Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 22:14   #16
BHPian

re: Chevy Optra : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

there is no scraping issue with the 205. i think brajj's magnum runs on them too.. as for yoko's A drives are nice but go for the s drives if you want a bit more performance from them tyres. 195/60/r15 comes in yoko's a drives for 4000 per tyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Same question as above. Even I need to change the wheels on my car.
Priorities :
Ground Clearance (Similar is fine I don't want to lose on GC)
Comfort
Long Lasting
Hopefully somewhat better performance than the OEM's

Options :
1. 195/60/15 - Stock Size - Michelin Primacy LC or some Yoko's (Yoko availability in Lucknow might be an issue and could not find any India specific information on their website.)
2. 205/55/15 - Might lose on GC (4mm if I remember correctly but dunno whether that would really matter)
3. 205/60/15 - Sidewall scraping issue. Is it true? Otherwise seems to be a good upgrade option.

Kindly advice on what should be rubbers I should l consider. Want to upgrade the profile but not without any concrete information.

Cheers
nims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
there is no scraping issue with the 205. i think brajj's magnum runs on them too.. as for yoko's A drives are nice but go for the s drives if you want a bit more performance from them tyres. 195/60/r15 comes in yoko's a drives for 4000 per tyre
Do note that the S drives are very hard compound tires and more sports/performance oriented and very tough on the suspension also. While they are good for drag/street racing but not if you want a comfortable ride which the Yoko C drive or the LCs will provide.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:06   #18
BHPian

MODS: Sorry, Somehow it become a duplicate post of below post. Please delete this one.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 22nd May 2011 at 14:22.
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Same question as above. Even I need to change the wheels on my car.
Priorities :
Ground Clearance (Similar is fine I don't want to lose on GC)
Comfort
Long Lasting
Hopefully somewhat better performance than the OEM's

Options :
1. 195/60/15 - Stock Size - Michelin Primacy LC or some Yoko's (Yoko availability in Lucknow might be an issue and could not find any India specific information on their website.)
2. 205/55/15 - Might lose on GC (4mm if I remember correctly but dunno whether that would really matter)
3. 205/60/15 - Sidewall scraping issue. Is it true? Otherwise seems to be a good upgrade option.

Kindly advice on what should be rubbers I should l consider. Want to upgrade the profile but not without any concrete information.

Cheers
I have changed to Yokohama AVS db v550 205/60/15. Covered almost 2000kms with the new tyres including a 1500 km drive from Bangalore to Kerala and back. I would say this tire is well suited for Magnum. Here are my observations:
1. Best thing is the handling improvements. I wanted a slightly harder side wall since the suspension is a tad softer in Magnum. This one proved to be a well balanced Tyre on stock suspension setup. I traveled with 4 adults for 1500 kms, and never had any sidewall scraping. Also to my surprise, many of the speed breakers didn't scrap her under belly which would have definitely happened with old setup (GT3) when 4 adults sitting and boot full of luggage. More than slight increase in GC, the sidewall hardness is helping I believe. So finally I can cross the speed breakers in city with higher confidence.

2. I had a fear that the up sizing will further worsen the already hard steering, but in fact after the tyre change it has become more lighter.

3. Also the noise level is very much reduced compared to the earlier GT3.

4. Had a chance to drive 200Kms through rain. The grip on wet surface is amazing. No more scary spins at second gear during rain.

5. With stock tyres there was a speedo meter error of approx. 5km/h. Now that has reduced to 1-2 km/h. (Compared with dedicated GPS-device speed display).

Hope this helps.
-HCP.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 22nd May 2011 at 14:20.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 04:37   #20
BHPian

So a bit of searching here n there and I'm left with these options @ stock sizes:

Bridgestone G3 (potenza or turanza) for 5050

Michelin PLC for 5500.

Yoko are damn expensive here or may be I haven't come across the right place and I'm unable to locate any authorized dealers in my city. (A Drives - +5k, ES100 - 5900 )

Planning to go with Michelin inspite of the soft sidewall issue. Not much idea about the G3 though they look more balanced in terms of performance as well as comfort (which I suppose should be okay with Magnum's soft ride) any suggestions about the above 2 would really helpful. Thanks for the suggestions already provided above guys. Been of great help as always.

Cheers
Old 26th May 2011, 19:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yoko are damn expensive here or may be I haven't come across the right place and I'm unable to locate any authorized dealers in my city. (A Drives - +5k, ES100 - 5900 )
Your city being lucknow or Delhi? and those prices for the Yokos are atrocious. If you are keen on Yokos, pm me and I may be able to put you in touch with the right person.

Last edited by khoj : 26th May 2011 at 19:17.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 13:39   #22
BHPian

I'm situated in Lucknow. Might just go in for 205/60/R15 if its available for MPLC. Yoko C drives would have been perfect.

Bridgestone G3's as I have read are too noisy? And have no idea whether they are good buy at 5050. (Though I'm very sure they'd be less noisy than the stock tires - Goodyear GT3)

I hope the upsize I'm looking at is good decision. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 29th May 2011, 04:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

You can talk to Gaurav Mahajan @ +919560012666, he is the retail channel manager, Yokohama for North India. He should be able to put you in touch with the local dealer in your city. He helped me get a great deal when I switched my car's OE Bridgestones to Yoko AVS dB.

Here is a tool to help calculate the correct upsize etc. Per the same you will have a speedo error of 2% upon switching to 205/60R15.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 3 of 4
Old 8th June 2011, 11:08   #24
BHPian

I did my upgrade to Michelin PLC last week. Feels like i should have done this long back. No tyre noise, soft cushioned ride, improved handling. Great tyres
Old 9th June 2011, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I'm situated in Lucknow. Might just go in for 205/60/R15 if its available for MPLC. Yoko C drives would have been perfect.

Bridgestone G3's as I have read are too noisy? And have no idea whether they are good buy at 5050. (Though I'm very sure they'd be less noisy than the stock tires - Goodyear GT3)

I hope the upsize I'm looking at is good decision. Thanks for all the advice.

I have been running my Magnum on Yokohama S-Drives 205/55/R15. I strongly recommend these tyres. Its been almost 36k kms of mix of city and highway driving. Performance has been awesome, plus the comfort level. Still some 4-5k kms life is remaining, but still I am planning to change al 4 again. Will be going for second set of S-Drives. costs Rs. 5600 In pune.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:36   #26
BHPian

I'm going in for Bridgestone ER 60 for 4750 each considering they should more durable than the Michelin's and are average tires for city usage both in terms of comfort, less road noise and performance.

Moreover I when I compared the sidewalls of Michelin PLC and ER 60's, I found a significant difference which I guess translates to the amazingly comfortable ride of the PLC's. Since I find magnum to be already very comfy, I plan to skip on the PLC's. Yoko's were not available so had to skip on them otherwise C Drive's suited the bill perfectly.

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 10th June 2011 at 14:38.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:38   #27
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2011 at 23:24.
sreejinair is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th July 2011, 23:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
I am using Yokohama AVS dB v550 205/60/15 and completed around 5000 kms as of now. IMO this is the right upgrade for optra. Now sidewall scrapping with 4 adults sitting in and all their luggage loaded in trunk. The ride is not soft as OEM, but I like ride quality compared to the spongy feeling of OEM. Grip is way better and the best thing is no more underbelly scrapping on those speed breakers.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 13th July 2011 at 23:42.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:37   #29
BHPian

Friends i have booked my Torpedo (Magnum 2.0 LT) and was thinking about the tyre upgrade. Now i have a few questions in mind and would really appreciate if you guys could provide me with a solution:-

1. I travel a lot on the Highways be it monsoon/summer/winters, so need a tyre with excellent grip in all the conditions??
2. If i upsize i.e. from 195/60/15 to 205/60/15, is it going to affect my suspension/ride quality/warranty??
3. If i upsize i.e. from 195/60/15 to 205/60/15, is it going to affect the capacity to ride fully loaded or turning radius??
4. What tyre suits magnum best?? I was thinking of Yoko V550 but my tyre guy says Michelin PLC??

Would appreciate your replies.

Cheers....
Old 26th August 2011, 00:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
Friends i have booked my Torpedo (Magnum 2.0 LT) and was thinking about the tyre upgrade. Now i have a few questions in mind and would really appreciate if you guys could provide me with a solution:-

1. I travel a lot on the Highways be it monsoon/summer/winters, so need a tyre with excellent grip in all the conditions??
2. If i upsize i.e. from 195/60/15 to 205/60/15, is it going to affect my suspension/ride quality/warranty??
3. If i upsize i.e. from 195/60/15 to 205/60/15, is it going to affect the capacity to ride fully loaded or turning radius??
4. What tyre suits magnum best?? I was thinking of Yoko V550 but my tyre guy says Michelin PLC??

Would appreciate your replies.

Cheers....
1. If you get Apollo Aceleres as OEM. They are one of the best VFM tires available right now.

2. Not necessary, IMO.

3. No, but there are chances of tire scrapping the wheelwells or mud flaps. With 205/60-15 will also result in speedo error.

4. Yokohama C drives --> Michelin PLC --> Yoko V 550

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks