Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 13:01   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - New tyres for Lancer - Help Needed!

Hi Guys!

My father is looking to change the tyres on his Lancer and he needs advice. His most important requirements are ride quality (Mum suffers from slipped disc prolapse) and comfort while grip, handling etc come last. Also, he is not looking to upsize (unless it will help in providing a plush ride).

He had gone to JC Road where someone suggested some Kyoto tyres. I told him to wait while I asked you guys because I have never heard of those.

Also, please point out a shop where the tyres you suggest are available and their approximate price? This is purely to get a lead on a trusted store so my Dad doesn't get ripped off.

Please give suggestions ASAP. He leaves town in a few days.

Cheers!
Old 9th December 2008, 14:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the size of the rims? 13"/ 14"? SFX was 14", GL/SLX was 13".

Go in for Tubeless tyres with a high aspect ratio. I have had good luck with Bridgestone Turanzas.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

If it's 14" rims then best size for ride comfort is 185/65-14 and the tyre with good ride is Michelin energy XM1+.

If it's 13" then go for same 175/80-13 in michelin.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2008, 14:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, try to look for birla or pirelli. They give the best ride quality.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:58   #5
BHPian

I think the stock comes with 14".Bluu all depends on the amount of money you want to invest. As abhi has said tubeless , now brands vary with the dough. you can go for bridgstone Goodyear GSDs, or if higher bracket allows you then Yoko's or the PP-II's. No need of upsizing.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:59   #6
BHPian

Since your mom has a back problem, I would strongly suggest 13-inchers, since 14ers can make the drive harsher.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
Also, please point out a shop where the tyres you suggest are available and their approximate price? This is purely to get a lead on a trusted store so my Dad doesn't get ripped off.
Pls go to SuperTyre Tec at JC Road, you will get the best deal.
Meet Prakash there, he knows about me and Team Bhp very well.

His phone number is floating in this forum somewhere, if you dont get pls PM me. I will pass it on.

Abhi
Old 9th December 2008, 18:21   #8
BHPian

Thank you!

The Lancer is an SLX so its 13" by default. My fault, should have mentioned it in my initial post.

Money is not really the crux. Main thing is comfort.

Will direct Dad to SuperTyre Tec, thanks Abhi! cheers:

Most of my searching resulted in people favoring Michelins. Now this is all just averaged and I know many people will have different opinions.

Will let my old man take the final decision.

However, a person at one of the shops suggested to Dad that he go for a slightly wider tyre, which will result in better grip and comfort. I can understand the grip bit but will a wider tyre give better comfort as well? Will it be worth the extra money?

Thank you all for quick responses. If all goes well he should have the tyres tomorrow. Will update then!

Cheers!

Last edited by Bluu : 9th December 2008 at 18:28.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

The comfort factor is usually determined by 2 factors with regards to the tyres:
1. The quality of the rubber
2. The width of the sidewall

"Wider" tyres often lead to thinner sidewalls - these are the so-called low profiles tyres, which look great and are better in terms of handling, but they do compromise on comfort.
Would suggest you stick to the stock Lancer tyre size (175/80/13). Get a tyre that is engineered more for comfort, and less for performance.
Lots of options, some of them being Michelin XM1+, Yokohama A Drives etc. Look around this section and you will learn of more options.
All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks