Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2012, 11:09   #181
BHPian

Re: Alloy wheel and tyre upgrade for the ANHC?

Has anyone tried 16 inchers on the city? I'm planning an upgrade to 205/50 R16 on better looking alloys. Is it a viable option in Mumbai? Or Should I just upgrade the tires to 195/60 and stick with the stock alloys?

I have a August 2011 - VMT.
Old 16th June 2012, 21:33   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Alloy wheel and tyre upgrade for the ANHC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackparag View Post
Has anyone tried 16 inchers on the city? I'm planning an upgrade to 205/50 R16 on better looking alloys. Is it a viable option in Mumbai? Or Should I just upgrade the tires to 195/60 and stick with the stock alloys?

I have a August 2011 - VMT.
205/50-16 is the correct size but I suggest you stick to 195/60-15. Much better availability, better ride quality and less risk of damage to alloys and tyres.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 17:22   #183
Team-BHP Support

Query: Honda City V/AT 09 model - tyre change

I'm planning to change all 5 tyres in my Aug 09 Honda City V/AT.

My priorities are:

1. No impact / minimal impact on FE (topmost priority)
2. Less road noise if possible
3. Tyres should be great quality and durable.
4. Tyres should offer decent grip.
5. I am ok to stay with stock specs or at best upgrade to 185 width (no more)
6. I am not overly fussed about the relative cost amongst the various options. A price range between 4600 - 5500 per tyre should be fine.

Questions

Q1. Amongst the following options which tyres would you recommend given the above priorities.

Note: A tyre dealer has provided these as available options in each of the sizes below.

A. 175/65/R15 (stock specs)

Michelin XM1
Michelin XM2
Bridgestone B250
Bridgestone ER60 Turanza
Any other option that I should consider?

B. 185/65/R15

Bridgestone B250
Michelin XM2
Apollo Amazer 3G Max

C. 185/60/R15 (I am told this is an odd size so lesser options)

Bridgestone B250
Bridgestone ER 300 Turanza

Q2. Between option B and C above, which is the better upgrade specification to adopt, if I choose to move away from the stock tyres. Note that I don't plan to change my stock alloys.

I plan the upgrade sometime in the course of September, hopefully sooner rather than later. Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Cheers,
Old 29th August 2012, 17:26   #184
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Query: Honda City V/AT 09 model - tyre change

I recently upgraded my tires to 195/60 R 15. Switched over to Bridgestone Ecopia, which is the latest eco friendly tire from Bridgestone,

It meets all your parameters below, i would highly recommend it. I am very happy with it

195 is the correct upsize, and there are no issues with it. there is no change in the FE for me.

nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 13:05   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I'm planning to change all 5 tyres in my Aug 09 Honda City V/AT.

My priorities are:

5. I am ok to stay with stock specs or at best upgrade to 185 width (no more)
6. I am not overly fussed about the relative cost amongst the various options. A price range between 4600 - 5500 per tyre should be fine.

Cheers,
Though my response may be late, yet I would like to say the following:
1) If you are very particular about FE, then DO NOT change from 175/65/15.
Honda has optimized (though may be even undersized the OE tires for the engine power) the OE tires to this size in order to maximize the FE.
Any change to this will have negative impact on FE though there are some positives for aggressive driving.
2) The option 185/65/15 is not correct as it exceeds the 2% variation which is normally acceptable.
3) The option 185/60/15 is acceptable but like you mentioned it may be an odd size and may not have wide choice of tires as seen from your examples.
4) You may not gain much from up sizing from 175 to 185, but if you are serious and often drive in the highway at good speeds and do not mind compromising FE for stability and grip then you may consider 195/60/15 and there are good choices available too.
The OE alloys will fit this up size.
5) By the way what were the OE tires and how many KM's did it serve?
I hope you have not changed the tires yet and this information would be useful.
In any case please update and inform your final decision and choice.
Thanks.
Old 28th September 2012, 14:37   #186
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I recently upgraded my tires to 195/60 R 15. Switched over to Bridgestone Ecopia, which is the latest eco friendly tire from Bridgestone,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Honda has optimized (though may be even undersized the OE tires for the engine power) the OE tires to this size in order to maximize the FE.
Thanks.
Hi Guys

First of all thank you for your replies. I think I owe a final decision response to all of you

Final choice

175/65/R15 (i.e. retained stock specs). Bridgestone ER60 Turanza. I made the change about a week ago I think (maybe little more).

I did not want to upsize at all because FE was paramount in this particular car.

I picked Bridgestone over Michelins because I perceived their harder compound is more sturdy than Michelin softer compound, latter being more
susceptible to damage given our road conditions.

I'm overall happy with the tyres, feels quite stable although I feel as if I can actually feel the hardness of the tyres. Maybe I'm spoilt because of the Michelins that my Civic wears but that was just my basic feeling on the change.

My old tyres were a bit of a mess on the City. My mum had to change one because it got 3 - 4 punctures (we suspect some tyrewalla mischief involved). Then there was one JK and other MRFs or something like that. Overall our ODO reads about 40K plus I think. I just wanted to change all tyres at one shot to have either Bridgestones or Michelin and nothing else - so the overall change was worth it.
Old 10th February 2013, 15:53   #187
BHPian

Hi guys, I need suggestions for new tyres for my family's Honda ZX that has completed 50k on the odo.

I don't wanna upsize, just get new tyres of the same stock size from these
1. Yokohama
2. Bridgestone
3. Goodyear

A few people have suggested MAXXIS but I'm not keen on taking a chance.
Old 10th February 2013, 16:01   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Hi guys, I need suggestions for new tyres for my family's Honda ZX that has completed 50k on the odo.

I don't wanna upsize, just get new tyres of the same stock size from these
1. Yokohama
2. Bridgestone
3. Goodyear

A few people have suggested MAXXIS but I'm not keen on taking a chance.
I too wanted a similar upgrade for my 2005 Honda City. I wasn't looking for an upgrade but my tyre guy suggested an upgrade to 185/60 R14 from the stock 175/65 R14.
and Boy, it made a diffference. The car was much more stable at highway speeds and still had the same amazing fuel economy. Also I saw in an Autocar magazine, that they had also suggested to upsize to this very size.
So i would strongly suggest you to get 185/60 R14 Bridgestone Potenza GIII . A bit expensive but totally worth it.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2013 at 15:24. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 10th February 2013, 16:07   #189
BHPian

What would be the difference? This particular car sees 95% city running & is mostly in use with my aunt. Rarely ever on the highway on a run not more than 350km.

So is it of a tangible improvement for the usage requirement ?
Old 10th February 2013, 20:00   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
What would be the difference? This particular car sees 95% city running & is mostly in use with my aunt. Rarely ever on the highway on a run not more than 350km.

So is it of a tangible improvement for the usage requirement ?
Even if you don't want to spend more for the Potenza , then i suggest to look at regular b250 in the 185/60 size. The car would drive much better.
Old 29th July 2013, 15:35   #191
BHPian

Hi Guys!!

My knowledge of tyre's is not very great hence need your suggestions.

I own a 2010 Honda City S which has run about 28000kms and I have been running it on the stock Michelin XM1's which it came with and only the rim has been changed to after market 15" Lenso Project D alloys.

I am not very satisfied with the XM1's majorly because i feel they are not durable, do not provide as much grip as i would prefer and road noise is very high specially on concrete roads. Also the design of the alloy is such that it protrudes out from the side and this i have been told is because i need wider tryes.

I am attaching a picture of the alloy that i have not sure if it would be helpful in explaining my point though;

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img00121201010051749.jpg

One of the tyres has already been damaged with a cut on the sidewall when the car went over a drainage cover. Although i had got this damaged tyre repaired from a local puncture shop by desi jugaad and transferred it onto the spare, it has developed a bulge and needs replacement. Since i was going to replace one new trye i thought i might as well up size, change all 4 and keep one of the old XM1 in the spare.

I need suggestions for which tyre's to go for, as from what i understand from reading on the forum 195/60 would be the perfect size. Please suggest if I should go for 195/60 or any other size. Should i consider Yokohama C Drives, Michelin XM2 or any other. A fellow Bhpian is using C drives on his City and strongly recommends these.

My main requirement;

1. Needs to be durable over potholed roads of Mumbai.
2. Ride comfort.
3. Great grip over dry and wet roads for highway runs.
4. I do not really care about any minor changes in the fuel consumption as this car is not used on a daily basis.
5. I would ideally not like to spend over 5 to 5.5K per wheel.

At the risk of sounding absurd and confused there is also another thing, I plan to replace this car in a years time or maybe even less, so should i even change the tyres or let the XM1's be and just change the damaged spare since there is still life for another 10K left in the threads. Its a matter of heart over head which is forcing me to change all 4, upsize and enjoy the ride over the next few months. While head keeps telling me that maybe you are wasting money now, since it is not like you will get a better resale for the car with new tyres.

Guys please help as any suggestions/ recommendations at this time will be very helpful and highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
VVB
Old 1st August 2013, 15:15   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Any change to this will have negative impact on FE though there are some positives for aggressive driving.

4) You may not gain much from up sizing from 175 to 185, but if you are serious and often drive in the highway at good speeds and do not mind compromising FE for stability and grip then you may consider 195/60/15 and there are good choices available too.
The OE alloys will fit this up size.
Thanks.
I have a 2010 ANHC running on stock michelins approaching 50k Kms. I am now planning to change the tires as I think they'll be good for another 5K kms or so. I am pretty satisfied with the stocks as they never gave me any problems and till now did not have to use the spare and its in showroom condition. My questions are as follows:

1.) I want to upsize. and its a general consensus that 195/60/R15 is the best bet. But is an upgrade worth it? I mean mine is a mixed bag kinda usage with 80% usage in the City rest on highways.

2.) The primary LC are the most recommended but I think their sidewalls is an issue that can undo them. so if I decide to upgrade which other options can I look for?

3.) Since my 5 th tire is unused will be a better idea to just stick with the stock wheels and pay for only 4 of them rather than chage all 5 in case I upgrade the size?

4.) My corolla is running on bridgestones and I want to know that in the 195/60/R15 configurations for AHNC which bridgestone tires would be best i.e. Turanza, potenza g3 etc?

Any input will be most helpful as the tire change is definitely happening after the 50K kms service this month.
Old 4th August 2013, 22:04   #193

So i just bought a Honda City VM/T after carefully considering all cars in the segment. While i love everything about the car, the OCD in me makes me twitch every time i see the rear of the car. The skinny tyre's look quite ugly and disproportionate.

Now i'm considering two options:

1. Upgrade to 195/60/r15's on stock rims, which will add 5mm to the GC, which again would lift the rear up making it look as bad. Not to mention a drop in FE.

2. Play with the offset. i.e. Add spacers or so.

The second option seems quite tempting as it allows me to maintain stock everything while increasing the track of the car. Has anyone tried anything of the sort? Anything i should know about, like straining the suspension etc. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 5th August 2013, 16:52   #194
BHPian

It looks like the proper upgrade is:
Tyre size: 185/55R16
Wheel size: 16 x 6 J
Alloy Wheel: 16"

This is based on city specifications from Malaysian and Philippines honda sites.
http://www.honda.com.my/model/specification/city/
Old 6th August 2013, 20:39   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omairs View Post
So i just bought a Honda City VM/T after carefully considering all cars in the segment. While i love everything about the car, the OCD in me makes me twitch every time i see the rear of the car. The skinny tyre's look quite ugly and disproportionate.

Now i'm considering two options:

1. Upgrade to 195/60/r15's on stock rims, which will add 5mm to the GC, which again would lift the rear up making it look as bad. Not to mention a drop in FE.

2. Play with the offset. i.e. Add spacers or so.

The second option seems quite tempting as it allows me to maintain stock everything while increasing the track of the car. Has anyone tried anything of the sort? Anything i should know about, like straining the suspension etc. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
I suggest you dont try any spacers. If needed, upsize yoour tyres or just learn to live with the looks of the car.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed