Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2008, 06:12   #16
BHPian

Replacement Alloys for Chevy Optra Magnum LS

In an encounter with a piece of stone on a highway, we had a tire blowout on my Chevy Optra Magnum LS which caused a significant dent to the alloy wheel.

Need to know
1. If alloy wheels can be repaired?
2. Can I get a single OEM Alloy or do I need to buy the set of 4. As far as I know, the spare is a pressed steel wheel.

The car is in Jamshedpur FWIW.

Thanks.

Note from Mods: Asifgrkhan, we've merged your thread here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th October 2008 at 10:23.
Old 5th October 2008, 10:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

NOTE FROM MODS: Thread name changed. It'll be easy for everybody to put up their problems and solutions here.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Asif:

1. Depends on the extent of damage. Pics of the wheel would help in assessing the same.
2. Yes, single pieces are available from the dealer.
Old 5th October 2008, 17:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod :

Lets stick to repairing only physical damage in this thread.

For cosmetic damage please use this existing thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-chroming.html

Thanks,
R
Old 6th October 2008, 19:01   #20
BHPian

My car too used to wobble a lot at 80kmph. Visited a balancing shop and found that one of the alloy is a bit oval.

Would repairing an alloy retain its endurance as I drive on highways with car full with 5 passengers and luggage?
Old 8th October 2008, 22:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

had damaged an alloy once too. not too drastic of a bend though and definitely wasn't oval in shape. My "alloywalla" repaired it in a couple of days. didn't have a problem after that and did a lot of bombay - pune trips at high speeds.
as a rule i don't let five people in the car for long distance traveling. four is the max.
However, if you still feel little vibrations, put the damaged alloy in the rear set of wheels, it'll reduce the vibrations drastically.
Old 9th October 2008, 00:38   #22
BHPian

I got my Palio's damaged wheel back. Its working fine.

Sadpart it that I had to replace the Tyre. Tyre got puncterd on side wall. Had to shed out 3K :(
Old 25th September 2018, 14:25   #23
BHPian

Re: Physically Damaged Alloy Wheels and solutions

Hello Team,
Last month, I had to make 2 long road trips (Pune-Amravati-Pune-Amravati-Pune) in new Gen Hyundai Xcent SX. The road after Aurangabad towards Amravati are not in excellent condition & the night driving made it even worse.
Car took couple of hard bumps on village roads. However, after each thud, I religiously stopped to check if there is any damage to tyre/alloy. Car took it nicely.
However, yesterday took my Xcent for 2nd servicing at Garve Hyundai Wakad, Pune & during wheel rotation, understood that, the front left alloy is bit damaged. Please see attached photo. The Hyundai service advisor suggested 2 options:
1. Claim insurance for alloy + tyre (I have Zero Dep. insurance from ICICI Lombard).
2. Get the wheel repaired from outside.
3. As the wheel is now placed at backside, run the car as it is & keep an eye if it aggravates.
A single alloy 14 inch costs Rs.9000 at Hyundai & tyre would be around 5k.
I guess, tyre will not be covered under insurance. So, I have to shell out atleast 2k to get it covered under insurance.

I'm not sure, whether I should get it repaired from outside or change it through my insurance ?
Do I need to change the tyre as well ? As it may start getting ballooning overtime at the affected area ?
Or I should run on this & keep a check, if it aggravates?

Physically Damaged Alloy Wheels and solutions-alloydamage.jpg
Please suggest.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th September 2018 at 14:33.
Old 25th September 2018, 14:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
The Hyundai service advisor suggested 2 options:
1. Claim insurance for alloy + tyre (I have Zero Dep. insurance from ICICI Lombard).

A single alloy 14 inch costs Rs.9000 at Hyundai & tyre would be around 5k.
I guess, tyre will not be covered under insurance. So, I have to shell out atleast 2k to get it covered under insurance.
Is there an air leak from the tire ? Or is the air sustained at filled pressure?

If the air is sustained at filled pressure, then, I do not see a need to change the tire(Unless it is due for change due to Kms run)

And, if the air is sustained at filled pressure, then, it implies the impact on the alloy is not big. So, you can still get it rectified from outside. There are good professionals who repair the alloy.

But, the above is not advisable if you are repeatedly doing such trips with damage to alloys. Better to change the alloy alone.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:46   #25
BHPian

Thanks gkveda.
Tyres run 7500 KM so far. So, quite new.
They are holding up air pressure very well. No leaks at all. I have rotated this wheel to back right side, instead of back-left, just to protect it more
But, I'm afraid, sooner or later, the rubber will balloon at the area.
I do not have any previous experience with alloy damaged, hence confused.
Old 25th September 2018, 14:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks gkveda.
Tyres run 7500 KM so far. So, quite new.
They are holding up air pressure very well. No leaks at all. I have rotated this wheel to back right side, instead of back-left, just to protect it more
But, I'm afraid, sooner or later, the rubber will balloon at the area.
I do not have any previous experience with alloy damaged, hence confused.
Currently, Do you have spare also an alloy wheel? if Yes,
My suggestion would be to repair the damaged alloy wheel and keep as spare. start using the spare alloy as main wheel.

Repaired alloy wheels serve well and is common. Not a major issue in my opinion.

For tire, do an experiment by overfilling the air to 60 PSI. If there is no bulge, then, the tire is absolutely fine. If there is a bulge, probably, you can look at changing the same
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 13:41   #27

Quote:

I'm not sure, whether I should get it repaired from outside or change it through my insurance ?
Do I need to change the tyre as well ? As it may start getting ballooning overtime at the affected area ?
Or I should run on this & keep a check, if it aggravates?

Attachment 1801995
Please suggest.
Hi Dev,

I have been through a similar situation in the past. The alloy was bent and significant air pressure loss was experienced.

Went through tbhp and based on a previous thread understood that replacement is not required and a repair should fix the issue.

Got the bent removed, the place had a alloy bend removal machine, process was automated. Cost me Rs. 600 and tyre has had no issues for the past 25 K Kms, have not used the tyre as spare, been rotating all 5 tyres. The job was done in Bangalore.

Based on my experience i would recommend getting bend removed instead of replacement.

Cheers!!
Gausum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 12:37   #28
BHPian

I'm planning to get Momo alloys for my GT TSI, and have a question to ask whose answer will ensure that I don't have to post on this thread later.

Is a delicate design like Rush more prone to bending than a sturdy one like the Hyperstar EVO? I drive in Mumbai, and the condition of the roads is such that unless you always drive below 20 kmph, the chances of hitting a pothole are pretty high.

Note: Images are from the Sai Mag Wheels website.
Attached Thumbnails
Physically Damaged Alloy Wheels and solutions-578578design3.jpg  

Physically Damaged Alloy Wheels and solutions-589589design1.jpg  

Old 29th September 2018, 16:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A damaged alloy, unless properly repaired, will keep taking more and more impact - on one of your long drives, it will suddenly lose air pressure. I am not an expert in this matter, but from experience I can tell you that this damage looks bad. Most alloy repairers use heat to repair, which means to say that your wheel will be more brittle. If you intend to do long drives in the night, buy peace of mind, buy new alloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I'm planning to get Momo alloys for my GT TSI, and have a question to ask whose answer will ensure that I don't have to post on this thread later.
Momo alloys are quite strong and do well in our conditions. I think the stock wheels are 15" - the key lies in understanding if you're upsizing the wheel and going for low profile tyres - which aesthetically you should as the stock tyres on these wheels will look bleh. But if you upsize to a size or two bigger, it may be a concern on bad roads. You will start seeing your wheels develop bends in big potholes and if you're careless, cracks. Also, bubbles on tyres are common when you abuse low profile tyres. My two cents - if you upsize, stick to a softer sidewall tyre like MC5 or P3ST; performance tyres with hard sidewalls only add to the agony.
rocksterraghu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 14:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I think the stock wheels are 15" - the key lies in understanding if you're upsizing the wheel and going for low profile tyres - which aesthetically you should as the stock tyres on these wheels will look bleh.
Thank you for your feedback on the MOMOs.

I have to choose practicality over aesthetic appeal. Given that my car will probably never see the track, low profile upsized tires are of no practical use to me. And less said about the Mumbai roads, the better. I'm currently running the Michelin PS3T 195/60 R15. Pretty happy with the choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks