Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 00:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Manu - Karol Bagh is a tricky place to shop primarily because of the cut throat competition which usually leads to dealers abandoning all ethics & resorting to any means to sell their stuff.

Part of the reason why I never shop there. I would rather pay a bit more & get better service and a product that I'm fully convinced about the legitimacy of.

Last edited by iraghava : 9th February 2010 at 00:50.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:37   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

195/55 R15 is finally available with Continental. They are bringing in the CPC2. Priced around 4700/- or so.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:18   #108
Senior - BHPian

WoW! Thats awesome news Nikhil. I have been spending too many efforts trying to import the Continental

Now, let me rip off the NCT5 on the track day
Old 15th February 2010, 15:37   #109
Senior - BHPian

This is good news, but why would Continental do this from a business POV? This size is available as stock in only one variant of one car and it does not appear to be a popular up-size option for other cars as well.

anachronix: Track day is only 3 weeks away dude. When are you getting the new tires?

Last edited by Gilead : 15th February 2010 at 15:40.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

Might be this weekend in Bangalore!
Old 6th May 2010, 17:03   #111
BHPian

hi,
im posting in this thread since it's all about continental tyres. let me know if it needs to be moved please!
--
We have an S320 which came with conti SportContact2 as stock. about a year down the line one of the tyres (rear left) developed a bulge. we sent the car to the mercedes dealer in Pune (B.U. bhandari) who slipped on the spare wheel and said he'd check with the company what needs to be done.
nothing happened for about 6 months and now a second tyre has developed a similar bulge.
the dealer is refusing to do anything and has advised (rather compelling us) to purchase 2 new tyres.
after a lot of arguments, he is saying that the bulges are being caused due to the vehicle being parked and not frequently used! therefore not covered under warranty.

we use this vehicle mainly for long travel only and as such she's clocked about only 15k on last 18+ months.
is this true? and any idea what are causes of the bulge?

i'm additionally worried about whether this is an issue with conti? so should i replace the whole set on the car with something else incase i don't get warranty?

also I was advised on TBHP to put on ContiPremiumContact2 as a replacement for stock RFT on my 320i. so i just wanted to be doubly sure.

PS. i've not had time to go to the dealer myself and only the drivers have been frequenting, so im assuming he's just blowing them off. i just want to be sure of the things so that when i do go, i know what i'm talking about.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:01   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

ContiSportContact is a soft tyre. It has been known to have problems on Indian roads.

The sidewall bulge is due to an impact damage. Not at all related to you parking your car for a long time!!

Get the Conti CPC2. They are much more rugged.
Old 7th May 2010, 12:36   #113
BHPian

thanks nikhil. so what your'e saying is I should replace *all* the tyres to CPC2 on the s320 & same for the 320i.
what's the second option? I'm having a hard time finding CPC2 in Pune - only 1 dealer has given me CPC2 pricing that too no stock only back order (Rs. 8750 for 225/50/R16). he's pushing hard on Michelin PS3, though i'm not too sure about that!
Old 7th May 2010, 17:33   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

The PS3 would be a stunning purchase!! I would go for that only. CPC2 stocks are a problem right now. If they dont have it in stock, then it will take time.

However, do go for the PS3 in 225/50 R16. It should be superb tyre.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:04   #115
BHPian

great Nikhil many thanks! i was waiting online with this page open waiting for your reply since i last posted i planned to get the change done this evening for the 320i
what should be a good price for the PS3?
Old 19th June 2010, 23:07   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
WoW! Thats awesome news Nikhil. I have been spending too many efforts trying to import the Continental

Now, let me rip off the NCT5 on the track day
Anachronix,

I guess you have the CPC2s in your Fiesta now. I'm looking to upgrade my stock Fiesta 14" wheels to 15". Can you please share your views on the CPC2s along with the price?
Old 21st June 2010, 20:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Anachronix,

I guess you have the CPC2s in your Fiesta now. I'm looking to upgrade my stock Fiesta 14" wheels to 15". Can you please share your views on the CPC2s along with the price?
@ Kiku

The CPC2 is probably the best set of tires that are available in the market for that price!

(+) The grip levels are awesome. The S has become more capable with the CPC2 at higher speeds. High speed cornering has become more fun.
(+) The tires are just brilliant in the rain.
(+) The tread pattern gives you an awesome feeling.
(-) The tires are relatively noisy compared to competition. Not as bad as the Goodyear, but they are slightly noisy! This might be one area where they lose to the Michelins.
(-) Procuring the CPC2 in 195/55 R15 might be a challenge. I had to wait for nearly a month. I would leave this part for Nikhil to comment on the availability of the CPC2.

(*) Braking effeciency has improved. But, I am unable to rate it since I feel the improvement to be marginal. May be because of the ABS?
(*) Are you planning on the 1.6S type body kits as well for your Fiesta?
(*) The ride quality might suffer a little though your handling would improve a lot.
(*) You might find the steering to be a bit tight and you will notice this majorly when you are taking a U turn or full turn. That is how it is in the S atleast!

I am waiting for a track day for the real test of these tires
Old 21st June 2010, 20:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Anachronix,

Handling and grip will improve but ride quality will get worse. The S has a different steering rack to accomodate 15 inch wheels so that it's easier to operate while providing great feedback. Steering will become heavier than normal if you run 15 inches on the normal rack. You should probably check out Bakiya's Fiesta to see how it feels. He is running 205/55/15 I think.

Quote:
Why didn't you come for the JK race yesterday? We had a mini track day on the NH itself.

Last edited by Gilead : 21st June 2010 at 20:36.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:08   #119
Senior - BHPian

My cousin has taken my car again to Bangalore & I was driving around with the Tavera on A-Drives. You know what I could have done on the NH with the Tavera
Old 21st June 2010, 22:10   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@ Kiku

The CPC2 is probably the best set of tires that are available in the market for that price!

(*) Are you planning on the 1.6S type body kits as well for your Fiesta?
(*) The ride quality might suffer a little though your handling would improve a lot.
(*) You might find the steering to be a bit tight and you will notice this majorly when you are taking a U turn or full turn. That is how it is in the S atleast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Handling and grip will improve but ride quality will get worse. The S has a different steering rack to accomodate 15 inch wheels so that it's easier to operate while providing great feedback. Steering will become heavier than normal if you run 15 inches on the normal rack. You should probably check out Bakiya's Fiesta to see how it feels. He is running 205/55/15 I think.
Thanks a lot for the advice guys

1. The 1.6S Body Kit has hit a roadblock due to internal and external factors:(
2. I searched for some good aftermarket alloy wheel designs and roadblock there as well. The ones I like don't come in the not common 108 PCD
3. I find the ride quality of my stock 1.6 ZXi to be pathetic. The car throws me around over bumps, potholes and speed breakers. I'll check the suspension in the 2nd service sometime soon and then have a demo on ur 'S's.
4. Steering feedback - Becoming harder is not a problem. Anyone complaining at home will be given the keys of the spark! But anyways we'll also need a demo on Mr.Bakiya's Fiesta.

Now, all this calls for a Chennai Meet (Race Track or just about anywhere) with a bunch of Fiestas for sure so that I have my share of demos. Does it sound selfish?

Most Viewed