Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 23:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Actually the sn@k3 was slinging mud at the S-Drives... not the GIII.
No, both of them actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Haha, looks like you've got a serious grudge against the GIIIs.
You could say that. Overpriced overrated. I'd understand if they were cheaper, but no, I remember a time where grey market AD07s were about the same price as G-IIIs. BS makes some excellent tyres -- the Pole Position series comes to mind -- but they feed us some real BS here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
The GIII arent that bad at all the way its portrayed here, infact its good enough, I have used/abused these tyres on my current ride & my earlier ikon and can vouch for that.
Like Mcl said, until you've used better stuff, there's no comparing. I thought G-IIIs were the stuff until I used Hankooks and ES100s, which were better. They were, in turn, eclipsed by Dunlop SP9000s, and then Michelins, all to be eaten alive by AD07s.
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse the AD 07 is an extreme performance summer tyre. BS will have to launch the Potenza RE-01R to beat that.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R

Wish i could get my VTEC+GIIIs for a track day to see how they hold up during a 30 min stint of hard driving.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Ofcourse the AD 07 is an extreme performance summer tyre. BS will have to launch the Potenza RE-01R to beat that.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R
But they won't and that's the point. All over Asia, the G-IIIs have been replaced by the Adrenalin RE 001, but has BS introduced them in India? Nope. What they've done instead is to shift their G-III moulds to India, so they can continue to produce them here, and make an even higher profit, courtesy a lack of import duties. So you can forget about them selling any better tyres here.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:46   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Guys, I think we all need to take a chill pill and look at the bigger perspective here. The motive of this thread is to bring to notice the "possible" inability of the S-drives to perform to the best of their abilities when driven hard consistently on a car like the Elantra.

This is NOT A "I shall stick up for the manufacturer whose tire I purchased for my car thread". Kindly refrain from making this thread that has been put up to warn everyone into a tire manufacturer bashing thread. We have had enough wars on various cars, lets not do the same with tire manufac's as well.
mclaren1885 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Surprising that vikram and iceman havent posted their experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well I have a very good reason for spending that much extra money on Michelin MXV8s for my own Swift VDi.
Spending money.. you? On tyres!!! Liar

Sorry for the O/T
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:14   #81
Team-BHP Support

lol. Rahul, I'm not sticking up for Yokohama at all. I have MRF's on my car.
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:26   #82
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Rahul, all one has to do is take the 2 cars a day before to a tyre shop. Get the tyres swapped in 10minutes. Then next day go for your drive. After the drive come to a conclusion and replace the S-drives.

It will be for the benefit of members as well as remove all doubts.

I know it's not worth risking it for the sake of testing but it will be helpful to everyone in the future.
Viddy, judging by the recent turn around of events, I highly doubt Tadu is going to stick on to those set of S.Drives and risk his life with it. So inevitably we all will see a set of PP2's or something better on his car in the coming days. And the review shall definitely be put up here.

The point I was trying to make is, some people here wanted to have a detailed analysis of both the tires back to back on the same drive and on different cars. Thats impossible. Thats the only point I was trying to make.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:27   #83
Team-BHP Support

Please dont risk car and life for reviews, and let Tadu move on with his choice of tyres.

My personal opinion, there is more than tyres to all these issues, ie If the lot that he has is NOT defective.

and Tadu: why so faaaaaaast?
Old 24th October 2008, 10:19   #84
BHPian

Solved.

Running a set of PP2s now, and needless to say, I no longer have any braking, or other grip issues. Car is just as good as it was before.

I got a good offer for the tires from a dealer, and had to let go quickly. Probably not the coolest thing to do, but I got most of my money back.

Sorry about not being able to do any further test etc. Had left messages with friends to find somebody willing to resell the tires, and the call came yesterday evening, before the weekend when I was planning to do some more "testing".
Old 24th October 2008, 10:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the PP2 club . I assume these are 205/60 R15? How much do they cost now? Heard the prices went up drastically of late.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th October 2008 at 10:27.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:14   #86
Team-BHP Support

Awesome Tadu. I guess there was no need of testing since the PP2's solved the problem. Clearly indicates that the Elantra and S.drive combination does not work.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Welcome to the PP2 club . I assume these are 205/60 R15? How much do they cost now? Heard the prices went up drastically of late.
Yes, 205/60/15 it is. And the tires are a sparingly used set, courtesy a good friend.

Guess new PP2s are around 6,700 now?
Old 24th October 2008, 11:50   #88
BHPian

Good going Tadu. Didn't need to do tests on 2 sets of tyres to identify the problem did you now! All I can say for everyone else on the road now is "Watch out!!" Cheers man.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:00   #89
BHPian

Good review Tadu!

I have this same size and type of tyres on my Swift.
(1) I too have faced all above issues with my set. It easily looses traction during hard accelaration especially (very very easily) when on dirt/gravel surface.

(2) & (3) Perfromance of this tyre is really scary above 150 km/hr! I had a really really scary braking experience once in the L&T highway coimbatore last month when I wanted to slowdown from 155+ km/hr!! It was just not proper and shook my confidence drastically! But then I thought there must be some other reason for such an incident. Your post confirms its something related to the tyre itself.
I tried brakes at below140km/hr and it was juz bliss!

(4) Performance on wet surface is anyway great and confidence inspring as far as the speed is below 120 km/hr. I cudn't try anymore as such open roads are rare in my city. But then I doubt its behaviour on wet roads above 140 km/hr!

Very usefull piece of review there Tadu... keep it up! cheers!

Last edited by nikkibike : 24th October 2008 at 12:02.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:30   #90
BHPian

has anyone here cared to check how and where the testing of these tyres have taken place!

i am familiar with the tyre compromises made for traction and lasting.

its simple. more lasting less grip !
more gri[p less lasting,

the heat generation is dependent on the material used AND THE ROAD ALSO!!

the indian wheather condition down south is more humid in kerala and more hot in Tamil nadu. so here also there are changes which can adversely affect the tyres.
the Speed rating comes into play only when the threshold speed usually max-30kmph to max limit is maintained for more than 30 seconds!! thats the usual time required to heat up the tyre!! but there is a bloody catch here .
the road terrain if concrete( that tyre is in big trouble if it goes into that speed region..reason concrete raod makes the tyres very hot!)

the seaport airport road here in kerala for example is made from rubberised stuff..its inherent problem is less grip but that road will last longer! and less heat is genetrated. !

i have seen some nasty accidents with guys sghowin off since there tyres are low profile and wider and all..( they have a wrong sense of confidence that there car will be more stable etc. etc..true if used logically but low profile tyre and pot holes combo does the opp. throws the vehicle off the track!)

where as in highyways( express) the low profile gives a planted ride and better control also. but they were off fast!!

i have seen the computer generated results( simulation results for use of different tyres and different ride setting!)

trust me when i say this for all tyres the best method is to not cruise for long kms near the speed limit of the tyres. this generates much more heat than that which the tyre can handle!

the express ways are mostly concrete dont pull off such tests!

i had a bad experience.!! the stock MRF on verna ABS are V rated 210kmph!! i did a rockin 200-220kmph in the bypass for a nice while but i never cruised even at 140kmph!! i just reached top whenever i could and then ease off. but all this made the tyres hot and it never gave up..everything is fine..i came into kerala...rain..the tyres got cooled down pretty fast and i started ripping in the rain...front right tyre boom!! it wasnt scaary..i thought i was dead!!!

so stay in limits
peace out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks