Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 15:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
One of my friend who owns a Linea needs advice on changing the tyres. Currently, it is running in GT3 and he has completed 46k Kms. He is more or less happy with the performance and lifetime of GT3. Now, he is confused between Michelin and MRF ZLO. He will retain the stock setup of 195/60 R15. Expert advice needed on his tyre replacement. He found that the stock size of Linea is not available in Michelin XM2. Any other better options guys?
If he needs the stock size then MRF ZLO (my stepney tyre is ZLO only bought for Rs.4600 in 195/60/15) is good and cheaper by 1000/ tyre from Michelin Primacy LC 195/60/15.
Me too have the same confusion now so shelfed the idea for some more months.
Dilemma between 195/60/15 and 195/65/15 to increase the GC.
195/60/15 = 117 mm
195/65/15 = 126.75 which is 9.75mm increase in GC.
But 195/65/15 is available in Michelin Primay LC, Continental CPC and some Yokohoma model.
But all the above are crossing 5k/tyre.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 21:35   #62
BHPian

reviving an old thread, but i am planing to upgrade my linea's GC using the new GC upgrade Kit, as per read on various other forums, the new GC setup can fit a 16" tyre...it would be great if i can get some advice on rims and possible 16" tyre, presently i am in Delhi but will be moving to Bangalore, the roads there are not as good as Delhi. I was thinking of getting Potenza G 3 or some other available tyres if they are good, please recommend possible upsize and any other choice besides Potenza's

please suggest a size and possible brand, i am looking for following
Less noise
Increase comfort
durable (less punctures)
Old 24th July 2012, 22:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
reviving an old thread, but i am planing to upgrade my linea's GC using the new GC upgrade Kit, as per read on various other forums, the new GC setup can fit a 16" tyre...it would be great if i can get some advice on rims and possible 16" tyre, presently i am in Delhi but will be moving to Bangalore, the roads there are not as good as Delhi. I was thinking of getting Potenza G 3 or some other available tyres if they are good, please recommend possible upsize and any other choice besides Potenza's

please suggest a size and possible brand, i am looking for following
Less noise
Increase comfort
durable (less punctures)
What is this GC upgrade kit you are talking about? Even I am looking for something of that sort. Please do elaborate.

The stock tyres on my (dad's) Linea have run about 40k kms now and I guess they will be due for replacement in about 5k kms. So, even I'm trying to check out different tyres. Potenza G3 is pretty durable and has a very long life. This I've seen on my cousin's Swift which lasted almost 75k kms.

I understand Michelins are the most comfortable tyres out there in the market right now, so you may want to take a look at them. For a balance between comfort, noise and longevity, you may want to look at Yokohama. I have these on my swift and are doing a decent job.
Old 24th July 2012, 22:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
What is this GC upgrade kit you are talking about? Even I am looking for something of that sort. Please do elaborate.

The stock tyres on my (dad's) Linea have run about 40k kms now and I guess they will be due for replacement in about 5k kms. So, even I'm trying to check out different tyres. Potenza G3 is pretty durable and has a very long life. This I've seen on my cousin's Swift which lasted almost 75k kms.

I understand Michelins are the most comfortable tyres out there in the market right now, so you may want to take a look at them. For a balance between comfort, noise and longevity, you may want to look at Yokohama. I have these on my swift and are doing a decent job.
Fiat Linea official GC upgrade kit which increases GC of Fiat Linea to 185 MM, this guy on team fiat got it done you can check

Fiat Linea Upgrade Kit you might have to edit the link for the correct website or you can google fiat linea GC upgrade kit

Actually my friend's friend has a swift with Yoko's in Bangalore, he gets punctures often..michelin only has Primary LC available in 16". I am planing 205/60/155 any recommendation on PCD's and Tyre Size?

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 24th July 2012 at 22:35.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 08:42   #65
BHPian

Guys, what is an ideal tyre for brand a new Linea T-Jet. The stock tyres are Goodyear GT3 205/60/R16.

A few have suggested to me Michelin Primacy LC 205/55/R16? Most importantly, are they durable enough for bad roads? Often have to travel on kuccha paths. What are other tyres I can look up?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:13   #66
BHPian

At 49K recently I Switched from stock GY GT3 (195 60R15) to Bridgestone TURANZA ER300 (195 65/R15). There is huge improvement in Ride, Tyre Noise and Ground clearence.

Michelin and Bridgestone were on my choice list. Chose Bridgestone because of India manufacturing, design for India conditions and price. Michelins in India are imported from China/Taiwan and expensive.

Would recommend a Bridgestone.

BTW, Stock GY GT3 lasted for 49K without any puncture, on durability front it was good, but tyre noise and ride quality with GY GT3 is poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, what is an ideal tyre for brand a new Linea T-Jet. The stock tyres are Goodyear GT3 205/60/R16.

A few have suggested to me Michelin Primacy LC 205/55/R16? Most importantly, are they durable enough for bad roads? Often have to travel on kuccha paths. What are other tyres I can look up?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:

When it comes to 16 inchers, choices are few.
You have Acelleres which would cost I think b.w 6.8 to 7.3k per tyre.
You get Good Year Fuel Max which are around 7.5-8k.
Bridgestone Potenza g3 which are around 8.5-8.8k.
Michelin Primacy LCs which are around 9-9.5k
Yokohama DB series - 8.5-8.8k
Conti CPC2 - 8.5-9k

I am not including performance tyres like Apollo Aspire, Michelin PS2/PS3 etc.

I am in the same boat where I need to replace my SX4s tyres soon. I think even though Primacy LCs are a bit costly, they are better among the lot. We have a innova which runs on them. The noise is very less, very comfy and has good dry/wet grip.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 12:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
When it comes to 16 inchers, choices are few.
You have Acelleres which would cost I think b.w 6.8 to 7.3k per tyre.
You get Good Year Fuel Max which are around 7.5-8k.
Bridgestone Potenza g3 which are around 8.5-8.8k.
Michelin Primacy LCs which are around 9-9.5k
Yokohama DB series - 8.5-8.8k
Conti CPC2 - 8.5-9k

I am not including performance tyres like Apollo Aspire, Michelin PS2/PS3 etc.

I am in the same boat where I need to replace my SX4s tyres soon. I think even though Primacy LCs are a bit costly, they are better among the lot. We have a innova which runs on them. The noise is very less, very comfy and has good dry/wet grip.
My bad above, my OEM tires are 205/55/R16 and not 205/60/R16.

Anyways, how would you rate Yoko S-Drives?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
My bad above, my OEM tires are 205/55/R16 and not 205/60/R16.

Anyways, how would you rate Yoko S-Drives?
I dont think there are 16 inchers in S-Drives.
Old 7th October 2012, 21:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
At 49K recently I Switched from stock GY GT3 (195 60R15) to Bridgestone TURANZA ER300 (195 65/R15). There is huge improvement in Ride, Tyre Noise and Ground clearence.
I am looking at changing my tyres in about a month or so as my GT3 are almost worn out and Bridgestone is my favorite too. And I wanted to upgrade to 65 profile ones for ride. Though I am not particular about ground clearance, it will be a bonus.

My question for you is: What did you do with your spare tyre? Did you upgrade it too? My spare is used only for 2 kms and as good as new. Can I keep the 60 profile spare and would it be a problem when I use it with the other 65 profile ones? It's very unlikely that I will use it for more than a few kms in case of a flat. I am not particularly keen on giving it away for a cheap price.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:52   #71
BHPian

Spare tyre on my Linea was unused. Dealer said, in case of picture, you can safely use it as a spare for few hundred KMs, no need to change. Hence, it was retained.

The ground clearence is a very big plus with upsizing to 195 65/R15. My Linea is no more bottoming to the humps it used to earlier , in fact it hasn't bottomed since the upsize.

The ride is super quiet. After tyre change I couldn't believe I was sitting in same car. It was like mini transformation of my Linea.

Few TIPs:-

1) Before changing tyre, ask dealer for how much discount he will offer for old tyres. In my case, I deferred it till new tyres were put on the alloys, only to get a response from dealer that he won't be able to offer any discount and was asking me to carry it if I wanted.

2) Use Nitrogen to inflate tyres. I used Nitrogen on stock GT3 all the time, the pressure remained 33 for almost 2 years until their replacement.

3) Wheel Balancing, alignment, and Rotation at every 5K to prolong life of tyre. On stock GT3, unfortunately I did this may be twice or max thrice during their 49K life. Planning to follow 5K interval now on.

All the best with tyre change/upgrade for your Linea, keep us posted on your experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I am looking at changing my tyres in about a month or so as my GT3 are almost worn out and Bridgestone is my favorite too. And I wanted to upgrade to 65 profile ones for ride. Though I am not particular about ground clearance, it will be a bonus.

My question for you is: What did you do with your spare tyre? Did you upgrade it too? My spare is used only for 2 kms and as good as new. Can I keep the 60 profile spare and would it be a problem when I use it with the other 65 profile ones? It's very unlikely that I will use it for more than a few kms in case of a flat. I am not particularly keen on giving it away for a cheap price.
Autocop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Spare tyre on my Linea was unused. Dealer said, in case of picture, you can safely use it as a spare for few hundred KMs, no need to change. Hence, it was retained.
Few TIPs:-
Thanks a lot for all the helpful information and the tips too. Now that I know I can use a smaller profile tire as a spare, I guess I will just replace just the four tires.

One of the online retailers show the price of about 5,572 per piece for the TURANZA ER300. Does anyone from Bangalore think I can get better deals anywhere else in Bangalore? Any information would be very much appreciated.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:04   #73
BHPian

Caution with Tyre Upgrade:-

Upsize to 195 65/R15 in Linea will introduce 3% speedo Error.

Let me illustrate, after upsize to 195 65/R15, I paid a visit to Jalna, with my usual route trip shows 447 KMs (one way), however after reaching Thane, I noticed Trip was showing 434 KMs, was puzzled and thinking if I took a diversion or something, only to realize after few mins that this was due to tire upsize. To get actual distance travelled, had to divide 434 by 0.97 = 447.

To get actual figures from Speedo, Odometer and both Trip meters you will need to divide by 0.97 (or 0.969154 to be very accurate).

Avg FE A/B (divide by 0.97 to get actual figure)
Avg Speed A/B (divide by 0.97 to get actual figure)
Dist A/B (divide by 0.97 to get actual figure)

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Thanks a lot for all the helpful information and the tips too. Now that I know I can use a smaller profile tire as a spare, I guess I will just replace just the four tires.

One of the online retailers show the price of about 5,572 per piece for the TURANZA ER300. Does anyone from Bangalore think I can get better deals anywhere else in Bangalore? Any information would be very much appreciated.
Old 9th October 2012, 13:16   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Caution with Tyre Upgrade:-

Upsize to 195 65/R15 in Linea will introduce 3% speedo Error.
Ah! That looks like a deal-breaker to me :( Is there a way this can be corrected/configured by the Fiat service folks with their programming tool. I guess I will have to check with them before I go for the tire upgrade.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:49   #75
h14
BHPian

But I do not consider speedo error as a serious issue. I'm very happy with the upgrade and have never scrapped anywhere. Upgraded the tires to 195/65/15 PLC from day one and done 18k kms.

More details in here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rship-log.html

Tire up-size details on page 2&3 of that thread. Hope it will be of some help.

Most Viewed