Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:38   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hiring a taxi? Check it's tyres. - Error - it was an Alto

Note from Mod - it was found later on, it was an Alto, not a Sumo

Today I got news that a friend of mine died in a road accident on the Pune Bangalore highway. He was here for Christmas and was on his way back to his college.

They were travelling in a Sumo. There were 4 boys and a driver. Somewhere on the road, the tyre burst and the car rolled over and hit the median. All 3 boys in the back seat lost their lives.

Add to this the fact that most taxis that come to our shop have really bad tyres. They dont bother changing them as it costs MONEY.

This is pathetic on the part of the taxi companies. They are playing around with people's lives here.

I dont know how bad/good the tyres on the Sumo were. Just that I have seen plenty of taxis running on tyres that shouldnt be allowed on our roads.

Today, this MIGHT have affected me personally. I have no proof of that. But next time you hire a taxi for a long distance drive, make sure the tyres are good.

If the customer starts insisting on this, then the taxi companies have no choice but to take heed of us.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th January 2009 at 09:40.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your friends Nikhil. A very valid point that you have pointed out to w.r.t the condition of the tyres. I surely will pass the message around to everyone that I know to be sure a check is made in these lines before embarking on a journey in a death trap such as this.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:18   #3
BHPian

Its very sad to here this. But this is very true in Bangalore road too. You can see all the Company cabs are running with almost bald Tyre. And what are the risk they are taking ?
1. Life of the Employee.
2. Life of the Pedestrian
3. Danger for the Near by Vehicle
This Greedy Cab Company are making life horrible.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

^^^ "Almost bald" tyres are a risk only in wet conditions... not otherwise...

But I'v seen worse - tyres which have worn out to the point that the inner casing can be seen. Now these are a big risk in any condition.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

My condolences to the families of your friends you have lost lives dur to this accident.

+1 to what you have said. We need to be extra careful on this. But how this can be implemented remains a big issue. Consider this for example: You book a taxi and inform them about all the safety things to be there in the car including the tyres. But on the D day the travel company will send you with the taxi which has bald tyres. What will be your reaction? You cannot cancel the tour, you cannot go to another travels as getting one more taxi would take long time, we cannot wait for another taxi to come (from the same travels) as we would be late to reach our destination. We usually tend to accept mumbling against travels and then start of journey. AFAIK, this is what happens in most of the cases.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about you friend, Nikhil!

And agree with what Snaronikar said.

It is true that most of us will not look at the maintenance of the vehicle that we are traveling in when we book a cab. The most we look for is to check if the ac is working along with the ICE and also if the seats are comfortable. And these are things we insist on. But then, if we were to tell the travel's guy that the vehicle should be having good tire's, I doubt if we ever will get one that satisfies us. A risk that all of us take, partly due to ignorance, partly due to the lack of options! :(
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:14   #7
Team-BHP Support

I agree with snaronikar. You can't see the tyres until the taxi comes. If you tell them about your good tyre requirement, they'll neither understand nor comply. Only if you are repeat customer, you can put some pressure.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can take a look at the vehicle before you pay the advance or confirm the booking. Note down the number of the vehicle and insist them to send the same car. Reconfirm before the travel date. Tell them clearly that you are even ready to cancel the booking if a different vehicle was sent. Looks like we start on a bad note, but we will end up in safe note

I have hired a qualis to pick me up from a station and take me around 400 kms on that day. Bald tyres.. no seat belts.. rattling like anything.. and add rash driving to the list. Couple of close calls due to the condition of the tyre + driving
Old 2nd January 2009, 18:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ "Almost bald" tyres are a risk only in wet conditions... not otherwise...But I'v seen worse - tyres which have worn out to the point that the inner casing can be seen. Now these are a big risk in any condition.
Raccoon are you trying to say that we can make do with below par grip levels if not driving in wet conditions ?? AFAIC any tyre that has reached it's tred depth indicator level needs to be taken off the rim. All tyre have it marked on them.
Old 2nd January 2009, 18:32   #10
BHPian

HI nikhil , my condolences to the family.Snaronikar is right in those kind of situation you cant do anything. One option is going for reputed travel agency's like Travel House, Hertz etc. But then again the cost involved, will ensure most hiring them personaly would be thinking thrice before rejecting and opting for cheaper indicabs or qualis for that matter. Then there are the standard cabs or taxis, how many are you going to let go because of their tyres.its practicaly impossible to be so choosy aint it? So here we remain at the mercy of the callous cab owners and a handicapped RTO
Old 2nd January 2009, 18:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

You have an early morning flight to catch and book a call taxi for the same. He comes in at 3.30 am and you check the tires. Do you really have an option then to ask for a cab with better tyres ?

Hertz etc can be stretching .. but atleast Meru or some radio cabs can be the best bet.
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about your friend Nikhil.
Nothing can be done about it.
Like Fountainheader mentioned if you are in a hurry like to the airport, you dont have an option do you.

Sadly, the state of indian taxis can never improve ( Not talking about the ones offered by 5 stars et all.)

The last incident i had was .
We were going to Dhikala ( Jim corbett) in a taxi ( Tavera) . A Safari overtaked us and suddenly the driver got so angry that he almost banged into him and almost jumped over the divider. We had to scold him to bring him back to normal.

P.S. I remember his words - Maine har woh gaadi paltaai hai jo meri gaadi ko highway pe overtake karti hai

( Translation : I have turned every car upside down which try to overtake me on the highway )

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 2nd January 2009 at 20:10.
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to read about your friends Nikhil.

this is the reason why i insist on picking up family/friends from airport and don't allow them to take taxi even if the timings are inconvenient. however taxi can't be avoided if you travel to a new place. it helps to book in advance through a known travel agency with clear instructions: clean vehicle, driver should not drive rash, should not smoke, should not use mobile while driving and no stupid music. Hmmm.. now have to add tyre condition to the list.
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am well aware of the situation in our country.

I posted this here while I was still in shock. Didnt think so much before posting. But I hope that at least some of us can get lucky and be taken seriously by the taxi company.

Meru/Easy cabs seem decent for now. Let's see how long it remains like that.
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sad to her about it Nikhil. These private cab operators believe in the minimum investment and maximum profits. Its all the same with buses.We can term ourselves lucky if we perform safe journeys by these modes of conveyance to reach our destinations.
I would always prefer to go by my own car/SUV, train, air and best avoid bus and taxi road journeys on long distance routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks