Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 21:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

when i threw my bike's tubeless tyre for a new one it had like 12-13 nails in it. i was using slime in the tyre so it helped for sure.
so i dont think these nails are a cause for major trouble in case they are not spotted

Last edited by akshay4587 : 19th November 2008 at 21:59.
Old 19th November 2008, 23:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

I bought the puncture kit for 100 bucks. Now where can I get the darned high quality strips in gaon?
Old 19th November 2008, 23:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This is very interesting. Where do you drive to get a puncture every fortnight in a place like Delhi?
Sir, out of my 25 km commute to office, 24.5 kms is a beautiful stretch of Dwarka and the Expressway. However, the last 500 m to my office is an off-road trek that my poor JK tyres cannot handle. Add to it the construction of a mall and an IT park going on next to my office and what results is total mayhem.

And thats not all. I find a nail in my tyre every fortnight and it has been accompanied by the opening of two or three puncture repair khokhas on that 500m stretch. I am sure that there is some mischief going on there. Hence, I never get my punture repaired from these khokhas, instead prefer driving and inflating tyres twice a week and getting reapirs done on weekends.
Old 19th November 2008, 23:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I bought the puncture kit for 100 bucks. Now where can I get the darned high quality strips in gaon?
Trust me, you will never use the kit unless you are REALLY stranded. Its much easier to get it done from outside.

Also a mechanic once told me that the strips come in packs of ten and once opened, have a limited shelf life.
Old 20th November 2008, 09:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

That is some solace, huh? Now this shelf life business is worrying. Any further corroborating statements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Trust me, you will never use the kit unless you are REALLY stranded. Its much easier to get it done from outside.

Also a mechanic once told me that the strips come in packs of ten and once opened, have a limited shelf life.
Old 20th November 2008, 11:33   #21
BHPian

I think the shelf-life thing has more to do with the adhesive around the sticks getting dry. But as long as you keep it between the two sheets of plastic it usually ships with ,and not exposed to air I don't think it's an issue.
Old 20th November 2008, 11:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I think the shelf-life thing has more to do with the adhesive around the sticks getting dry. But as long as you keep it between the two sheets of plastic it usually ships with ,and not exposed to air I don't think it's an issue.
Yep, the strips getting dry is the cause of them becoming useless.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

This further resolves to my attention to move to tubeless tyres on an alloy wheel...

Nice eye opening post (for me )
Old 4th January 2009, 11:54   #24
BHPian

I think I need to get my front tyres checked, both keep losing about 2-3 PSI every fortnight, the rear ones haven't lost any pressure in over two months, I maintain 34 psi for the front wheels and 26 for the rear.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:09   #25
BANNED

Thats 75 per strip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
Paid about Rs 450 for the kit. 6 strips included i.e 6 punctures can be repaired.
Cost of repair = cost of strip + cost of labour.

When strip itself costs 75, how can total cost of repair be 40?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
I recently had 2 punctures, which cost me rs.40 each to repair.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If you see repeated unusual drop in pressure in one, it means there is an embedded nail.
Or slow leak around the nozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
no "kut kut", nothing at all! Well, the 100 bucks was worth the effort - the maruti servicing guys had rotated my spare 165/80 which was lying in the boot and mixed em up with my 185/70s. So I got a proper tyre rotation + repair done.
pl do NOT mix tyres of different size. Therefore you got a improper rotation done. keep the 165/80 back in the boot
Old 4th January 2009, 20:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
pl do NOT mix tyres of different size. Therefore you got a improper rotation done. keep the 165/80 back in the boot
M/S Sai Service, Andheri, did the same during my Swift's 20k servicing. I had retained the 165/80 in the boot since I bought only 4 Michelins.

My mistake was that I collected the car at 8:30 pm and didn't check the tyres carefully.
Old 4th January 2009, 21:16   #28
BHPian

Yesterday I was at Nikhil's shop for my car's wheel rotation, balancing and alignment etc.
I was surprised to see two of my Michelin PP2 tyres had long nails pierced into them. Still the tyres maintained enough pressure.

One of the nail head (a 2 inch screw in fact) was so well polished making it evident that I was running with that nails for past few months.

The last time I filled air was almost two months back, but still the tyre pressure was at 26. I usually keep 28/29.
Long live tubeless tyres and Michelin.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Or slow leak around the nozzle
Yes. I faced the same problem and was unable to detect, until I figured that the nozzle itself was leaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
M/S Sai Service, Andheri, did the same during my Swift's 20k servicing. I had retained the 165/80 in the boot since I bought only 4 Michelins.

My mistake was that I collected the car at 8:30 pm and didn't check the tyres carefully.
Ah, the infamous Sai Service rears its ugly head again!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 5th January 2009 at 11:09.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Yesterday I was at Nikhil's shop for my car's wheel rotation, balancing and alignment etc.
I was surprised to see two of my Michelin PP2 tyres had long nails pierced into them. Still the tyres maintained enough pressure.

One of the nail head (a 2 inch screw in fact) was so well polished making it evident that I was running with that nails for past few months.

The last time I filled air was almost two months back, but still the tyre pressure was at 26. I usually keep 28/29.
Long live tubeless tyres and Michelin.
I had a similar experience with my left back wheel. I dint even know when the puncture could have happened. When i realized there is a nail i could see the nails head nicely polished. The nail head was between thread grooves so no noise either. Finally I realized it when i was trying to reverse it on to a sharp foot path stone. The nail was almost 2 inches and had bent towards the side wall and had the side wall scrubbed off for about half inch by few mm's. The air pressure had dropped by about 5-6 psi.

To top it i wont be checking tyre pressures that often as i have them Nitro inflated. The tyre guys asked me to get the nitro top up done once in 4-5 months unless there is a pressure drop. Finally i have to buy a new tyre as the repair guy said even the repair would leave a bubble on the tyre.

So now for the all the tyre gurus

With Nitro Fill how often should i be getting the tyre pressure checked?
What's the indication of having a puncture coz of a nail or having a nail on a tubeless?
Can i get the nitro filled tyres pressure checked by the ordinary air fill?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks