Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Tyres - Downsizing

Does Downsizing the Aspect Ratio - in the OE tyres, make any negative effects ?
What will be the other noticeable handling effects in downsizing the tyres, keeping the width the same as OE ?

I have a Contessa 1.8GL which runs on 175/80R13 tyres - OE size on the rear wheels. the front tyres have been changed to 175/70R13 size, which reduces the sidewall height by 17.5mm; Overall diameter by 35mm; and the circumference by 110mm, ie by nearly 11 cm. see the attached picture for more specific details.

my doubts :
1. Does having different aspect ratio tyres - in front and rear, have any negative handling aspects in the car ? Gurus, please advise ...

2. Does changing the tyre size from 80 aspect to 70 aspect, make any handling problems ?

3. can i have 175/70R13 on front and 175/80R13 on the rear tyres ? what will be the effects in speedo readings and also in the handling ?

4. lastly can i change the front tyres to 175/70R13 and the rear tyres to 185/70R13 sizes ? will this make any handling problems ? i feel that as the conti, is a rear wheel drive car, the rear tyres should be more broader to have a good grip. is my assumptions correct ?

i already feel that the car scrapes some speed breakers, which it crossed freely on OE tyre size. Bit apart from this little reduction in the ground clearance, the car feels superb, more grippier, more light on the steering, and the braking also spot on.
on rough roads, the car feels slightly less comfortable, but on highways, the car simply glides ... as though on air suspension. on sharp turns, the car feels more sharper, more grippier in handling aspects.

Gurus, please advise me on this downsizing aspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyres - Downsizing-tyre-size.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks