultrac -- Not much reviews available.

My priority is medium soft (More towards soft), least noise as possible with balanced handling. Tyre life is not a concern here. I drive mostly highways with some city.

P.S. Initially I wanted Michelin but found that they are hardly available with latest manufacturing anywhere in India.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 2nd February 2023 at 00:23. Reason: Adding more information
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:35   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
2. Continental CC6 -- Speed rating is T as opposed to current H. Plus they are entry level tires.
3. Yokohama BluearthGT AE51 -- Have heard on the forum for being hard and noisy.
4. Vredstein Ultrac -- Not much reviews available.

My priority is medium soft (More towards soft), least noise as possible with balanced handling. Tyre life is not a concern here. I drive mostly highways with some city.
Hello

I think you are mixing Yoko BluEarths with their Earth1. Earth1 is a high life focused product with a hard compound while BluEarth is a low noise and comfort focused product. You can go with any of the 3 options above. Vredestein is in the market for slightly over 2 years now and I’ve heard some good experiences - and there are some reviews here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...res-india.html (Apollo Tyres to manufacture high-performance Vredestein tyres in India)

If you’re inclined to upsize and go for one of 185/65R15 or 195/60R15, you can even go for the Conti UC6s which is very popular on this forum. The talker sidewall on these sizes will also improve comfort.

Most Viewed