Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2008, 13:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Every tyre need a good scrub-in or run-in to ensure optimal performance.
IMO that was 20 years ago. Modern tyre manufacturing technology does not warrant a scrub / run-in procedure. The initial 100 kms run recommended by the dealers is to ensure that the bead seating espcially of the TL tyres are proper and the steel gets aligned properly.

Anyways, we are free to have our opinion, I guess
Old 1st November 2008, 17:30   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Very much. Tyres come out of a mould, like cakes. And like cakes, the mould has a layer of release/non-stick material between itself and the tyre, to ensure they don't stick together. Every tyre need a good scrub-in or run-in to ensure optimal performance.
Hey Akshay, I was trying to find some advice/suggestions etc regarding running in tires from the manufacturers, and Google aint really helping. If this is really as important as we have all thought it is, why is nobody talking "officially" about this? If you can find some links, please post them on the thread...
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:46   #123
Senior - BHPian

Tadu, for you:

Ride it like you stole it!: Motorcycle Tire Mold Release Danger

new tyre -- Yokohama A.drive - Aussie Phorums

Buying A Used Motorbike – Riding Tips – BikePoint Australia
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:59   #124
BHPian

Thanks dude, but these are just like you or me writing, on blogs, forums etc. What I was saying was that, I cant seem to find absolutely no "official" information on this from the manufacturers themselves?
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

No, haven't come across it yet.
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:06   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
..., I was trying to find some advice/suggestions etc regarding running in tires from the manufacturers, and Google aint really helping.
That's because current tyres do NOT need any 'run-in' or special procedures! You're good to go right after fitting a new set.
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:07   #127
Team-BHP Support

Just went to Chenai for dinner and back in my S drive shodded RS. Although i was cruising at 120, I occasionally went up to 150 for 5-10 min and had no problems when braking hard. Also tried launching the car from a toll booth. Wheel spin is minimal. Wife screeched more that the tyres.

Only comment I have is that road noise is high at 120 km/h. I could not listen to my podcasts clearly
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Only comment I have is that road noise is high at 120 km/h. I could not listen to my podcasts clearly
Very high!! Only the neova's have them beat.

Iv done a fair bit of damping and the noise is obvious only when no music is playing. Same setup in my friends car (-) LBM kill and its noisy as hell at high speeds.
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:36   #129
Team-BHP Support

Check tyre bible site i think its mentioned very clearly, and you dont need more proof than car on the edge/jittery while trying to brake from 140 kmph near Krishnagiri, and the same car after 200-300 kms later, acting in a very different manner on the same surface at a very similar time of the day (temperature) and similar distance of total running.

IIRC injection mold has some dyes/silicone which needs to be scrubbed off before tyre reaches optimum grip level, which gives a mild shine on the thread. Which my new Michellins had.

I also didnt belive in all this, till last weekend when i really experienced it! And yes this is my personal experience only :P

Enjoy: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2

Quote:
Running in your new tyres

It may sound like an odd concept, but if you buy brand new tyres and slap them on your car, then try to drive the nuts off it, you're going to come a cropper. The reason, believe it or not, is that all tyres need a running-in (or scrubbing-in) period. When tyres are made, the inside of the tyre mould is first lined with a non-stick coating. When the tyres pop out, some of that releasing agent sticks to the tyres themselves. What you get is a nice shiny new tyre, with 'shiny' being the operative word. The releasing agent can take as much as 500 miles to scrub off. Now for the everyday Joe, this isn't really so much of an issue, but for people who are fast drivers, or think they're fast drivers, this can lead to a distressing loss-of-grip mid-corner and a visit to something large and solid. It's doubly important for motorcyclists because they have half the number of tyres and a much smaller contact patch per tyre to boot.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2008 at 17:38. Reason: link added
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:09   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Also tried launching the car from a toll booth. Wheel spin is minimal. Wife screeched more than the tyres.
LOL!!!

And Ghostrider read Ajmat's post, and found it hilarious. And Ghostrider laughed for ten minutes, and fell behind on his deadlines on a manic Monday!!
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:17   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks dude, but these are just like you or me writing, on blogs, forums etc. What I was saying was that, I cant seem to find absolutely no "official" information on this from the manufacturers themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check tyre bible site i think its mentioned very clearly, and you dont need more proof ...

Enjoy: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2
Never realized car "bibles" is into manufacturing both Michelin and Yokohama.

Please guys, read before posting. I did Google myself, and found these and more links.

What I was saying is - I cannot find a statement from the tire manufacturers about the need for running in of tires.
Old 3rd November 2008, 21:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I was saying is - I cannot find a statement from the tire manufacturers about the need for running in of tires.
Thats cos, AFAIK, there is no need for running in the tyres IMO
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:22   #133
Team-BHP Support

I dont think tyre manufacturer will admit to something like this in the first place, will they???

Thought ill share my experience with you guys thats all. Experts please continue.

Drive safe!
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats cos, AFAIK, there is no need for running in the tyres IMO
Now that you've put your opinion twice. I think it should do.
If you can provide data that says there's no scrub-in needed, it would be nice.

I've experienced the lack of traction with brand new tyres caused due to the mould release compound .
I don't know if there is a technique to this like the way I need to bed-in new brake pads .
(Remember that discussion on "burnishing",Uncle?)But, it just went away over kms.
Old 4th November 2008, 06:52   #135
BHPian

The present day car user manuals also do not talk of any run in – in fact when I asked the service manager, he even said “crap, these cars are not like old Ambys”. But I guess even then it is a generally accepted fact a run in for first 2K is good for a new car.

Well, I bought a new set of slippers last weekend and I find the grip improved after one day of walk-in. I guess it could be the same with tires too. Over to the tire experts.

Most Viewed