Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 12:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@SOUM, my experience was similar to Jaggu's. 4 day old F1, went into a pothole. No pop etc. Went into a wedding reception. Discovered the flat post dinner. Had taken the tyres from Minku. No replacement for sidewall cuts was the feedback. Got a new one and moved on :(
Since then the tyres have run 27K. Through numerous potholes and horrible roads. No further issues.
I'm guessing the incident occured near the Wipro crossing? If so, some flyover construction material could be the culprit.
Even I got mine from Minku.
Not sure as to what caused the sidewall damage. But cant rule out the probable culprit to be any construction material
Old 10th November 2008, 12:39   #17
BHPian

Thanks a lot friends, for sharing your views and experiences. Unfortunately, this was the first time it happened to me and naturally took some time to come to terms with the incident.
Similar incidents have happened with Jaggu and Shuvc. I have been driving for the last 10 years on stock tyres for all sorts of cars like Amby, Fiat, Zen, Indica..... but never faced such incidents. My first exploration on imported tyres and I must admit, it was horrible to start with.

Experts can you please come forward with some Do's & Dont's for newbies like me. Its better to be smart upfront rather than repent later. Please pen in your guidelines on what all precautions we need to take to avoid such unwanted incidents?
Old 11th November 2008, 10:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
@SOUM, my experience was similar to Jaggu's. 4 day old F1, went into a pothole. No pop etc. Went into a wedding reception. Discovered the flat post dinner. Had taken the tyres from Minku. No replacement for sidewall cuts was the feedback. Got a new one and moved on :(
How come hitting a pothole rips open a tire sidewall

Since you are from Kolkata, you would know that hitting potholes are something we live with, on a daily basis. Does that mean that we need to provide for some tyre replacement fund on an annual basis?

Can you please explain it for me?
Old 12th November 2008, 11:26   #19
BHPian

Experts can you please come forward with some Do's & Dont's for newbies like me. Its better to be smart upfront rather than repent later. Please pen in your guidelines on what all precautions we need to take to avoid such unwanted incidents?
[/quote]

Experts please come up with your guidance on how to enjoy driving as well as preserve your performance tyres on horrible Indian road conditions
Old 12th November 2008, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

stick to driving with the wheels jacked up

on a serious note - donot drive above 40KPH with the performance tyres.
Old 12th November 2008, 13:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

Planet_Rocker, nice little joke amidst my gloomy session. I do appreciate your sense of humour.

On a serious note, if atall I had to drive at 40KPH, why the hell do you need performance tyres in the first place? Do you mean to suggest that they are only for the show business?
Old 12th November 2008, 13:34   #22
BHPian

Hey SOUM! Sorry to hear about your experience and that too with relatively new tires.
A few years back, I happened to be making a fast drive from Delhi to Noida, doing around 60+ kmph. The whole time I maintained a steady speed and only when coming near my place, i slowed down. On restarting from the slowdown, I felt the car behaving in a heavy manner. Stopping and inspection showed that my left rear tire was completely cut at the sidewalls.
The reason was that I had was running on a flat tire for quite a distance and at those speeds, was unable to feel the heavyness of the car.
The air completely depleted and finally the rims of the car cut the side walls of the tire.

All I'm saying is that something like this could have happened to you too.
Anyways, hope u get a replacement and safe driving.
Old 12th November 2008, 15:17   #23
BHPian

Hit the tire sidewall on the footpath kerbstone while parking which deflated my Bridgestone Potenza GIII - 195/60 - R14, running on League alloys on my Verna CRDI. So got it heat patched at JC road in Bangalore and made it my spare tire.

But no peace of mind especially on highways, so after 17K kms, and a few punctures with the other tires exchanged the whole set to Yokohama ES100 - 195/60 R14 filled with Nitrogen and it's been 22K kms now, touch wood, no problems.

Grip and road noise much better than the Bridgestone Potenza's.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Planet_Rocker, nice little joke amidst my gloomy session. I do appreciate your sense of humour.

On a serious note, if atall I had to drive at 40KPH, why the hell do you need performance tyres in the first place? Do you mean to suggest that they are only for the show business?
Old 12th November 2008, 20:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUM View Post
How come hitting a pothole rips open a tire sidewall

Can you please explain it for me?
In Salt Lake the edge of the roads along the dividers have some semi-circular 'cut-outs'. The right front went into one such pit, sharply, since I failed to spot it. I was doing max 40.

One possible reason could be - these tyres are relatively soft when new and hence more susceptible to such damage. They harden up over time.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ SOUM - please go through the board rules - newbie posts are moderated till 50 posts. they will show up only they have been moderated.

why did you buy yokohama ES100 (195/60 R15)? i guess they are H-rated (210KPH). a cheap 165/80 R14 GPS2 is T rated (190KPH) - where in kolkata do you do such high speeds?

you have bought performance tyres which are able to provide grip at high speed and you are worried about potholes, rather preserving the tyres??

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th November 2008 at 20:49.
Old 13th November 2008, 15:44   #27
BHPian

You should have gone for Michelin XM1+ instead.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
In Salt Lake the edge of the roads along the dividers have some semi-circular 'cut-outs'. The right front went into one such pit, sharply, since I failed to spot it. I was doing max 40.

One possible reason could be - these tyres are relatively soft when new and hence more susceptible to such damage. They harden up over time.
Thanks Shuvc for the clarifications. I would definitely try to keep this in mind since I have to drive a lot within Salt Lake. Thanks once again.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
@ SOUM - please go through the board rules - newbie posts are moderated till 50 posts. they will show up only they have been moderated.??
I am fully aware of it mate.

why did you buy yokohama ES100 (195/60 R15)? i guess they are H-rated (210KPH). a cheap 165/80 R14 GPS2 is T rated (190KPH) - where in kolkata do you do such high speeds???[/quote]

Going back from office, I generally take the Rajarhat / Newtown road and could clock 110 / 120 with stock tyres on my Indica. I never felt comfortable on the two sharp turns on that road or on hard braking and hence decided to go for performance tyre on my new Swift VDi. Weekend long drives were a bonus.

you have bought performance tyres which are able to provide grip at high speed and you are worried about potholes, rather preserving the tyres??[/quote] I am, because I lost a tyre on the 7th day after having done only 400 kms on it. I have put it behind me ever since experts like Jaggu / Shuvc shared their experiences and it is more of a lesson learnt. Enjoying the new tyres....
Old 10th December 2008, 17:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Bad luck SOUM. Highly unlikely though that you will get a replacement from the company (unless Yoko feel that as goodwill gesture they want to replace it FOC).

If you could post a pic, it will help a lot.
The dealer refused a replacement because of the sidewall failure and the Yokohama official site also speaks in similar lines for warranty replacements. Purchased a new tyre and 1000 kms on I am happy with the performance. Still posting this pic for guys interested in deep diving for casual analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama ES-100: Tyre failure.-es100_f1.jpg  

Most Viewed