Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2005, 21:09   #1
BHPian

Mags & Alloys - Whats the difference?

hey guys please tell me what is the difference between alloy wheels and mag wheels and which are better?
Old 7th April 2005, 21:37   #2
BHPian

both of them are one & the same

details : http://www.grmotorsports.com/wheels.html
Old 7th April 2005, 22:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
both of them are one & the same
In a way you're right but, isn't there a magnesium alloy and an alluminium alloy? I think what we normally use is alluminium alloy.

What alloys are the ones on the Vtec? Alluminium?

Shan2nu
Old 7th April 2005, 23:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

the ones on the vtec are alluminium alloys
basically mags are just a different name for alloy wheel.and they are the same.the distributots themselves really dont know the difference !!!
Old 7th April 2005, 23:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Often I get customers inquiring, "Do you keep mag wheels?" What they generally mean or refer to are 'cast light-alloy wheels'. No doubt alloys have great advantages over pressed steel wheels or wire-spoke ones but most alloys are bought or fitted simply to impress the neighbours. There are two types of alloy wheels available, one the more common aluminium alloy, and the other is expensive magnesium alloy wheel.

A typical aluminium alloy has a density of about one-third that of steel. Cast magnesium alloys are even lighter, having a density slightly less than one-quarter that of steel. A cast magnesium alloy rim gives greater improvement in the specific strength over typical steel pressed rim when considering the tensile strength per unit density, yet weighs considerably less.
read more...
I don't think magnesium alloy is a diff name for alloys in general, thay have their own significance and useage.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th April 2005 at 23:24.
Old 7th April 2005, 23:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
isn't there a magnesium alloy and an alluminium alloy?
Ya I was thinking the same thing but wasn't quite sure. Now I am. There are two types of alloy wheels. Magnesium Alloy and Aluminium Alloy, but if I'm not wrong, they both contain a percentage of Aluminium to make it light and strong.
Old 7th April 2005, 23:32   #7
BHPian

yes. as Revtech said, technically it must be different (sorry for the wrong quote i made earlier) but the alloy wheels we buy are referred as "mags" or "alloys" by most of us.
Old 7th April 2005, 23:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
I don't think magnesium alloy is a diff name for alloys in general, thay have their own significance and useage.

Shan2nu

very true shan2nu, infact we have magnesium alloys, aluminium alloys and there are also some more alloy compositions.....also avaiable!
Old 7th April 2005, 23:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but the alloy wheels we buy are referred as "mags" or "alloys" by most of us.
In layman's terms, yes but, techincally mags aren't alloys, they are a type of alloy. You might well be asking for mag wheels but what you are actually buying is alluminium alloy (unless you're specific)

Shan2nu
Old 8th April 2005, 00:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
In layman's terms, yes but, techincally mags aren't alloys, they are a type of alloy. You might well be asking for mag wheels but what you are actually buying is alluminium alloy (unless you're specific)

Shan2nu

hey shan i understand what you are saying but do sellers really stock mag wheels.i think all they have is the normal alloy wheels which are seen on most cars.

By the what is the difference between these two and do any cars come stock WITH MAG wheels??
Old 8th April 2005, 00:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the what is the difference between these two
It's mentioned in the link, in the 5th post.

Quote:
and do any cars come stock WITH MAG wheels??
I don't think any indian cars come with it. Maybe the Subaru and the Mitsu Evo might be getting one off those since they're the AWD rally kinda cars.

Shan2nu
Old 8th April 2005, 04:35   #12
BHPian

Mag wheels - magnesium alloy wheels used in racing why mg Alloy very strong, light and blah blah .... very very costly one of my friends has on porshe cayne costed 4 laks for 4, not worth it..

alloy wheels used for street cars -aluminium alloy.. for style style and performance (very neglible)

I have a 14 year old cousin who thinks mags are wheels that come out of the car and a dog which pisses on them every time it passes by them...
Old 8th April 2005, 05:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

thats what i was saying before.being very expensive no Indian dealer stocks them nor do they come as OEM with any indian car. so for us indians alloys are alloys and so are mags. we wont have an option to chose. according to every one bothe of them will be the same thing
Old 8th April 2005, 08:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so for us indians alloys are alloys and so are mags. we wont have an option to chose. according to every one bothe of them will be the same thing
See, just bcoz we take them to be the same, it doesn't make them the same. What Hot Rod wanted to know was the diff between these 2.

Even his question wasn't clear as he's trying to differenciate between alloy wheels and mag wheels.

So, the right answer to that would be that all magnesium alloy wheels are alloys but, not all alloy wheels are made of magnesium alloy.

The main reason why these wheels are called "Alloys" is bcoz - Alloy is a homogeneous mixture or solid solution of two or more metals, the atoms of one replacing or occupying interstitial positions between the atoms of the other.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th April 2005 at 08:53.
Old 8th April 2005, 10:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

as the general thing is said above:
mag wheels- it is the general/sland term used for magnesium based alloys which are very very expensive and used on high end sports cars or supercars. they are extremely light yet stronger than regular alloy wheels.
alloy wheels- these is again teh general/slang word used for stylish wheels made of an aluminium based alloys. they are lighter than the stock pressed rims and are better looking. but not as strong as the magnesium alloys.
you also get carbon wheels which are agai more expensive than regular alloy wheels.

Most Viewed