Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 16:38   #181
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If you do a high speed drive regularly, I will not recommend mixing and matching. Get 2 more Alnacs and be happy. A Sidewall puncture can happen to any tyre. Dont blame only the Alnacs for that.

P3ST in 205/55-16 is around 10,250/- per tyre.
Aha, well I'd differ with you on that. I can bet my dog poopy on the fact that Alnacs have soft sidewalls. I see how its getting all the good press in Europe. It is definitely gonna perform brilliantly in Europe. I could already see that the tyres had actually settled down really well post 1000 odds km. Easily it was more comforting. Feedback was also improving (or was I getting used to the lack of feedback). Grip was never in doubt since beginning. Anyways long story cut short, I would bet my life more on GT3 which did not get a single puncture after 27k of driving across Delhi to Goa in different places, conditions etc.
For me, having two different set of tyres should be fine as
1. Current set of Alnacs are brand new and of the same size as the new GT3s. So, its not a case of a set of old pair with a set of new ones.
2. For FWD, it is a universally accepted practice to have two different sets considering that the similar sets are put in each axle.
3. Hopefully, next month or so, with some vitamin M, I can go for replacing the remaining pair.
Old 14th June 2014, 17:53   #182
BHPian

Got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres on all fours, cost 6900 each 205/55-R16 91V. Immediate difference I can feel is improvement in braking (dry), it did rain but dried up soon so yet to drive in wet weather. Can't comment on tyre noise yet, but ride comfort seems to have fallen, though this could be due to the air pressure.

I also saw Vredestein tyres in a shop, highly rated in reviews but the one I saw was 225/45-R17 , too large.
Old 8th July 2014, 17:22   #183
Senior - BHPian

Hello

Just getting a tjet in the next two days. It is the active variant. Could you guys help me out with the upsizes? The emotion comes with 205/55/16 right? What would be the upsize for that? thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 11:44   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont upsize unnecessarily. Stick to the OEM size. It's more than enough. Get some better rubber like the P3ST, Pirelli or CPC2.
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:15   #185
BHPian

Linea Tyre Change

Hi Friends,

I am confused about how to go about it, I need your expertise help on deciding. Here is my problem statement:

My Linea has ticked only 24K but 2 of the tires were worn out from inner side. The reason for that is I had skipped the WA and WB. I came to know about the tyre worn out when I went to to the WA and WB after 23K for the first time . Front two tires were worn out from inside, the guy who did the WA and WB changed the rear tires to front.I am attaching the pictures so that you can see it.

Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rear1.jpg
Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rear2.jpg
Now I have two options:

Option one:

My Spare tyre is unused and new , so I will use that and buy one more tyre (Good year GT3 as this was the OEM tyre and match with the spare tyre).
So I will put my two new tyre (spare & newly baught) oon the front and current front would be moved to rear. Attching the two good tires currently running on front and I think they can go for another 10K (looking at the tread)

Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-front1.jpg
Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-front2.jpg

Option two:

I go with all new 4 tyres. If yes which brand, that I think can be a new discussion based on my usage but that can be discussed after I take a decision on this.

Guys please suggest.

Thanks in Advance!!!
AbiS is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:50   #186
BHPian

Re: Linea Tyre Change

HI,

I am also running the same size on my Manza with the same problem.

Skipped WA and WB since 60k kms and now, past 90K kms my Yokohama A drives have been eaten away from the inner edges .

With my limited knowledge, I found the MRF ZLOs good . Planning to go for the same size again.

Here is a related thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-tyres-17.html

Mods, kindly merge if needed.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:24   #187
BHPian

Guys I need urgent help to replace CPC2 tires on my Linea emotion bought in Feb 2012. Then I had gone for these instead of stock Goodyear tires and now after 2 1/2 yrs and 39K Km, tires are completely gone. Actually i should have changed them couple of months ago.

What are other options in Yokohoma, Michelin, Bridgstone and other good brands? Not looking to compromise on the tire quality though.

I may be travelling with fully loaded car on Friday and then thereafter so I need to change by tomorrow. And can I alter tire size little bit, like go for 205/60/16 instead of 205/55/16?
Old 26th November 2014, 18:04   #188
BHPian

Going for P3ST stock size for 9600 per tire and sony charger as gift. Also thinking of going for 205/60/16 if the dealer has these in stock.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

Any advantage in going for the 60 profile instead of the stock 55 apart from the perceived benefit of extra cushioning, which actually won't matter much except going over ruts at very slow speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Going for P3ST stock size for 9600 per tire and sony charger as gift. Also thinking of going for 205/60/16 if the dealer has these in stock.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:41   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Finally installed P3-ST stock size as dealer was also against upsizing. The final price was 9500 per tire and I got Lotto track suit free instead of sony charger as he is yokohoma dealer also.
The ride back home from dealer of just more than 1km was felt very good as compared to with old tires.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:40   #191
BHPian

Price difference between 15" and 16" is ridiculous, few months back when inquired about a 195 65/R15 tyre at a CEAT dealer received a quote for 4800 a piece, about couple of years back I changed stock Linea tyres (195 60/R15) to a minor upgrade 195 65/R15 from Bridgestone, then it costed me 5400 a piece, compared to that the 16" price below sounds quite steep, wonder why?

Quote:
Finally installed P3-ST stock size as dealer was also against upsizing. The final price was 9500 per tire and I got Lotto track suit free instead of sony charger as he is yokohoma dealer also.
The ride back home from dealer of just more than 1km was felt very good as compared to with old tires.
Old 6th September 2015, 16:14   #192
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My TJet+ drives as if it's on a road full of undulations when driven slowly on a flat road. I've been told by the service techs that the alloys are all bent. I run Yokohama's AVS dB on all four since November '13 (approx. 26k km) and I love its noiselessness.

Given how expensive the 16" OEM alloys are, I'm considering a change to the 15" OEM steel rims.

I've noticed in the reviews of the facelift TJet that the 15" steel stepney rim is labeled with a caution not to cross 80kmph: Is this a restriction of the
- rim or the
- tyre it's shod with or the
- fact that once the 15" tyre'd stepney has replaced a punctured 16" tyre'd alloy, the remaining three wheels are 16" alloy + wider tyre?

If running all four wheels with the 15" steel OEM rim plus 195/60R15 is not a problem for the TJet+:

a.
What's a good successor (lowest tyre noise, best comfort) to the AVS dB?
- Michelin 3ST?
- Continental MC5?
- stick to AVS dB V550?

b.
Is there a TJet running such a combo (either straight from factory or later converted in the manner I describe)? If yes, can someone tell me whether the OEM recommendation of 36PSI at front and 33PSI at the rear still applies?

Last edited by nareshov : 6th September 2015 at 16:17.
Old 7th September 2015, 01:26   #193
Senior - BHPian

Stick to 16" as the 15" will take away the ride quality.

More importantly alloys do not go out of shape just like that. So unless you have really hammered them on bad roads etc, take up the matter with FIAt as this is clearly a manufacturing defect and the alloy should be replaced under warranty.

AVS dB can only be bettered in silent running by the P3ST and none other

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
My TJet+ drives as if it's on a road full of undulations when driven slowly on a flat road. I've been told by the service techs that the alloys are all bent. I run Yokohama's AVS dB on all four since November '13 (approx. 26k km) and I love its noiselessness.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 07:46   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Stick to 16" as the 15" will take away the ride quality.

More importantly alloys do not go out of shape just like that. So unless you have really hammered them on bad roads etc, take up the matter with FIAt as this is clearly a manufacturing defect and the alloy should be replaced under warranty.

AVS dB can only be bettered in silent running by the P3ST and none other

Sir; Mind explaining, how the switch from 205/55/16 to 195/60/15 will mess up the ride quality?
Old 7th September 2015, 16:33   #195
BHPian

Quote:
My TJet+ drives as if it's on a road full of undulations when driven slowly on a flat road. I've been told by the service techs that the alloys are all bent.
Quote:
As a matter of fact alloys getting bent is fairly common - we underestimate the stresses our roads put on cars. Don't take my word for it; ask any car or tyre workshop. However, they are relatively more resistant to bending compared to steel rims.

However, all 4 alloys being bent seems strange. Why don't you get it checked from an independent tyre shop. Also, since all four are bent, there's no harm in putting a warranty claim, mentioning a weak lot. Unlikely you'll get it but you have nothing to lose. Ensure you get a formal no from Fiat - not the dealer saying no at his own end.

Quote:
Given how expensive the 16" OEM alloys are, I'm considering a change to the 15" OEM steel rims.
Quote:
Stick to 16" as the 15" will take away the ride quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Sir; Mind explaining, how the switch from 205/55/16 to 195/60/15 will mess up the ride quality?
Ride quality cannot be affected by a downsize. While it is tyre dependent, the 1" of extra sidewall is more likely to provide a little bit more cushioning.

However, again, depending on the tyre, because of the extra sidewall, you are likely to get marginally more roll. Technically, the dynamics will be affected, but this will be marginal, and unless you race / autocross 24x7, not something that will be felt in 99% of your usage.

If I might add, the real saving is not on the alloys - 16" alloys cost barely Rs. 4-5000 more, for 4 alloys, than 15" alloys. The real saving is in the tyres, where 15" tyres tend to be about 40% cheaper than 16" tyres. But, since you're planning to shift to steel wheels, you might see an increase in unladen weight - steel being heavier than mag alloys, and am unsure if a 1" decrease in size will offset it. This may mean a marginal increase in mileage. Going in for 15" alloys will in fact lead to lower unladen weight, so may not be a bad idea.

Also, are you ok with the visuals of your car running on 15" - the lower sidewalls of 16" do look much smarter.

Quote:
I've noticed in the reviews of the facelift TJet that the 15" steel stepney rim is labeled with a caution not to cross 80kmph
The recommendation is because you are running a different size tyre with a different profile. The traction & grip characteristics will differ from your other 3 tyres, therefore high speed driving can be dangerous. Per se, 195 is not an inadequate width.

Quote:
Can someone tell me whether the OEM recommendation of 36PSI at front and 33PSI at the rear still applies?
The new tyres are likely to have similar load characteristics, so the recommendation still stands. However, as with any tyre, you need to adjust the pressure basis your driving style and the specific tyre characteristics. So, go up a bit, or go down, and see what you like better.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed