Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 16:25   #1
RAC
BHPian

Advice: OEM alloys for Bolero

Friends
I am planning to book a Balero for my wife. Please advice on the alloys.
I do not wish to go in for an upsize. The standard size is 215/75 R15. We have checked out the OEM Mahindra 15” alloys and they looked good. The price quoted by them was 25,500.00 for 5 rims. I think I can bargain them down to 24,000.00.

Now I need to know:
1) Is this a good price for OEM alloys. How much do a set of 15” alloys cost from the aftermarket (Bangalore).

2) Any idea on who is the manufacturer of the Mahindra OEM alloys.

3) Any advice on the type of wheel bolts to be used which are probably more theft deterrent than others (IMPORTANT)

4) I am also scared about the stepney (alloy) mounted on the 5th door (dikky). How easily can it to be whacked / stolen. The Bolero will be parked outside the gate. No space inside (IMPORTANT)

I am confused and scared and more so since the steel wheel rims with the full wheel covers (plastic and OEM) also look THUD and good.
Agreed that alloys have their merits, but as I mentioned that the vehicle will be parked in an open space, I am a little worried on the security of the wheels.
Old 13th October 2008, 22:59   #2
BHPian

you can go for after market alloys. for the 15" it will cost you anywhere b\w 20k to 25k you have a wide range to choose from - league, plati, HR etc are the brands available.

regarding the spare one of the bolts has an option to put a pad lock on that so i dont think there should be a problem in regards to theft.

I just have one question for you. why is that you are buying such a heavy vechile for your wife instead of a sedan? are you buying the bolero crde or the DI turbo?
Old 14th October 2008, 15:11   #3
RAC
BHPian

Calling out to resident tyre gurus and other members, please pour in your suggestions/advice. Point no 3 and 4 are worrying me.
We will be taking delivery in less than 2 weeks (hopefully).

@hemanth - long story, but shorter version:

The BOSS (read wife) approved the cars as below:

Starting budget - 4.5 lakhs - Indigo CS (petrol or TDI)
Budged upped - Logan petrol

Somewhere inbetween came the Swift, but was quicky negated by me for rear seat space, which was an important criteria for us. Getz also had a flying mention. Palio was discussed the longest :-)))))

Then suddenly she decided to test drive the Bolero. This was the only vehicle she has ever yearned for, for a few years now. She already liked the vehicle and was happy with the test drive. The contenders now were Palio and Bolero. We upped the budget from 4.5 to 7 lakhs for this. Opting for the DI turbo.

She has taken to test drives and was so comfortable with this vehicle. We had absolutely no problem moving from smaller cars to this MUV. It is just incredible how easy it is to drive. If you know what i am talking about, we sometimes find a new or bigger car difficult to adjust to the first time we use the vehicle. You know, getting used to the clutch, accelerator, etc. No problems here.

The deal is getting closed soon.
Old 14th October 2008, 17:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check with a few shops in Bangalore for alloy prices, that should give you a good idea. As for the nuts, I don't think locking nuts are available in the after market but again, asking a tyre shop would be the best idea.

And for the stepney, the solution is simple, buy only 4 alloys!
Old 18th October 2008, 11:02   #5
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
And for the stepney, the solution is simple, buy only 4 alloys!
So if i buy only 4 alloys and retain the steel rim for the stepney (mounted on the rear door), what happens if there is a puncture.

Do you think it is safe to run on 3 alloys and 1 steel rim in the event of a puncture (obviously the puncture to be repaired at the earliest and re-fitted)
Old 19th October 2008, 06:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
So if i buy only 4 alloys and retain the steel rim for the stepney (mounted on the rear door), what happens if there is a puncture.

Do you think it is safe to run on 3 alloys and 1 steel rim in the event of a puncture (obviously the puncture to be repaired at the earliest and re-fitted)
The stepney wouldn't be an issue if its on the rear axle.
If on the front, it might tend to pull on one side.
But, I'm sure you would be sensible enough to drive at sane,sedate speeds with the spare on.
Old 19th October 2008, 12:18   #7
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for after market alloys instead of OEM alloys from mahindra. Try out the League alloys ...I used to have the league 17" on my Bolero, the only problem i faced during rainy days was that i could never drive w/o the windows up. You may want to try out the 15" itself.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:29   #8
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The stepney wouldn't be an issue if its on the rear axle.
If on the front, it might tend to pull on one side.
But, I'm sure you would be sensible enough to drive at sane,sedate speeds with the spare on.
@nitrous - Thanks. This is a great piece of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
I would suggest you to go for after market alloys instead of OEM alloys from mahindra. Try out the League alloys ...I used to have the league 17" on my Bolero, the only problem i faced during rainy days was that i could never drive w/o the windows up. You may want to try out the 15" itself.
@jango - I do not wish to upsize since I plan to use the same tyres. And am more inclined to the OEM for the 'Mahindra centre hub cab type thingy for the alloys'.
Anyway I am thinking of dumping this decision to my wife since this is for her :-)
Old 20th October 2008, 11:38   #9
BHPian

The Mahindra OEM alloys don't look good. Go for after market stuff. Aura / HR and others have good designs. I've the Aura B1560 15" on mine. These alloys have a small negative offset which makes the stance wider.

I got a set of 5 alloys for 22K from MV Enterprises (Aura distributor) , near JC Road last year. You can get the contact details from Aura web site.

To see how this alloy looks on a Bolero and other discussions, please visit the following.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...vely-jeep.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...el-bolero.html
Mahindra Bolero GLX 2002 Chaxy's Garage - chaxy's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

While Chaxy's alloy may not be an Aura, the design is exactly the same.

Also, regarding the spare wheel, you have to keep it locked anyway, be it alloy or steel. You can get a set of wheel locking nuts for approx 1200/- from JC Road shops. They don't lock anything, its just that they need an allen key to open.
With the alloy, you cannot use the spare wheel cover. I'd suggest to go for a set of 5 since you can do tyre rotation easily during service.

Hope this helps.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:25   #10
BHPian

@RAC

I too would not suggest OEM alloys, they are a bit dull. You can either go for the tried and tested AURA BS1560 (Aura site), but then again, its way too common.

Else like others have suggested go for Leauge or Plati.

BS1560 costs about 23K at the dealer about 22K outside. You can get it from any of the tyre shops.

And about keeping the alloys safe, do you think a good ol 7 leaver lock can do the trick. Yeah, it might stand out a bit, but it is a deterent. Get one of those chrome ones, it shouldnt be that bad.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:47   #11
RAC
BHPian

Text inline and in bold

Quote:
Friends
I am planning to book a Balero for my wife. Please advice on the alloys.

4) I am also scared about the stepney (alloy) mounted on the 5th door (dikky). How easily can it to be whacked / stolen. The Bolero will be parked outside the gate. No space inside (IMPORTANT)
And it happened. The stepney got stolen. :-(
Luckily, i have not purchased alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
regarding the spare one of the bolts has an option to put a pad lock on that so i dont think there should be a problem in regards to theft.

This did not work, The thieves broke open the padlock and ......
I want to buy the spare wheel. Now I am thinking to somehow putting a padlock and then a chain and somehow tie it around the mounting assembly. Any other stepney theft deterrent ideas. Please advice.
Old 17th February 2009, 21:42   #12
BHPian

Another thing i noticed is, even if you lock the spare wheel, the entire mounting can be removed by removing 4 (or more) bolts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

:(
Old 17th February 2009, 23:53   #13
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Another thing i noticed is, even if you lock the spare wheel, the entire mounting can be removed by removing 4 (or more) bolts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Correct my friend. Any bad incidents at your end or that you know of on this topic?
Old 18th February 2009, 00:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Correct my friend. Any bad incidents at your end or that you know of on this topic?
Nothing of that sort. I just happened to notice it yesterday.

Old 18th February 2009, 14:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

So, which alloys did you buy finally?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks