Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:07   #331
BHPian

Re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Guys, need your advice on a tyre query.
The tyre shop tells me that it's fine to have the spare tyre as 175/65 R15 while the other 4 are 185/65 R15 (and do rotation only on these 4 tyres).
I know there's approx. 10 mm radius difference, but they are telling me this is not an issue at all since spare tyre will hardly be used and if at all used, it'll only be for a short distance. It seems such 'donut' tyres of different sizes are very common now and is not any cause for concern.
Is it safe to do like they say?
What they say makes sense if one considers the spare tyre to be used only in case of emergencies. And in such scenarios, this tyre normally has a speed limit. (usually around 80 kmph). The idea behind this is that if you have an issue, you can change the tyre and keep moving until you get the faulty tyre fixed or replaced, and thus, won't be stranded on the road. Mind you, this is not a long term option.

The alternative (and one that I follow) is that you rotate all tyres regularly, in which case, you need to upgrade the spare as well. That way, you can continue the trip, maintaining the same speeds as before, and won't be limping to the workshop, followed by waiting for the fix, both of which can be detrimental to the journey.
CaptainPrice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:34   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
What they say makes sense if one considers the spare tyre to be used only in case of emergencies. And in such scenarios, this tyre normally has a speed limit. (usually around 80 kmph). The idea behind this is that if you have an issue, you can change the tyre and keep moving until you get the faulty tyre fixed or replaced, and thus, won't be stranded on the road. Mind you, this is not a long term option.

The alternative (and one that I follow) is that you rotate all tyres regularly, in which case, you need to upgrade the spare as well. That way, you can continue the trip, maintaining the same speeds as before, and won't be limping to the workshop, followed by waiting for the fix, both of which can be detrimental to the journey.
Agreed. Even I wanted to rotate the spare tyre too. Problem is that these stupid Honda guys do only 4 tyre rotation without using the spare tyre. And some fault at my end too for continuing to use it even after realizing that the spare wasn't rotated. So now I have a spare tyre that's relatively new but the other 4 ones have run more than 35K.

My only worry is whether it will mess with the ABS or car electronics since the diameter is different. The car may think that one tyre on the axle is spinning faster than the other and try to do some corrective action. For cars that come with donut tyres, is the overall diameter also different or do they compensate for the lesser width using a higher profile to keep diameter more or less same?
Old 24th November 2018, 10:09   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Guys, need your advice on a tyre query.

I have a 2011 Honda City (Type 3) with 2 Yoko Earth1s on the back axle, 2 Michelin XM2s on the front axle with all 4 tyres having more or less equal running and wear. And a Michelin XM2 with very less running as the spare tire with which I cant do rotation now with the other 4 tyres due to the difference in wear.

All 5 tyres are 175/65 R15s but I would like to upgrade to 185/65 R15s in the next tyre change to increase the ground clearance. The tyre shop tells me that it's fine to have the spare tyre as 175/65 R15 while the other 4 are 185/65 R15 (and do rotation only on these 4 tyres).

I know there's approx. 10 mm radius difference, but they are telling me this is not an issue at all since spare tyre will hardly be used and if at all used, it'll only be for a short distance. It seems such 'donut' tyres of different sizes are very common now and is not any cause for concern.

I can understand if the donut tyre was of the same diameter but different size (say lesser width and higher profile with low rim size but overall diameter same). Is it safe to do like they say?
I was in the exact same situation. My 4 tyres are 195/60/R15 and spare is 175/65/R15 . In case of puncture i was informed the same thing that i should be able to put the spare tryre and drive till a puncture shop to get the regular tyre fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
How's the overall experience? Ride quality would definitely improve, any positive changes in handling/ braking?

How's the overall pick-up/acceleration with these bigger, heavier tyres? Any impact?

Thanks!
I did not notice much difference in pickup and acceleration as i am currently driving only in the city . The ride seems to be much better with these new tyres. I have an automatic so don't know about the fuel efficiency claims. But on older tyres it was giving around 7.8 average and on the new ones i am getting around 8.5 in city driving in Pune. To be honest the traffic in the city is such where i hardly see the car going beyond 40 kmph due to humps, 2 wheeler riders and red lights that come up. Folks normally claim average of 10+ in the city on City automatic and 14+ on highway. But i am not getting these numbers. Of course with the change in tyres there would he a .5 to 1 km drop in efficiency so i will wait , observer and continue to monitor what mileage i get.

Overall i am satisfied with the tyres and happy with the ride quality they offer.

Last edited by Dushie : 24th November 2018 at 10:10.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 14:08   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
I was in the exact same situation. My 4 tyres are 195/60/R15 and spare is 175/65/R15 . In case of puncture i was informed the same thing that i should be able to put the spare tryre and drive till a puncture shop to get the regular tyre fixed
Thanks. In your case, the diameter difference is less than mine, but still it provides me an assurance that diameter doesn't need to match exactly
Old 15th December 2018, 22:13   #335
BHPian

Hello,

Any suggestions for a good tyre dealer in coimbatore? Thanks!!
Old 16th December 2018, 08:48   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
Its been almost 19 months on Yoko Earth1’s on my 2012 ANHC (stock size). One gripe I have is that the ride has a hard edge to it especially at the rear. I maintain 32 psi in all tyres.
I have the same tyres for more than a year now. You can revert to the Honda recommended pressures of 32 psi in the front and 30psi at the back. Higher pressure at the back tends to make the ride bouncy.
Old 16th August 2019, 23:31   #337
SRT
BHPian

Anyone upgraded tyres of 2009 model Honda city to 195/65 R15 on original alloys? Is it touching the body on full load and full shock action? What is the feedback?
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:06   #338
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for an upgrade. Currently, I have OE Michelin XM1 175/65 R14 tires. Which will be a perfect upsize?

175/70 R14 - 3% than OEM; GC will increase by 5mm

185/65 R14 - Better grip, no increase in GC.

195/60 R14 - Superior grip, Marginal increase in GC

190/65 R14 - Superior grip, Marginal increase in GC

Last edited by keeprevving : 23rd October 2019 at 07:08.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:26   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Guys, I am looking for an upgrade. Currently, I have OE Michelin XM1 175/65 R14 tires. Which will be a perfect upsize?

I am using 195/60 R15 Michelin P4ST on my 2019 City. It is a highly recommended upgrade and a lot of others on the forum also use the same specifications on their City. If you are willing to upsize from the 14 incher options, then this would be the perfect upgrade. The City deserves 15 inchers, both from the aesthetic as well as the performance perspective. Zero issues with ground clearance, and no perceptible difference/reduction in fuel efficiency either. Ride quality is pretty good, and so are handling and braking.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 04:30   #340
Senior - BHPian

I have never upgraded tyre equipment in so many years of my car ownerships. So this may be a bit of a fundamental question: suppose I upgrade my City tyres from 185/55R16 to say, 195/55R16 keeping the same wheels, would I have to retain the same tyre pressure levels (32F -30R) or would there be a change?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 17:50   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post

I believe the 2012 Honda CIty ( Type 3 facelift) came with 15 inchers on all the models. Are you sure it's a 14 incher for you? Mine also came with Michelin XM1 175/65 R15 which I upgraded to the Continental MC5 195/60 R15 last year and the changes, I must say are noteworthy.

I wouldn't recommend the 195/65 as the circumference difference gets >4% which is double the recommended change of <2%. The 195/60 hits the sweet spot with the right amout of width and GC improvement.

Coming to the tyre, I had narrowed down on the Michelin P3ST ( P4ST didn't launch back then) and the Continental MC5. Both are soft compound silica based and are known for low road noise, better wet and dry grip and a cushioned ride quality. I got a very good deal on the MC5 at the last moment and decided to go for the same and I don't regret making the choice.

Pros -
1. Road noise reduced by a huge amount and I now have a lot more silent ride
2. The car avoids scrapping many speed breakers which it would, with the previous tyres
3. The streering feel has improved marginally.
4. The grip has improved immensely and the car now corners very confidently. IMO the original 175 section was way too thin and held the car back.

Cons-
1. Michelins are known for their low rolling resistance and henceit takes a bit more effort to gain traction on this one.
2. Ever so slight drop in fuel efficiency ( ~12kmpl to ~11.5kmpl)
3. Michelins look better IMO.

Overall I'm very safisfied with the change and would highly recommend the same. With either tyres - Continental MC5 or the Michelin P4ST, you cannot go wrong.
aenkay91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 10:38   #342

Friends,

My Honda city diesel SV IDTEC has completed 1,75,200 kms. My Bridgestone tyres had done more than 50k kms and it was time to change.
Magnum Honda service technician suggested Goodyear triplemax 2 as a better alternative. My car has always been on Bridgestone tyres hence I also wanted to see how different is Goodyear.

I have been driving short distances for 3 days, the main thing I noticed was tyre noise and a bumpy ride quality. The tyre noise is not something I am used to and twice I had to stop and check if the tyres are alright.

Is this a problem with tyre fitting or Goodyear tyres in general?
Old 11th January 2020, 11:09   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmonyklik View Post
Friends,

Is this a problem with tyre fitting or Goodyear tyres in general?

The commuter Goodyear tyres (Erstwhile GT 3 and Triplemax series) are bumpier and noisier than other brands like Bridgestone, Michelim, Yoko etc.
However, they are slightly cheaper, longer lasting and comes with unconditional warranty for 2 years and conditional for 5 (Triplemax).
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 13:30   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
The commuter Goodyear tyres (Erstwhile GT 3 and Triplemax series) are bumpier and noisier than other brands like Bridgestone, Michelim, Yoko etc.
However, they are slightly cheaper, longer lasting and comes with unconditional warranty for 2 years and conditional for 5 (Triplemax).
Thank you very much for the response. Wonder why the service technician suggested Goodyear. I am planning to take in on a long drive (750kms) either tonight or mid next week. Let me see how it feels on the highway. So far it is not giving me too much confidence. Maybe I may have to get used to these tyres. Bridgestone tyres were far too comfy and less noisy
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:16   #345
BHPian

I've upgraded from stock 175/65/R15 to 195/55/R16, MRF ZVTV to Michelin Primacy 4ST and have been using it for 2 months now.

Wheels have been upgraded from 15" to 16", Brand: Momo; Model: Raptor
They are wider than stock wheels, but I can't recall the specifications.

Here are my observations:
  • The handling is super slick. Takes corners like a boss and there's zero lack of traction. At the wrong end of the speedometer too, there's loads of grip on offer and it just won't shake.
  • Acceleration has improved a bit because of the superior grip.
  • Ride quality has improved even though profile has reduced. Michelin magic.
  • Way less road noise.
  • LOOKS. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20200303_011131.jpg
  • Turning radius seems to have been increased.
  • Braking is fine. No issues there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks