Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 14:48   #16
BHPian

@Finney, Ishaan, JVH, Normally crazy & sbala... thank you for your responses. So people are happy with either of them and I am glad I am on the right track.

@Ishaan, if I am not mistaken, the tread design of the Apollos is very similar to that of the Michelins? Except that they lack the silica tread compound? Frankly, have never enquired about these tyres, although there are good reviews on the forum. Will take them into consideration as well.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
My experience goes from Bridgestone S322, Yoko ES 100, Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 and now ER 60 195/60 R 14 on UVA.

They are silent....the road grip is amazing

Got them from Bombay tyre at Milan subway for 3950 / -per piece a month back.

I have never used XM1 or +

The previous experience with Bridgstone has been good....S322 no Punctures

Yoko - ES-100 - 2 punctures in 2 months
NCT 5 - so many (3 I corrected and lived with 1 till I traded off for ER60) in 7 months
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I used Turanzas on my OHC and presety using XM1+ on my adventure....i think i would prefer Turanzas any day.
Two very important reviews there. Thanks. @lohithrao, it would be nice if you could substantiate a bit on the negatives / positives of the two tyres since you are using both of them?
Old 20th January 2009, 15:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Do turanzas come in 195/60 R 15?
The web site say they are availabe, have a look :-

Passenger Car Tyres & Automobile Tyres India I Potenza tires, Turanza tires, Dueler tires, Donut tyres | Bias, Radial, Tubeless tires
Old 20th January 2009, 15:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Does anyone know where Yokos could be available in Hyderabad. I am looking for 185/65 or 195/60 in 14".
Last week I picked up a set of Yokos for a Friend who wanted an upsize on his Zen. They were picked up from Ashoka Wheels, Minister Road. FYI.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do Turanzas come in 175/70-13?
Old 20th January 2009, 15:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

But the dealer in Chennai says only Potenzas were available in 195/60/R15.

I have Yoko A-drives on my Swift. Still early days, but I am really happy with the grip. After driving on skinny tyres on the Santro
Old 20th January 2009, 15:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

roms i did about 20++ kms on Turanazas...majority of the ms was done on the hiway, it saw loads of very bad roads...was fantastic on wet roads remember of few panic braking on the wet tarmac and the car stopped ina straight line.....

And i never had a flat tyre

XM1+ have done about 5k kms still to be tested on wet roads...i dint like the way it behaves on the bad roads...and makse a squeeky noise when on curvy road..
Old 20th January 2009, 15:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Do Turanzas come in 175/70-13?
Yes its available in this size.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:54   #24
BHPian

I have done 8k on my i10 on XM1, low noise, excellent grip on any surface. Had 2 visit on Jaipur Highway with Max 110km/hr.

One Question I have for experts, What is minimum profile we should have for tyre upgrade. I would like to know the +/- for each profile if possible like 45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80... Specially what if you are running on 50 profile on Indian Road conditions. How frequently you have change shoes for you car and how many time you have to change wheels/alloys in case.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
roms i did about 20++ kms on Turanazas...majority of the ms was done on the hiway, it saw loads of very bad roads...was fantastic on wet roads remember of few panic braking on the wet tarmac and the car stopped ina straight line.....

And i never had a flat tyre

XM1+ have done about 5k kms still to be tested on wet roads...i dint like the way it behaves on the bad roads...and makse a squeeky noise when on curvy road..
Nice little comparo there. I am leaning towards the Bridgestones a bit, have'nt yet heard a negative about these tyres. Just realised that even Potenzas GIII come in the stock 175/65 size I am looking for. Now I know these are high performance tyres and I am sure they will be a hoot to drive on, but is the ride uncomfortable or are they very noisy at high speeds? Basically are these over the top for my requirements?

Last edited by roms : 20th January 2009 at 17:58.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Last week I picked up a set of Yokos for a Friend who wanted an upsize on his Zen. They were picked up from Ashoka Wheels, Minister Road. FYI.
Thx Suren, I have talked to this guy, he mentioned they have a shop in Mehdipatnam too.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

My pick XM1+ or Turanza both are comfy tyres. After I changed to XM1+ in my Alto it rides like Innova. Excellant comfort, ZERO noise. I heard good wet grip although I don't have experience. Grip is much much better, I can't remember single time car has skid even in hard braking.

Alto touched 145kmph in NICE road with some effort (wait till 80kmph in 3rd gear and then shift to 4th) in XM1+.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

roms i dont think both of these tyres are noisy...the average speed wht i keep is 100-110 if the roads are good and many instance the speed went up to 150+ never felt if the tyres were noisy..

I feel Turanza is a nice option, it suits the indian road condition well.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:42   #29
BHPian

side wall strenth of ER60

Before I zeroed down to ER 60, I went through few thread on Michelins....I found that there were examples of side wall cut in michelins...its not that they are bad...but Indian roads may be bad for Michelin.

ER 60 are suppose to be steel belted thats what they say....I am assuming, that may be good for Indian condition.

The other thing I noticed was the side wall of GIII is much softer than ER60....I could easily press the tyre down (well not on wheel)....which was difficult in ER 60....
Old 20th January 2009, 20:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Before I zeroed down to ER 60, I went through few thread on Michelins....I found that there were examples of side wall cut in michelins...its not that they are bad...but Indian roads may be bad for Michelin.

ER 60 are suppose to be steel belted thats what they say....I am assuming, that may be good for Indian condition.

The other thing I noticed was the side wall of GIII is much softer than ER60....I could easily press the tyre down (well not on wheel)....which was difficult in ER 60....
Thanks Firebird. What you say about the Michelins makes a lot of sense. I think I have almost made up my mind on the ER-60s. Visited another tyre dealer today and he gave the ER-60s a . Then comes in another confusion, Potenza GIIIs are available in 175/65 R14 and cost about 3750/- a piece, not bad at all for an ultra high performance tyre I think. Must say I am tempted.

I do like handling and a sharp steering, but will the Potenzas be harsh, noisy and will they break my / my family's bones? Cant compromise on my family's comfort a lot since my S10 is also my family car. What say people?

Last edited by roms : 20th January 2009 at 21:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks