Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 15:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Good Afternoon drajesh, I have a UT Color Honda city ivtec 2011 MT. I am in a process of changing the OEM rims with Matte Black 15" alloy rims. I enquired about the same and saw a brand "DTX" (Pic Attached). I would request you to please share your ernest views pertaining to the above brand as i am unable to gather info on it.

Points of Relevance

> The Drive quality after rim change
> Does it affect the braking system of the car?
> Durability of the rim as i have come across imitation alloy wheels which are dangerous due to sub-standard quality guidlines.

Thanks!

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo0128.jpg  

Old 9th August 2013, 21:51   #197
BHPian

What will be the best upgrade for a brand new S-MT Honda City which has 175/65 R15 stock tyres and wheel size 15x5.5J?

Primary requirements:
1. Better Ground Clearance if possible without any negative effects. (Current 165mm is too less I feel)
2. Better grip and handling.
3. Durability as per Indian roads.

Fuel Efficiency is not really a priority.
Old 13th August 2013, 12:26   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
It looks like the proper upgrade is:
Tyre size: 185/55R16
Wheel size: 16 x 6 J
Alloy Wheel: 16"

This is based on city specifications from Malaysian and Philippines honda sites.
http://www.honda.com.my/model/specification/city/
I do not think this is the proper upgrade unless you are changing your wheels along with it. And even if you do there would be a dip in GC which is not something that you would want on your Honda City.
Stick to stock size on OEM alloys or use the standard upsize which people do with the overhead of a drop in FE.

Cheers
Old 13th August 2013, 12:45   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I do not think this is the proper upgrade unless you are changing your wheels along with it.
Cheers
I don't understand what you meant, the post clearly mentioned the tyre and alloy combination.
Old 14th August 2013, 08:41   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
I don't understand what you meant, the post clearly mentioned the tyre and alloy combination.
My bad for not being clear with my post.
One I missed the fact that you were moving to 16 inch wheels.
Secondly if you do move to 16 inchers with tyres of this size then would you not lose out on the GC even though you have larger wheels ?
Old 12th December 2013, 15:40   #201

I am in the process of searching for replacement tyres for my 2006 City ZX. The current ones are MRF ZV2K 175/65 R14.

I would not be replacing the wheels for now and I am looking for a little higher ground clearance (considering the poor GC for Honda cars) without affecting the FE.

I have been suggested 185/70 R14 Apollo Vectra by one dealer.I don't see good reviews for them.

I am also planning to get 4 new tyres and keep one of the existing tyres (the one in best condition out of the 4) as a spare wheel as the dealer is willing to take the current spare wheel which is nearly unused since 6 years at a good price. I dont see a reason to use the current good spare tyre and get 3 new tyres as it is not recommended to use a 6 years old tyre. Please suggest the following:

1. Is the size 185/70 R14 suitable for the City? How helpful will it be to increase GC? If this is not a recommended size, which is the correct one help me increase GC.
2. Suggest a good set of tyres other than Apollo Vectra. I was inclined to go for MRF ZV2K again as the spare wheel is ZV2K

Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 18:57   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy03 View Post
I am in the process of searching for replacement tyres for my 2006 City ZX. The current ones are MRF ZV2K 175/65 R14.

I would not be replacing the wheels for now and I am looking for a little higher ground clearance (considering the poor GC for Honda cars) without affecting the FE.

1. Is the size 185/70 R14 suitable for the City? How helpful will it be to increase GC? If this is not a recommended size, which is the correct one help me increase GC.
2. Suggest a good set of tyres other than Apollo Vectra. I was inclined to go for MRF ZV2K again as the spare wheel is ZV2K

Thanks
Hey maddy welcome to TBHP.

If you go through the tyre upgrade threads on this forum and elsewhere the experts tend to suggest a max deviation of 2%. Upgrading from 175/65 to 185/70 would mean a 10% + deviation. So I would suggest that you stick to your stock size unless GC is too much of a problem on the roads that you drive on.
The calculation works as follows:
175/65 => 175 * .65 = 113.75
185/70 => 185 * .70 = 129.5.
You can find the percentage diff from the above.
And for stock sized why do you want to stick to MRF. You could try moving to Michelin or Bridgestone IMO.
Do let me know if you would want more info on this

Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:56   #203
BHPian

Guys, the tyres on my City VTEC MT have clocked 38000 kms on the OEM MRF tyres. When should i start considering replacing the tyres? I drive on the Mumbai Pune expressway almost 2-3 times a month so don't want to chance a tyre burst, etc because of an old tyre.

Also, i gather that 195/60 R15 is a good upsize choice. How can i check if my alloys can accommodate this size (I got aftermarket alloys) Also, will this upsize have any positive impact on the ground clearance?
Old 4th January 2014, 15:41   #204
BHPian

Quote:

I have been suggested 185/70 R14 Apollo Vectra by one dealer.I don't see good reviews for them.

I am also planning to get 4 new tyres and keep one of the existing tyres (the one in best condition out of the 4) as a spare wheel as the dealer is willing to take the current spare wheel which is nearly unused since 6 years at a good price. I dont see a reason to use the current good spare tyre and get 3 new tyres as it is not recommended to use a 6 years old tyre. Please suggest the following:

Thanks
Hey Maddy,

I know I'm replying late but I'd like to point out a couple of things.

1) 185/70 r14 is a completely wrong upsize.

185/65 r14 will be a better upsize to increase the ground clearance without causing problems to the car.

2) There is no tyre Apollo Vectra. Its either Apollo Acelere or JK Vectra available in the size.

You can opt for Apollo Aceleres. They are good tyres. Or any from the other reputed brands.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 16:02   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
Guys, the tyres on my City VTEC MT have clocked 38000 kms on the OEM MRF tyres. When should i start considering replacing the tyres? I drive on the Mumbai Pune expressway almost 2-3 times a month so don't want to chance a tyre burst, etc because of an old tyre.

Also, i gather that 195/60 R15 is a good upsize choice. How can i check if my alloys can accommodate this size (I got aftermarket alloys) Also, will this upsize have any positive impact on the ground clearance?
Hey Vinod,

I own a City VTEC MT myself with after market alloys and recently change from the stock Michelins to Yokohama C Drives with an upsize to 195/60/15, I would any day recommend this change to anyone and everyone. It feels like a whole new car, the comfort and grip is mind blowing.

With the stock tyres i used to always complain about the City feels very delicate and of course the car would touch almost every speed breaker in Bombay but after the upsize no touching at all so GC has considerably improved and it does not feel delicate at all any more. The grip is just amazing and the upsize has also completely changed the stance of the car in terms of looks. The only down side is a moderate drop in FE.

Attaching a few pics of the looks of the car after the tyre upsize for your reference.

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1477371_10151721906471863_460687014_n.jpg

Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1461382_10151721906526863_1079060111_n.jpg

Regards,
VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 16:06   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hey Vinod, I own a City VTEC MT myself with after market alloys and recently change from the stock Michelins to Yokohama C Drives with an upsize to 195/60/15, I would any day recommend this change to anyone and everyone. It feels like a whole new car, the comfort and grip is mind blowing. With the stock tyres i used to always complain about the City feels very delicate and of course the car would touch almost every speed breaker in Bombay but after the upsize no touching at all so GC has considerably improved and it does not feel delicate at all any more. The grip is just amazing and the upsize has also completely changed the stance of the car in terms of looks. The only down side is a moderate drop in FE. Attaching a few pics of the looks of the car after the tyre upsize for your reference. Regards, VVB
Thanks vvb... How do these types fare on noise front? On concrete roads especially.
Old 4th January 2014, 18:37   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
Thanks vvb... How do these types fare on noise front? On concrete roads especially.
I would recommend Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 for the grippiest and quietest tyres.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:09   #208

Thanks Baddychat and Thumpingheart. but unfortunately I have gone ahead with the 185/70/R14 upsize on JK Vectras. :( . The dealer is somewhat known to me and while installing, on his constant insistence, (I got him to change from 185/70/R14 to stock size 175/65/R14, since I had read Baddychat's post, and then finally to 185/70/R14 vectra's, when he kept on pushing me into buying 185/70. ) and his assurance that he would take full responsibility in case of any problems, I had to give in.

I do not fully know what kind of damage it might cause to the car in future and that worries me. Can anyone throw some light on it?
Old 6th January 2014, 19:14   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Baddychat and Thumpingheart. but unfortunately I have gone ahead with the 185/70/R14 upsize on JK Vectras. :( . The dealer is somewhat known to me and while installing, on his constant insistence, (I got him to change from 185/70/R14 to stock size 175/65/R14, since I had read Baddychat's post, and then finally to 185/70/R14 vectra's, when he kept on pushing me into buying 185/70. ) and his assurance that he would take full responsibility in case of any problems, I had to give in.

I do not fully know what kind of damage it might cause to the car in future and that worries me. Can anyone throw some light on it?
Hey Maddy.

Don't worry. Usually no major damage occurs to the car due to oversized tyres. But here is a list of what can go wrong in ascending order of severity.

1) The pick up seems to reduce. The car needs to be revved higher to get it going and to accelerate. The engine may seem stressed.
2) The mileage goes down a few notches.
3) The steering becomes heavier. Steering system may come under stress.
4) The suspension may come under stress as it is set up for a different tyre size (stock).
5) The drive shaft / engine / transmission may come under stress. This may or may not damage the said components.
6) Car may feel bouncy or may roll more in corners. High speed stability may decrease slightly.

But usually bigger tyres may not pose such a big problem. This can happen in very rare cases or if the car is not driven with care.

Some positives -

1) Higher ground clearance.
2) Better braking.
3) Low speed comfort should be better.
3) Engine should feel more relaxed on highways, as it runs at lower rpm at high speeds.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 6th January 2014 at 19:17.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:26   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I do not think this is the proper upgrade unless you are changing your wheels along with it. And even if you do there would be a dip in GC which is not something that you would want on your Honda City.
Stick to stock size on OEM alloys or use the standard upsize which people do with the overhead of a drop in FE.

Cheers
Why not ? when the same City has this sizes in other countries ? Will overall car dimentions change from country to country ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks